Homesteading Forum banner

41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Administrator
19,362 Posts
Anyone I know who has been COVID tested went for a COVID test. Not a flu test. Two separate tests and healthy people generally ride the flu out at home. But that’s here, perhaps different in Alberta?

Do you honestly believe social distancing and hygiene are not helping keep flu numbers way lower than an average year? Numbers are way lower than usual.

I am sorry about the loss of your friend/acquaintance. I find it hard to believe they were not tested yet was claimed COVID. How well did you know them, well enough to see death certificate and know the tests their doc have given? Because they are testing anyone with symptoms. And you don’t just drop dead of Covid- you get super sick and it generally takes weeks of illness before you die. No test? Seems fishy. I know Alberta has really been struggling with high numbers due to relaxed regulations (as the residents seem to want) but doubt COVID patients are being mislabelled as was apparently happening in the States.
You're misinformed if you believe that anybody who dies of the virus lingers for weeks. Some do and some don't but I know my friend got sick quickly, had underlying health issues, was taken to hospital and died the following day.

I know them well enough to have sat with the family at the hospital and well enough to have carried the death certificate to the funeral home but that's not really the point.

You made the bold statement that there was no flu this year and I disagree. Testing for flu has decreased because doctors direct patients with syptoms to the nearest Covid testing centre first.

You are correct in your belief that most people who get the flu tough it out just fine, just as most who get covid do as well but there's a very good chance that if you've made it long enough to get your negative covid results, there's a good chance whatever ails you is on it's way to recovery.

I'm not sure either of us knows what the average Albertan wants and it doesn't really matter because, just like any other province, politicians and health autorities are setting the rules but I'm pretty sure that the rules that suit an office in Calgary make no sense in my office, nor do they make sense on my neighbour's farm.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
We are inhibiting our entire population to protect a few. Monetarily it would be much more efficient to quarantine the susceptible people rather than the whole population.
You can wear your mask. stay away from me. You may not like my reaction either.
We have quarantined many of the most susceptible and that has not turned out well. Some susceptible people are essential workers, they were not and are able to stay home. They need their jobs.

We have reopened schools and that has not turned out well. I don't know what protective measures have been taken in schools but they have not been protective enough. Covid has been spreading exponentially in schools.

But I do agree that the early shut-down/lock-down was not a good idea. Letting big box stores stay open but closing small stores that provide the same services was just WRONG. Closing small restaurants but letting every chain fast food place stay open was WRONG. Waiting until September to allow expanded outdoor dining (Ohio) was just stupid.

Keeping children who need the extra attention out of school has set them back, some may never catch up.

There were a lot of things that were done wrong. The biggest was depending on foreign made PPE. If we had a supply of PPE many medical facilities would have been able to keep serving patients at the beginning.

Because I wear a mask to comply with govt regulations is no reason to start a fight. I don't say anything to people who wear masks improperly or not at all. I don't believe they make much of a difference anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
None of us like wearing masks. Some of us don't believe mask wearing prevents covid. But health officials are trying to keep people from spreading the disease which is why they institute mask mandates. I get protesting having to wear a mask but there are people out there rabid enough to threaten innocent children when mask mandates are ordered.

Too many people have been threatened and/or killed on both sides of the issue. I just don't understand
Would those who object to mask mandates because the gummint is telling us what to do ... feel that speeding laws should not be enforced ... what is the difference?

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Would those who object to mask mandates because the gummint is telling us what to do ... feel that speeding laws should not be enforced ... what is the difference?
You make a valid point. Kind of like those people who drive 80 mph in a couple of 45 mph construction areas on I 71 in Columbus. They say they aren't hurting anyone and the reduced speed is stupid.

I am not a fan of govt intrusion but I can understand when they try to protect the general public from itself. Sometimes mandates and laws are necessary.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Highways have been designed to handle certain volumes of vehicles and handle them up to certain speeds. It’s just a matter of math. The average vehicles design is taken into account. People who are concerned also realize that the properly designed and maintained vehicle they drive, provides some degree of protection from others. The average person realizes this. It is not just a feel good measure.

Many people believe the mask issue being mandated in many areas is a feel good measure, with little or no actual effectiveness. The average design, effectiveness, and condition of the mask used, with the average persons handling of the mask, reinforces these feelings. For those concerned, it would be a good idea to use properly designed mask, correctly worn, with proper distance. Kind of like cars on the highway.

