what is wrong with my tomato plant?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by rkintn, Jun 19, 2006.

1. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

These are not very good pics but my brandywine tomato plants have this all over the leaves in the top of the plant. I looked on the internet but I couldn't manage to find any pics that match. Probably because I have no idea what it is. Can anyone help me? Do I need to get rid of this plant to save the others? :Bawling: My brandywines are GORGEOUS too! TIA for your help.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/rkintn37/tomatoleaf.jpg
    http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/rkintn37/tomatoleaf2.jpg

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Do you or anyone else smoke that goes in the garden? It resembles tobacco mosaic virus. Unfortunately it is the most common virus and cannot be "cured" in an infected plant. It can live for fifty years on dead infected plant tissue so clean culture is recommended. Do you have any fruit yet? Is it discolored with yellow patches?
    In case it is something else, I would suggest not watering the leaves of your plants. Wet leaves going thru a cool night are sure to cause disease or fungal problems, so when you water, if you do, then just water the ground. It could be just a fungal leaf spot, in which case I'd use Daconil. If it's viral then yank em.

3. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

I don't see tobacco mosaic happening since the tobacco today is hybrid and doesn't get it anymore.
    In otherwords, it isn't going to come from smoking around them.

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

tobacco mosaic virus is a common disease on tomato plants in tn.

not only smoking (and not washing your hands before going in the garden) but it lurks in the soil as well. so if tobacco used to be grown there, chances are fair to good the virus still is there.

next year, try and different spot, or build raised beds and fill them with soil from other places.

5. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

No, I don't smoke and neither does anybody else that goes in the garden. These tomato plants are in a raised bed I made last year in the middle of town (where I live). I didn't have any trouble with any of my plants last year and this is the only one so far that has whatever this is. As for the fruit, there is fruit on the plant and it all looks really good so far..no discoloration etc. I did a little research and I am leaning toward it being a virus of some kind. I really hate to pull this plant cause it is soo pretty but better one than all I guess.

6. Thoughthound

Thoughthound Well-Known Member

Bacteria can also be spread by the mouths of leaf-eating bugs, so it is possible to get a blight no matter how perfect your soil is.

7. sbeerman

sbeerman Well-Known Member

8. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Very nice link sbeerman. I always read descriptions of tomato plant ailments and so many seem to apply. The photos on that link really help.