Homesteading Forum banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Banned
139 Posts
If you put up a good fence to keep all the cows inside you don't have to worry about them getting out on the road. So maybe putting razor wire and electric fence around the homes of sick people would keep them away from the rest of us.

Too bad you can't get 6 foot bamboo canes anywhere right now. Someone gets within that distance you can give them a poke in the gut.
well I guess that’s where the illustration breaks down because if you put all the people that are sick behind the razor wire it won’t stop the problem because you can’t tell they’re sick until after they’ve been sick long enough to get others sick.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
well I guess that’s where the illustration breaks down because if you put all the people that are sick behind the razor wire it won’t stop the problem because you can’t tell they’re sick until after they’ve been sick long enough to get others sick.
And just how long do most people experience symptoms before they decide they should be tested? There are many examples of super-spreader events where people thought they had something else (yeh, like their other crap wasn't contagious) but attended large events anyway. Then they later found out they had covid.

If people who are sick would just stay home, the spread of all illness would be greatly reduced.

·
Banned
139 Posts
Lol just cause you don’t like them doesn’t mean they were not good choices.
For a single mom who is going to lose her job if she takes another day off, sending kids to school sick with no repercussions is a good choice.

The system is made that way now, if the choice was paying all the medical bills for the kids and your wages for your time out of work if she sends her kids to school sick I bet she would make different choices.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Many want others to wear a mask to supposedly protect them, even if its done wrong and with inferior products. Same mentality is going to expect free day care of their sick child during a school day.

As said above. Humans do not make good decisions.

·
Banned
139 Posts
I know how the system works. Masks today, chains tommorow. Not interested.
that just seems so odd because wearing a mask means you can hide your identity I would think you would be upset about having to reveal your identity
Do the laws that say you have to cover your genitals in public upset you? Or do you comply with them?

·
Banned
139 Posts
Here’s the thing about masks, obviously if you are well they don’t keep you from spreading the disease and if you’re sick And you know it hopefully you’re at home being taken care of and effectively quarantined.
I don’t know how effective they are in keeping The virus out if you want I can breeze.

So I think their most effective key time is that short time When you have the virus and are spreading it but don’t know you have it yet.

it’s a short time and yes he may not be wearing a mask perfectly but reducing the spread of the infectious factor even a little bit at that time helps a lot.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
For a single mom who is going to lose her job if she takes another day off, sending kids to school sick with no repercussions is a good choice.

The system is made that way now, if the choice was paying all the medical bills for the kids and your wages for your time out of work if she sends her kids to school sick I bet she would make different choices.
That applies to single dads, caretaker grandparents and married people. Too many employers do not allow a day or two at a time off to care for sick children. I still maintain the stance that if employers were required to provide paid time off for those with covid symptoms we could have avoided the shut-down and people would still have jobs instead of the mess we are facing now.

The government shutting down day cares also kept people from working. How can a person go to work and leave their immature children home alone? Many were faced with no choice except to quit their jobs.

It would have been much cheaper in the long run for the govt to pay individual time off instead of mass shut-downs where entire businesses were closed. Those businesses brought in tax dollars, employees paid income taxes, the shut down cut down on a large portion of the govt income.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,783 Posts
Exactly. You hit the nail with the hammer.

In January or February, the local (county and state) government drones (worker bees, not flying toys) will realize that the normal influx of property taxes isn't coming in. The companies that depended on 2020's income to pay the property taxes on the dry cleaner building and parking lot (for example) simply won't have the dollars in the bank.

In April or May, the federal government drones will realize that the normal influx of income taxes isn't coming in. A significant portion of U.S. tax payers have lost their jobs, taken massive pay cuts, or some other financial hit.

Government drones will quake. Shock. Horror. Running in circles waving hands and shrieking.

Unanticipated consequences will be the aftermath of that "two week shut down to flatten the curve" that we've been engaged in since March.

·
Registered
30,206 Posts
Exactly. You hit the nail with the hammer.

In January or February, the local (county and state) government drones (worker bees, not flying toys) will realize that the normal influx of property taxes isn't coming in. The companies that depended on 2020's income to pay the property taxes on the dry cleaner building and parking lot (for example) simply won't have the dollars in the bank.

In April or May, the federal government drones will realize that the normal influx of income taxes isn't coming in. A significant portion of U.S. tax payers have lost their jobs, taken massive pay cuts, or some other financial hit.

Government drones will quake. Shock. Horror. Running in circles waving hands and shrieking.

Unanticipated consequences will be the aftermath of that "two week shut down to flatten the curve" that we've been engaged in since March.
Will you pay all the property taxes you owe?

Will you @TripleD ?

How many on here that own rental property will fail to pay property taxes?

Reactions: TripleD

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Comments above mentioning employers should have been required to pay employees while they were shut down. Keep in mind that just shutting down has put a lot of business on the brink of or into the out or business category. Paying wages with nothing coming up in would put even more out of business.

The lost taxes from the shutdowns are already wrecking havoc on city, county, state budgets. It’s probably going to get worse with the incoming administration. Also keep in mind the various government entities are going to collect property tax one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Comments above mentioning employers should have been required to pay employees while they were shut down. Keep in mind that just shutting down has put a lot of business on the brink of or into the out or business category. Paying wages with nothing coming up in would put even more out of business.

The lost taxes from the shutdowns are already wrecking havoc on city, county, state budgets. It’s probably going to get worse with the incoming administration. Also keep in mind the various government entities are going to collect property tax one way or the other.
Read it again. I said pay employees to stay home to avoid a shut down. Employees can't call in sick if the business is closed.

Where do you think much of the funds for unemployment payments originated? Businesses are required to pay into an unemployment fund. When they are not operating they are not contributing to that fund.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Read it again. I said pay employees to stay home to avoid a shut down. Employees can't call in sick if the business is closed.

Where do you think much of the funds for unemployment payments originated? Businesses are required to pay into an unemployment fund. When they are not operating they are not contributing to that fund.
Perhaps my mistake then. When I read employees I assume that the funds come from the employer, the business. Thus the issue with paying out money when nothing was being produced or earned for the business. Never occurred to me that it was possible for employed people to qualify for a paycheck from government collected taxes or other fees.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Maybe I wasn't clear. What I have a huge problem with was shutting down businesses which forced many onto the unemployment rolls. Those people got an extra $600 a week in unemployment benefits which gave thousands of people more money than they had earned while working. It would have been better to pay people with symptoms, or those who had a household member with symptoms, their standard daily wages while they stayed home.

The shut-downs were supposed to slow the spread and they did postpone covid infections. But thousands of people may never recover from the economic, emotional and educational damage done by shutting down in the beginning.

·
Registered
15,407 Posts
Will you pay all the property taxes you owe?

Will you @TripleD ?

How many on here that own rental property will fail to pay property taxes?
I will pay mine as will most landlords. Some probably will not. I think @Alice In TX/MO is talking more about commercial property and private property. Hospitality and restaurants landlords will be hard pressed to pay theirs. Those that lease Dollar Stores and Walmart building will do just fine. People that lost their jobs or got their income cut will also feel the pain.

In fact, I just paid mine for the year on all but the one I closed on last Wednesday.

·
Registered
15,407 Posts
Also keep in mind the various government entities are going to collect property tax one way or the other.
Yes, but keep in mind there is a process for that too. Landlord A cant pay taxes so it goes in arrears. Then there is a lengthy to very lengthy process to get them evicted. Then another process to sell that property at auction. Every county in Texas has different rules. Lets take Galveston for example.

100k property that owes 2k in taxes. First year no taxes but they go through the process of eviction.

Second year still have the process.

Third year they evict and out up for auction.

Sell for minimum 2k.

So they are only getting 2k for 3 years worth of taxes instead of 6k. That is a big loss. Now, combine that with 25% of properties and you can see it snowball.

ETA: MY county has a 10 year stall before it goes to auction. I just used Galveston because there are so many they do it more often. Many just go on the struck off list because there are often more properties than buyers at auction.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts