Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
None of us like wearing masks. Some of us don't believe mask wearing prevents covid. But health officials are trying to keep people from spreading the disease which is why they institute mask mandates. I get protesting having to wear a mask but there are people out there rabid enough to threaten innocent children when mask mandates are ordered.

Too many people have been threatened and/or killed on both sides of the issue. I just don't understand why.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
People don't like to be told what to do. Many resent it. A few REALLY resent it. Perhaps they should have asked instead of making it a mandate?
The same people who don't like being told to stop at red traffic lights or stop signs?
We know how those situations work out.

People were asked. They were asked to stay 6 feet apart and stay home if they are sick too. They won't do that either.

I understand not wearing a mask in an outdoor situation, I understand not wearing a mask if you are the only person in a room, I understand not wearing a mask when speaking to someone hard of hearing.

But of all the preventive measures, this is the only one people are willing to kill over. That is what I don't get.

I don't see or hear of anyone protesting or having fits about not being allowed in the nursing home to clean up after an elderly relative messes themself.

·
Premium Member
20,027 Posts
I’m not sure why people think it’s their right to enter a private business without a mask if the business requires one.
Do they also protest about wearing a short and shoes?

·
Banned
128 Posts
Most Americans, at least most honest and good ones, can be asked to do about anything and they will move Heaven and Earth to get it done. OTOH those same people cherish their hard-earned liberty more than they cherish their very lives and will do about anything to preserve it.

I sure do not wish anyone to get this illness or to die, but I value my liberty more than I value their decision to go out in public and expect that public to accommodate their fears.

Oh, BTW, I do not resist wearing a mask anywhere in any private business that asks me to whether in person or just by a sign on the door. I am a private property respecting person.

·
Registered
21,122 Posts
And what really galls some of us who see about everyone of those leaders pushing mask mandates caught on tv out in public without masks or violating their own travel orders. A leader should lead, not try to dictate orders for those beneath him while he carries on as normal.

·
Registered
30,206 Posts
And what really galls some of us who see about everyone of those leaders pushing mask mandates caught on tv out in public without masks or violating their own travel orders. A leader should lead, not try to dictate orders for those beneath him while he carries on as normal.
I think you explained very well why so many are conflicted.

Rules for thee, not for me.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I wear mask in all stores an indoor public spaces but my governor lost my respect on the subject when
1) he told me to mask up in between bites when eating out
2) he attended a birthday party while preaching to us mere plebes about not having gatherings and
3) he started telling everyone to wear a mask outside too.
It just gets ridiculous after awhile, sure masks have their place but they will not singlehandedly save the world

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
People understand that stop signs have a valid purpose. Some still ignore them. Some understand why you should stay in your lane on a left turn, many seem to find it to much of a inconvenience to turn the steering wheel a little bit more and not swap lanes in the middle of the turn. Many people also think that the mask issue seems to be more of a symbolic gesture than a practical application. So there is going to be some problems. Why would any one be surprised to think there would be mask issues.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Last spring I opposed all the restrictions because they were inappropriate for our area. But now it is different. We need to hold out for a little longer and protect our older folks. Vaccine is just around the corner for at risk folks.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
People understand that stop signs have a valid purpose. Some still ignore them. Some understand why you should stay in your lane on a left turn, many seem to find it to much of a inconvenience to turn the steering wheel a little bit more and not swap lanes in the middle of the turn. Many people also think that the mask issue seems to be more of a symbolic gesture than a practical application. So there is going to be some problems. Why would any one be surprised to think there would be mask issues.
I don't care if they think it is a symbolic gesture or futile effort. Threatening families and murdering security guards is just wrong. Have a mask protest, refuse to do business at a place that insists you wear a mask, whatever. But it is NOT worth beating or killing a person over. Why threaten the children of a health commissioner?

·
Marked safe from the TP famine of 2020.
19,271 Posts
I’m not sure why people think it’s their right to enter a private business without a mask if the business requires one.
Do they also protest about wearing a short and shoes?
A private business can require you to wear a pink tutu to enter if they wish and I have no problem with that. It is government mandates that I resist.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
It has been proven that masks don't work. This is how it's been proven, people mandate masks, then they mandate shutdowns, curfews, and deem some people's livelihood non-essential while others are allowed to remain open. Meanwhile, the people signing the mandates don't do any of those things. Wearing the mask does no good, you wear the mask, stand on the X, and it's still not good enough. Some people refer to the "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" philosophy. So not wearing a mask is taking a firm stance. Communism has killed more people than corona-virus, so it stands to reason that some people figure it's a better course of action to pick the dreaded covid as the lesser of the two evils. Overzealous and unprecedented covid retrictions are not quite up to the status of overtaxed tea, but it's almost right there. Freedom is freedom, you either have it or you don't.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts