what is your daily routine?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by greenacres, Nov 9, 2006.

1. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

Since my daughter started kindergarten I have had a heck of a time getting a routine established again. It has just thrown off everything. And my husband got a new job that has late hours so I am trying to take care of the outside and the inside as well as all the animals, etc. Any tips or hints? Thanks.

2. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

Do up a reasonable schedule and put it on paper.

3. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

I routinely have chaos ! :rolleyes: Actually I like dagwoods idea of a reasonable schedule on paper and be flexiable or you will drive yourself nuts!

4. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

If you put a regular schedule on paper and things go to heck inna handbasket it is always fun (and somewhat stress releiving)to rip it up and throw it away too..... :rolleyes:

5. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

I have tried setting a daily schedule on paper but I think I make it too detailed and too hard to follow. I am schedully (is that a word?) challenged.

6. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Schedule? What schedule? Nobody said nothin' 'bout no schedule! Our schedule never is the same!

7. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

Is your daughter IN school, or do you homeschool? Those are sort of two different kinds of time problems. :)
    Funny you should ask this today. I just spent the last day and a half trying to figure out WHAT my daily routine IS! This is something I have to do every time I add something new to my schedule! Have to figure out where to put it in my day.
    Basically, we get up, do chores, have breakfast, do school, have lunch, then do other stuff that varies depending on the day. But the mornings are always the same.

How I "make" a schedule, is this...
    I write down everything that needs to be done in a day, and then beside it write down how long I think it REALISTICALLY will take. Then I add at least five minutes for "transitions" (longer if kids are involved). That will allow me to factor in the time it takes to stop and start something new. (put stuff away etc...). Then I schedule it. First I put in my fixed activities. Most people probably feed your animals and have your meals at the same time every day. Etc. I do this for every day of the week that you want scheduled. (I can't bring myself to be that regimented on the weekends. :) ). That way I can factor in activites that only happen once a week. Once that shell is done, based on the time left, I "plug in" everything else based on it's importance. Lots of stuff that I would LIKE to do does not get done because they are less important than other things to me, and the time runs out before the activities do. The routines do not have a specific "time" attached to them, and that works because I know how long it should take and I try to hold myself to it. Otherwise, I would still waste too much time, I think.

Don't know if you were even asking for something like that, but maybe it will help somebody. I have been "miss disorganized" most of my life. The above has been VERY helpful.

Cindyc.

8. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Up around 4 a.m. unless insomnia decides I'm getting up at 2:30 a.m. Make coffee, put wood in the fire. Treadmill or bike maybe; shower if I'm not going to be doing dirty work. Have coffee and log on. When I've read what I want to I start working.

6:15 a.m. DD gets up. Talk with her while she has breakfast and gets ready for school. Start chores when she gets in the shower.

7:30 a.m. Take DD and other kids to school.

8 a.m. Home. Finish chores; play with dogs. Bring in firewood. Start dishwasher and laundry. Go over to do list for the day while eating breakfast, if I'm hungry. Tidy up house. Shower if I didn't earlier.

9 a.m. Working. This time of year I'm tipping or making Christmas wreaths, or writing/editing. During the growing season I'm in the garden until it gets too hot to work. Take a walk with the dogs when I get restless at my desk.

2:15 p.m. Leave to pick up DD if she doesn't have basketball practice. Talk with her until around 3:15.

3:15 p.m. DD does homework. I go back to work.

4:15 p.m. Chores before it gets dark. Chores will keep getting earlier until the days start getting longer.

After chores - start dinner. Work until Steve gets home. We eat together as a family. Clean up from supper. Family time.

9. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

Great discussion. I've always been a list person and it changes over the years and there's almost always things left undone at the end of the day, so I group my days giving me more flexibility when the day doesn't go as planned or DH's schedule warrants it.

I have an at-a-glance 70-865p calendar that is my keeper. The calendar section gets changed out every year, but the address section stays. It has the ABC tabs and that is where I list not only contacts alphabetically, but under "G" is a gift ideas list, "S" is for notations of store hours, etc. It goes with me in my bag wherever I go. The calendar gets notations for appointments and events, necessary to-do's I don't want to forget, reminders of when payments are due (in case the mail fails to deliver my bill) and DH's swing schedule.

My list is paperclipped to the front of the calendar and has "categories". Basically, I have a MWF schedule and a TThSa schedule because I work MWF, and then Sunday is separate. Our kids our grown, but I still have to cook, clean, etc. My TThSa is more my "homestead" schedule. I list the following categories and draw a box around them (in no particular order):

Livestock
    I'll jot down 3-4 things besides the regular feeding chores I want to accomplish for the week, like say new bedding for the chickens or work on walking one of the does, etc.
    Cooking
    what I'm planning for supper (note to thaw meat or start something at a certain time, maybe bake bread, canning, etc.
    Cleaning
    I jot down a specific goal, sometimes it's just straightening, could be defrosting the gas frig (a major job) and wouldn't include the everydays like washing dishes, roomba-ing, laundry or bathroom (the bathroom gets quick cleaned one item every couple days while talking to hubby in the tub and the tub gets cleaned on the way out of it every week or so
    Edible Gardening
    regardless of the time of year there's always something you can spend time doing towards your garden. I find 15 mins in the a.m. and 15 mins in the p.m. can be enough time to keep the garden hoed in the summer
    Paperwork
    I wish this one would just go away, but it might include a topic to look up on the net or paying bills or making business phone calls
    Sewing
    One of my hobbies and I make most of my own clothes, but use Saturdays to sew only home decor or for others
    Me
    I feel this category is really important. I need me time for primping, getting my clothes ready for work the next day and exercising, which I note as "IMO's" or intermittent workouts because I do 1 set before I eat breakfast, 2 sets before lunch and 3 before supper and that works great for me

On days I have to go shopping I make sure I have a brief to do in each category. I never feel accomplished unless I can visit each category every day. I let the weather dictate how/when I do each thing and that's always changing.

MWF looks more like this because I work (but most of the time I only jot a specific item down in my calendar and usually wing it since there's little time left to the day):

Quick Clean
    would be like a drawer or a bathroom spot
    Cooking
    quick or leftovers usually
    Landscape Gardening
    I find it's easy for me to come home and just go through my flower beds and find something to deadhead or a plant to put in
    Sewing
    this usually involves handstitching while watching evening tv or something quick on the machine
    Meagain

Sundays include:

Religion
    Cooking
    Landscape Gardening
    Me
    Home Decor/Home Improvement
    Others

including visiting, haircuts, etc.

It's important to note that I don't let anyone change my schedule for the day except for DH or the kids. (Ok, maybe the occasional cow to breed.) I get out the cordless phone with headset if I need to call a friend.

Priority items get highlighted.

Basically, I've used this system for a few years and it's great! I do think I have used too much time explaining it and need to get some things done now. Hope it helps someone! :)

10. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

wake up, make sure kids are getting breakfast (staying up til 11 pm on internet reading y'all has kept me in bed at 6 am when they're getting ready!), get them onto bus before 7 am. Think about what I want and have to do for the day- have reviewed the night before as well- on my schedule diary. Scurry into shower if I had forgotten I have an 8 am or so appointment. If not tell DH goodbye as he heads off to work before 9 am. Take a stab at any 'business' hours telephone calls I have to make, computer bills etc, review email. Do any other tasks I OUGHTA do (weekly toilet scrub, monthly cat flea treatment, envision dinner and pull things out to thaw if appropriate, water new plants....), check list for other things I'd meant to get done today- work on fence or plant such and such or have to be near phone awaiting call about delivery etc- make sure before starting any project after noon of if girls come home on bus or I pick them up hour earlier and if we have to drive off for something piano etc (to plan shower after yard work if necessary and being sure to watch the clock some), get distracted if I have nothing I NEED to do by emails or HT or the good books I'm reading or petting the cat or why don't I vacuum the stairs today? Then when the girls get home 4 pm gear up to supervise homework, make sure they eat, get to practice, whatever, and to bed on time- try to focus on them then.

Make sure (since I hate driving and live in the boonies) I note all my required errands and combine any possible flexible errands- getting groceries or library visit- into same trip leaving on time to allow for all that and get home for the kids on time. Try to stay home during the day as many days- usually 3-4/week- as I can.

My main plan is not have much scheduled that HAS to happen so I can enjoy life and feel happy about what I get done instead of always not finishing what I planned to. My diary now has 'work on fence" for 2 hours every day for a month. If I do 1-2 hrs I cross one off, 3-4 hours I cross two off (there's always an extra one from missing any fence work one of the past few days). If I ever finish I'll cancel all the rest, at the end of a month when I see I am only 1/4 done I'll add it to my daily list for another 3 months. Since I have that crowding my list I have moved a few other things "rebuild mailbox", 'lay out strawberry bed' to a month or two down the road.

One of these months I'll have slowly worked through all my projects for moving here and getting a job might rise to the top of my list!!

11. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I don't schedule anything. It would never get done cause I would always be behind. I simply make a list of everything that needs to be done. Then I go thru the list and number everything giving the most important thing #1, and on down the list. I never get it all done, but at least I get the most important things done. I rewrite my list and renumber everything every night before bed. Come morning, I get the list and get started.

12. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

No schedule here either, I do note one or two things that need to be done for whatever reason and anything done beyond those is bonus!
    I think it's really important not to stress yourself out, things will get done when they need to somehow. Some days have better weather, more energy, etc....it all works out.

~~

13. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I work evening shift twice a week, and day shift twice a week, plus one day off (it's today this week), so mine varies. Here is a day shift day:

4:30-5:15- wake, let dogs out, put kettle on, make hubby's lunch, make coffee and tea, spend a few minutes together talking, see him off.

5:15-5:45- go online and check e-mail and forum

5:45-8:30- get clothes together, wake son, take shower, make our lunches and breakfast, spend some time together, reading or playing, tidy up kitchen and make beds, straighten living room, do barn chores.

8:30-3:30-take son to school, go to work (1/4 mile from school), pick son up after school, come home.

3:30-5:00- make dinner, get caught up with days events together, do dishes.

After that it is homework, feed dogs, check on other critters, more housechores and laundry, run any errands needed, do DDR workout, and fall onto the couch in an exhaused heap.

Night shift days are worse. I get lots of housework done while I'm alone during the day, but by the time I do all that and make dinner to leave for them, facing the night at work is a drag! Our family HAS to have a routine. When we have vacation days and vary from it for too long, everyone gets cranky and worn out.

Today I worked in the garden for an hour and did barn chores, now I'm being lazy and playing on here before catching up on mountain sized piles of laundry and facing a fridge in desperate need of a scrub-down!