What is wrong with my doe?!?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dk_40207, Nov 8, 2006.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

The nubian that we got three weeks ago quickly established herself as queen of the goat yard. Today she has been stand-offish, not interested in food(or treat), holding her head down in the corner, and(maybe my imagination) seems to be stiff-legged in the back. She did eat a bit of grain and hay--but not like she usually does. I don't have a thermometer--but she was hot to the touch. I went ahead and gave her some pen because I have no idea what is wrong, and I didn't want to come out to a dead goat in the morning :Bawling:
    Any idea AT ALL what could be wrong w/ her?? No lumps, coughing only occasionally, everything else looks fine. She is "dry(but is still holding milk)" but her udder feels fine.
    our weather has been ver rainy, everything is muddy--if that helps..

Christina :help:

2. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

Are there any mushrooms in the pasture? I lost one of my does to mushroom poisoning. The 'purple veil' mushrooms grow wild out here. That's the kind the hippies and Willie Nelson use to make that 'special' tea with. Enough of one can kill a goat in no time at all. Please check for mushrooms...

Doesn't sound like she's down or in bad shape. Get a vet out as soon as possible...

3. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

If she is stiff legged, could we be talking tetnus?

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I'd say get a vet out. Check for Mastitis. just because she's 'dry' doesn't mean she can't have mastitis... Also, has she had her vaccinations lately? If her back legs are stiff, it could be tetanus... Or it could be that she doesn't want to move them because her stomach isn't feeling good from enterotoxemia... Or something else that your vet would be able to treat.

5. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

She is uncomfortable by the sound of it,but it isn't tetnaus as the rigid muscles would pull the head up with wide eyes..teeth grinding...I would guess its something she ate...taking her temp is important & checking for bloat..& normal pellets & urine..Maybe talking to the previous owner if they are pros will help...& see if your vet has goat knowledge...You can listen for lung sounds if it might be upper respiratory problem...Good luck..GrannieD

6. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

Sounds respiratory to me, too, with the rainy weather. Possibly pneumonia. Her temperature will give a better indication of what the problem may be. It is never good when a goat goes off feed, is hunched, and is standoffish. Don't delay-they can go down quick.

7. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

is she bred? Possibly Milk Fever? That normally happens closer to kidding though.......

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

How are her poops? I had a girl bring over her goats to board with us, and because of the different pasture and parasites, we lost her due to Cocci. She was 4 years old also, so don't let anyone tell you at that age they can not get it because she died from it, and that is straight from two different vets. Check that Temp. Everyone needs to have a thermometer, for the goats. They can be the cheaper ones from Walmart or wherever you shop, and get the digital ones, they are So much faster.

9. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I would be looking for Pnuemonia or mastitis with those symptoms.....or possibly something wrong in the digestive area.....sorry, its so hard to say without seeing the goat.

10. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with Emily as to what may be going on with her. It's really important to have a thermometer. Is there someone in your area who knows goats that can come look at her? If not, I'd get a vet to look at her, take her temp, listen to her lungs and rumen and test for mastitis. I once had a doe I'd dried up develop mastitis. The type of treatment depends on what's wrong with her, however you can never go wrong offering her soda and giving probios before the vet sees her.

11. fcnubian

fcnubian Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. Its always GOOD to have a thermometer. They have then at walmart, get a digital one. They dont cost that much.

12. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

13. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

Thank you for all of your replies...she is so much better today..I don't know if it's the pen or what. She is still a little off--but actually came out of the shed today, and pushes a little goat around:) I think I will keep her on and definantly watch her in a few weeks for heat. I plan to pick up a therm everytime I get to the city--but always forget. duh.