What is your deck like?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, May 5, 2006.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I'm looking at different ideas about how people utilize their outside decks around their homes, and how their decks look, size, attached structures or accessories, etc?

2. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

We are fixing to build one.I don't like steps. So we are building ours in tears/ landings.Two steps down to each landing kinda like this.
    http://www.callstevens.com/decks.htm

Ive been wanting to build a brick BBQ pit so it will be built into the bottom landing,with some nice rock out in front of it to protect the deck from burning.Always wanted a built in fish pond to,but not unless the land lord decides to sell to us.He is footing to bill for the deck anyway i want it as long as i promise to stay at least another year. Anyway i want huh. :D

Take a stroll threw you local Lowe's and check out there books on building decks.No one says ya gotta buy them just look threw them and get some ideas.I'm sure they would love for ya to look at them if your buying the lumber from them anyway.

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i had decks like that years ago but now i put my money into cattle much better return then a big deck
    jim

4. moonwolf

I like steping onto 'tiers' also. Thinking of covering over one portion for a something like a 'porch' with perhaps a swing. From there outwards a gazebo idea crosses my mind since it goes downhill not to obstruct the view beyond too much. A hot tub? I like the BBQ or firepit idea that might go just beyond the deck perhaps a walkway to it? So many ideas to consider.

5. Country

Country Well-Known Member

Ours is small and uncovered so it is limited. It was here when we moved in. Not what we would have built. We set up an outdoor canopy over it so at least we can grill when the weather isn't the best.

We have a wild duck nest under the deck. She is sitting on about 10 eggs as far as we can tell.

I have a picture of it but cannot figure out how to put it in the post. I have the Piccassa program. Do I need to change some settings? Is there another forum I should post this on?

6. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Lower Back Deck with Chairs, cull 2 x 4 surface with old posts

[​IMG]
    Back Lower Deck

[​IMG]
    Front Lower Deck Winter, Detail

[​IMG]
    Rocking Chair on Front Lower Deck

[​IMG]
    Upper Back Deck French-double-glazed Door

[​IMG]
    Uppder Back Deck Fields

[​IMG]
    Early Morning High-Summer Deck -- the coffee place. Garden in background at right, a part of field to left in background.

Hope you make a nice deck and love it too,

Alex

7. Brighid1971

Brighid1971 Well-Known Member

Oh Alex, I am so jealous :) That is a beautiful deck and view!!!

To the subject at hand...

We live in semi-suburbia in Southern New Jersey and our home is a "transplant". Our landlord runs a demolition company and brought our home in from Avalon, NJ (a 'beach house'). The majority of homes around here are mobile homes and trailers. There is a small deck off of the front (about 15x7???). I guess I should post pictures...but it's not much of a view at all.

8. MomOf4

MomOf4 Well-Known Member

I got the idea for our "deck" from a friend who rented a house for several years, and didn't want to spend the money on a deck. We own, but since we are planning an addition that will change the back portion of the house, we didn't want anything permanent, yet we didn't want to continue fighting with the chairs sinking in the ground.

We used 4 pallats placed on landscape paper to prevent rot. We covered with 1x4's as decking and painted (we had 1x4's lying around from a booth I had built for my business).

It's about 12'x15', and works great for our patio furniture (which we got on trade). I recently found a wood table and patio umbrella while curbside shopping, so I repainted the deck and table, and it's a great place to hang out. All for free!

I'll try to post a pic...

9. MomOf4

MomOf4 Well-Known Member

Here's our free deck...

[​IMG]

Don't mind the overgrown grass - DH is trying to thicken it up, and refuses to mow... :)

10. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Our deck gets just very little use. It runs the entire lenght of the side of the house, is an exit to the dining area, made of wood, that right now needs staining (it's on my list), it has a wrought iron table and chairs and has a 11' market umberlla for shade. It is very high off the ground, in the summer it is so hot, you can burn your feet if you are not careful--there are too many bugs in last summer to be out at night. In the winter, the wind blows so hard it makes it too chilly to sit out there. The one thing I do love about it: My trolley type clothes line runs off it!!!! :) I can hang 6 huge quilts and they don't drag the ground, I can stand in one place and hang three loads of wash on it. Our grill is on it and we use it all the time, I plant flowers all over the rails and have herbs in pots all over it.
    DH hates it and never goes out there-just to sit. I love to eat out and we will have dinner out there once or twice a month (when our schedules aren't so crazy). But I would love to take the first half of it--put a roof on and screen it in. I think we would use it a lot more.
    Because we have Dachshunds (stairs are a no-no because of their backs) we removed the stairs and place a ramp for their use..

11. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

We made ours out of big, sample cement, 24 by 24 inch squares. The company we got them from, for free, puts patterns on them and color too. My DH had used them in a clients home and they came out to the home with samples. That got us to thinking about what they did with the samples. DH asked and they said we could have all the samples we wanted. They of course don't match but that's OK with us. We prepared the ground by tilling it, leveling it a bit and just laid the squares on top of the ground. It is right outside our back door, with the grill, an umbrella and a few lawn chairs. Frugal too. Also put a few under our yard swing so I don't have to mow under that.

12. chicken

chicken Well-Known Member

Queen Bee, my sister's place has a big deck facing west and it too was too hot so my DH built a lattice work cover for part of it. They planted some vines and it made some nice shade then. Works for them and not too expensive.

13. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

mine is made of brick pallets and concrete block pillars.

oh god... I'm a redneck. :Bawling:

{but its planked and has a nice railing, all from pallet wood... painted nice.}

14. moonwolf

This is the deck just finished for this year. This also is exposed to a harsh open sun view. Thinking next year to roof it over and extend out from there maybe into a moon garden? Will live with it a while and see.
    [​IMG]

15. Brighid1971

Brighid1971 Well-Known Member