Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in SW MO, zone 6. I have several dozen sage plants that have done very well this year. However throughout the summer and fall a few of them are dying off. It looks like some kind of wilt but I can't figure it out. The rest continue to look healthy. See the pictures below. Does anyone know what is going on? ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1414710849.569885.jpg ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1414710869.546789.jpg

·
Registered
863 Posts
Are the dead and dying ones the same variety as the nice looking, healthy ones in the same pictures?

Trellis

ETA: Are the big, green, leafy plants in the background comfrey?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, all of the sage are the same variety. And that is comfrey (bocking 14) in the background.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
It looks like a fungal blight (maybe Southern Blight) started at root level. Look at the stems close to the soil and see if there are any tiny brown nodules or silvery grey threads erupting on the stems, if they are there it's Southern Blight.

It could also be a problem with the roots rotting and starting a fungal infection at ground level, possibly because your sage plants are all too closely crowded together. Sage likes lots of room between plants and plenty of air circulation above and below ground. I'd suggest removing the blighted plants immediately and space out the remaining healthy ones a bit more so they have more space and air circulation between them.

Do not compost the plant material killed by fungal blight because the sclerotia of the fungus can survive and thrive during the composting process and then re-infest new plants later when you add more compost to the garden. After you remove the infected plants and dispose of them you could also try loosening and aerating then dusting the soil in the garden with sulpher powder to kill any remaining fungus in the soil, or spray the soil lightly with a home made garlic mash solution.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Paumon - I will follow your suggestions!!

Reactions: Paumon
1 - 6 of 6 Posts