To really be safe from speeding, or covid, it would be best to personally and properly use well designed equipment. Not a bad idea to keep out of harms way to start with.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Good governors get an Emmie

·
Banned
139 Posts
Yes. The proof I have is that after masks were mandated, the mandaters still had to mandate curfews, business closures, etc. Masks do not work, as far as preventing people that mandate masks from mandating other gross infringements on liberty. If you want to wear a mask, wear a mask. If you are worried that me not wearing a mask puts you at risk, wear two of them.
that’s not how it works! It’s like saying I put up the fence posts but the cows got out
All the things you list and more are part of a system each help and they all contribute but it takes far more to be the perfect system

the fence posts are the foundation of the system some barbed wire helps another strand helps more a roll of woven wire helps more a strand of stand off electric helps even more and if you have something extremely valuable like your life to protect and your neighbors might have something really scary Over there wouldn’t you like them to have a entire fence too ?

think of it in terms of good neighbors build good fences

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
If I want to keep the neighbors horses out of my garden, or their dog away from the kids playing in the yard you can rest assured I will have a fence to keep them OUT. Long experience has proven that it is a bad idea to rely on them to provide good fencing to keep their critters home. Kind of feel the same way about mask.

My fence is what makes them good neighbors.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
that’s not how it works! It’s like saying I put up the fence posts but the cows got out
All the things you list and more are part of a system each help and they all contribute but it takes far more to be the perfect system

the fence posts are the foundation of the system some barbed wire helps another strand helps more a roll of woven wire helps more a strand of stand off electric helps even more and if you have something extremely valuable like your life to protect and your neighbors might have something really scary Over there wouldn’t you like them to have a entire fence too ?

think of it in terms of good neighbors build good fences
Foxes & coyotes still get through the fence.

Most masks are like a barb wire fence for mosquito

·
RF in Western Mtns.of ME
898 Posts
None of us like wearing masks. Some of us don't believe mask wearing prevents covid. But health officials are trying to keep people from spreading the disease which is why they institute mask mandates. I get protesting having to wear a mask but there are people out there rabid enough to threaten innocent children when mask mandates are ordered.

Too many people have been threatened and/or killed on both sides of the issue. I just don't understand why.
"Health Officials" are useful idiots for the globalists pushing this scamdemic for their NWO agenda .

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
The virus is not really that much of a threat. But mask compliance is. The virus has not been able to make a significant bump in death numbers. It only replaced flu, pneumonia, and heart failure as the reason people inevitably die. Mask compliance has made a significant bump in the erosion of personal freedom, you wear the mask, people see you wear the mask, it makes them giddy with new found power, then they want to limit gatherings, enforce curfews, and close people's businesses. No thanks, not playing.

50 Posts
We have quarantined many of the most susceptible and that has not turned out well. Some susceptible people are essential workers, they were not and are able to stay home. They need their jobs.

We have reopened schools and that has not turned out well. I don't know what protective measures have been taken in schools but they have not been protective enough. Covid has been spreading exponentially in schools.

But I do agree that the early shut-down/lock-down was not a good idea. Letting big box stores stay open but closing small stores that provide the same services was just WRONG. Closing small restaurants but letting every chain fast food place stay open was WRONG. Waiting until September to allow expanded outdoor dining (Ohio) was just stupid.

Keeping children who need the extra attention out of school has set them back, some may never catch up.

There were a lot of things that were done wrong. The biggest was depending on foreign made PPE. If we had a supply of PPE many medical facilities would have been able to keep serving patients at the beginning.

Because I wear a mask to comply with govt regulations is no reason to start a fight. I don't say anything to people who wear masks improperly or not at all. I don't believe they make much of a difference anyway.
Yes, there were/are many things being done wrong.

The real question is: What is being done right? Honestly, and not being political, I see little being done correctly in the blue states. Also, "We have quarantined many of the most susceptible and that has not turned out well". NOT TRUE". Where it went badly is places where sick people were sent to facilities where vulnerable were housed, and they knew it! Florida, for example, has done well.

I never blindly trusted the government, now, if a politician or gov "official" dare to enter my property, I would run them off, even if it were to hand me a winning lotto ticket.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
41 - 60 of 128 Posts