Homesteading Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
40,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I didn't put up a link. Just thought people should know what is happening to the formula.
As American families deal with a shortage of baby formula across the US, a lawmaker has released images of dozens of boxes of the coveted product lining the shelves at an illegal migrant processing facility near the US-Mexico border.

Rep. Kat Cammack (R-Fla.) shared the images of “pallets” of infant formula at the Ursula Migrant Processing Center in McAllen, Texas on her Twitter and Facebook pages Wednesday.

Reactions: Chief50

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
They roam among us

I fear too many young people today would choose to believe what the government tells them over what their parents say.
Marx referred to religion as the opiate of the masses. It appears to me that government and big tech disinformation is the new opiate. There is some psychology behind it you have witnessed on this very forum. People bought a false narrative and misinformation hook, line and sinker. These people that aren't idiots are so vested in the narrative they were not fooled, they continue down the primrose path and vilify those that disagree and tell/show them how they were fooled all along.

·
Registered
40,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Is this a good thing?

The Food and Drug Administration will announce specific actions to boost formula imports in the coming days, the officials said. The U.S. produces 98% of the infant formula its consumes. Chile, Ireland, Mexico and the Netherlands are potential sources for additional imports, according to the officials.​

·
Registered
40,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Do the math. Abbot is primary WIC Supplier + Abbott gets shut down = WIC and everyone buys other brands to create shortage

The U.S. shortage has been driven largely by a recall from Abbott Nutrition​
On Feb. 17, Abbott voluntarily recalled its powdered formulas. Abbott contracts with a majority of state programs for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children, commonly called WIC, which is the largest purchaser of baby formula in the U.S., according to a 2011 report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Another USDA report from the same year found that the highly concentrated formula market was dominated by three manufacturers, and Abbott held the largest market share, at 43%.​

·
newfieannie
10,668 Posts
i'm hoping to do one tomorrow if i can move when i get up in the morning. pretty stiff right now after working all day in the garden. i have my list already but i always add a few more things when i get in the store especially if there is a sale on.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Input costs are crazy around here and I saw something that I have neve seen. Two weeks after top dressing a winter wheat field with chicken litter they burned it down with glyphosate and seeded it with soybeans. The wheat was knee high...

It will sort itself out. I think the farm folk will be alright. The folks in a lot of the third world will be in a tight spot and it will spill over....Arab Spring 2.0 will be like a virus.

·
Registered
237 Posts
China has really shut down. Is that the root cause for all these shortages?
It is part of the cause - several decades ago, in alignment with a “global economy”, many manufacturing was outsourced. For example: China produces approx. 40% of baby food purchased in the US. There is one other company still here in the US that produces about 43% (Abbott Lab). It doesn’t leave much for those here, unless you came here via the southern border…
Rectangle Font Parallel Multimedia Slope

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
I am going to go way out on a limb here, and expect the new official thought police to come and get me. But is there really a shortage of what the majority of babies need to live? Or just a manufacturing conglomerate facing the same issues the rest are, and afraid their base of customers will find their product optional? For babies needing the specialized formulas there is a major issue, for the rest, not so much.

Last night I watched the parts of the news on NBC, Fox, and CNN that covered this. All of them stressed "parents are not chemists and you simply must find formula because the homemade will kill your child" sort of thing. All stressed the same words "parents are not chemists." You might mismeasure and kill the child. That was followed by "prepared formula is safer for this reason." UM, but on one, I forget which one, the parent mixing the powdered formula was spilling half of it at least outside the bottle. So much for that argument.

What if they told the parents to calm down, get some Carnation or Pet, boil some water, get some Karo or plain old sugar, and get some PolyViSol? And then switch back if you want when you can find the formula again. And we focused on saving the babies for whom that truly will not work, those with allergies and lactose intolerance and digestive issues.

I took the time to find the NIH study from back when that "shows homemade formula is dangerous." No, what it showed was that in homemade vs breast, at 18 months slightly more formula babies were anemic, and therefore if you choose the homemade formula you need that PolyViSol.

·
Registered
40,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
So much for the globalization that was supposed to save us all!

Saw one guy on youtube saying he was not worried about food shortages, because if "The grocery store is bare I will just go to a restaurant since I live in NYC."

Tell me we are not in for interesting times!

·
Registered
14,405 Posts
April inflation was reported at 8.3% and prices have increased for 17 months in a row.
The algorithms, or the mathematical practices for computing inflation in 1980 reported it to be at 13.5%.
Our government economists have altered that methodology in ways that seem to minimize the results, ie note that food is one item not included when calculating inflation.
Using the current structure for calculating inflation, it is the highest it has been in the last 40 years.
By using the same procedures and formulas used in 1980, our current Consumer Price Index should be closer to 15%.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts