Homesteading Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
40,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
For the longest time we could not get Half & Half. We stock up now.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
That in the state with more dairy cows than anyone.

Our price is the same as yours
Everything is more expensive here, even though we're one of the biggest breadbaskets (ok, not actual bread but pretty much everything else vegetative) in the U.S.

Making trips back to the Midwest and southeast to visit family are always big eye openers/reminders.

·
Premium Member
32,564 Posts
Horizon milk is very expensive here too. Kroger milk was down 20 cents to $2.99 a gallon.

Baby aisle was pretty bare this afternoon. There were only a few containers of formula.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
The Food Lion, our regional Cackalack chain, has ground beef (73/27) at $2.99/# again this week. I’m going to go get 100# each from two or three stores this week, and set the freeze dryer to work.

Ever since Covidaids started, the supply chain scare has been senseless. In the middle of the great toilet-paper crusades, my local Walmart was 150,000 sq/fr of scorched earth, while the Dollar General in between had it almost without interruption, and the general store converted from an old full-serve gas station “in town” had packs of TP right next to the soda coolers the whole time, and they’d serve you one hell of a cherry lime-aid slush to keep you hydrated while you were waiting in line and then, inevitably, flirting with the counter girl and making the folks behind you wait extra for their turn at her charms.

I sometimes wonder if the only thing in real shortage isn’t just common sense.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
45,145 Posts
Yes.

However, I will submit that my son who works in an agriculture related business suggested that I do a MAJOR stocking up trip to the grocery store for non-perishable food items.

His comment on the potential fertilizer and harvest shortages lay some blame on the current administration dithering until the Russians exited their other investments and bought commodities and futures. Also, if China purchases most of this summer's corn crop, expect ethanol and gasoline prices to jump through the roof. He gets angry every time he talks about corn (a food crop) being used to produce fuel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
At the height of bare shelves due to nobody working at the warehouses, our local store and community sent their own dock and warehouse workers with a couple of trucks to bring back groceries. Meanwhile the instore crew pushed all inventory out and cleaned the warehouse. People were melting down, yet there were choices, but not your favorite choice. No lettuce? Looky, we have a choice between red and green cabbage! There's still holes on the shelves, but it's not bad. What's bad are the prices. Eggs, butter, ground beef and a head of lettuce are $5 each.

The next nearest store is 75 miles, so I use Amazon for shelf stable goods. I used to get my boxes the next day. Now small boxes trickle in for two weeks, 90% of them are shipped from Florida. What did the governor of Florida say? "We're open for business."

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Yes.

However, I will submit that my son who works in an agriculture related business suggested that I do a MAJOR stocking up trip to the grocery store for non-perishable food items.

His comment on the potential fertilizer and harvest shortages lay some blame on the current administration dithering until the Russians exited their other investments and bought commodities and futures. Also, if China purchases most of this summer's corn crop, expect ethanol and gasoline prices to jump through the roof. He gets angry every time he talks about corn (a food crop) being used to produce fuel.
You have to have ethanol in fuel. It gums up the carburetor in all the small engines that were made in Chinese factories powered by dirty coal. If we ran straight gas China would go broke. They would then quit buying coal from Russia, and Russia wouldn't be able to afford to invade Ukraine. If Russia doesn't invade Ukraine, then we couldn't use their invasion to draw attention away from the horrible economic crisis that we caused by incredibly bad policy. It's a vicious cycle. Which is much better than a viscous sickle.

·
Super Moderator
14,147 Posts
Posted 5/12/22 12:59 A.M. CDST

You and I realize formula can be made

my youngest daughter (17) told me about the formula shortage last night , I said I am aware and people will have to make their own for a while.

You can't do that ! she said

oh , but you can, been doing it for a long time would you like me to go grab you the recipe , my wife backed me up and there was a sudden understanding that mom and dad might know a thing or two.

people are convinced they need a store bought product for so many things
My mother still has the "prescription" for formula my pediatrician provided for me as an infant 60 years ago which was nothing more than a recipe he wrote out by hand to use the OTC nutrients and vitamins available then for her to compound formula I wasn't allergic to.

When a friend lamented of a shortage of the formula she used, my mother showed her how to read the ingredients and although the pediatrician the woman used wouldn't tell her how to get the measures of nutrients and vitamins, my mother told her of two pharmacists who helped other mothers in recent years to make formula at home during recalls.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
You have to have ethanol in fuel. It gums up the carburetor in all the small engines that were made in Chinese factories powered by dirty coal. If we ran straight gas China would go broke. They would then quit buying coal from Russia, and Russia wouldn't be able to afford to invade Ukraine. If Russia doesn't invade Ukraine, then we couldn't use their invasion to draw attention away from the horrible economic crisis that we caused by incredibly bad policy. It's a vicious cycle. Which is much better than a viscous sickle.
Does the viscous sickle look like this one?
Orange Triangle Rectangle Font Symbol

It’s the viscous sickle and the runny hammer.

·
Registered
40,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
It has to be pretty scary for a young mother to not find formula. On top of that are the continuous warnings not to make formula at home.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Horizon milk is very expensive here too. Kroger milk was down 20 cents to $2.99 a gallon.

Baby aisle was pretty bare this afternoon. There were only a few containers of formula.
It has to be pretty scary for a young mother to not find formula. On top of that are the continuous warnings not to make formula at home.
Pallets of baby formula are being sent to holding facilities at the border amid a shortage that has seen many parents unable to find it at their local stores, according to a GOP representative.
"They are sending pallets, pallets of baby formula to the border," Rep. Kat Cammack, R-Fla., said in a video posted to Facebook Wednesday. "Meanwhile, in our own district at home, we cannot find baby formula."

·
Registered
540 Posts
The Biden administration canceled one of the most high-profile oil and gas lease sales pending before the Department of the Interior Wednesday, as Americans face record-high prices at the pump, according to AAA.

The DOI halted the potential to drill for oil in over 1 million acres in Alaska's Cook Inlet, along with two lease sales in the Gulf of Mexico. The move comes as Biden has taken a few actions to combat high gas prices, despite his administration's generally hostile approach to the oil industry.

·
Premium Member
32,564 Posts
Pallets of baby formula are being sent to holding facilities at the border amid a shortage that has seen many parents unable to find it at their local stores, according to a GOP representative.
"They are sending pallets, pallets of baby formula to the border," Rep. Kat Cammack, R-Fla., said in a video posted to Facebook Wednesday. "Meanwhile, in our own district at home, we cannot find baby formula."
That link does not lead to the story you quoted.

·
Registered
40,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
HD, I am talking about the grandmothers who are old enough to know things. You knew that.
In today's mobile society, many young parents don't have personal face to face access to their parents, much less grand parents. And, as I said you have the media and government telling them not to make formula at home. You should have know that.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts