Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
40,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
China has really shut down. Is that the root cause for all these shortages?

·
Registered
8,635 Posts
It appears so. There are a couple things I’m watching that are custom production out of China, and it’s all crickets and finger drums.

China is actually my one misgiving about the Covid BS, to be honest. I can’t see China unnecessarily spiking their own economy for some silly Reset. If anything, China is the one I would expect to work their people into dust in the face of a real pandemic, if they thought they could make an extra yuan.

·
Shazbot!
6,314 Posts
Highway diesel is in short supply in NC. A friend drives a transport and he was unable to pull any highway diesel from the Kenly terminals. He was told to return Wednesday night at the earliest to pull a load.

He asked but was not given a reason.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
It appears so. There are a couple things I’m watching that are custom production out of China, and it’s all crickets and finger drums.

China is actually my one misgiving about the Covid BS, to be honest. I can’t see China unnecessarily spiking their own economy for some silly Reset. If anything, China is the one I would expect to work their people into dust in the face of a real pandemic, if they thought they could make an extra yuan.
I think the zero Wuflu policy is just what totalitarians do. It reinforces their authority and further makes their subjects more likely to kowtow in their pea brains. All I can say is what I say about a lot of things going on these days, this should end well.

·
Registered
22,507 Posts
Highway diesel is in short supply in NC. A friend drives a transport and he was unable to pull any highway diesel from the Kenly terminals. He was told to return Wednesday night at the earliest to pull a load.

He asked but was not given a reason.
I read an article a couple days ago saying diesel was in short supply and some refineries that can make both diesel and gasoline are switching to diesel from gasoline. That will cause the price of gas to go up.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
As already posted above I also would have expected china to keep the workers going no matter what. Makes me wonder why they are keeping the workers shut in or locked up. There is bound to be a lot more to the story. china probably has a plan to come out ahead in the long run. Generally speaking they do well at such things.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I read an article a couple days ago saying diesel was in short supply and some refineries that can make both diesel and gasoline are switching to diesel from gasoline. That will cause the price of gas to go up.
Refiners adjust based on the crack spread (seriously) between gasoline, diesel and other distillates. There is a good bit of elasticity of demand between gasoline and other distillates. Diesel does not have the same elasticity of demand so when the crack spread of diesel is high, they will gear towards that.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
China has a population problem. They tried the One Child Policy, but that had collateral damage (too many male children now coming to reproductive age). They need to thin their population. The govt has the problem of doing that in a contolled, soft landing way, achieving the goal without inducing back-lash/revolution among their mob. (Did you see the film bites of apartment dwellers locked down and shouting out the windows?)...

They need to increase their market share in the world economy-- That can be accomplished by increasng their own production (dependent on maintaing high population at home AND increasing demand elsewhere, OR by reducing the share of others more than their own, allowing them to thin their own herd at the same time.

War with large casualties on all sides would solve all their proiblems and be the most expedient method of accomplishing their goal.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Not if they thought it would help bring the west down to size.

·
Registered
40,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder if the lockdowns aren't meant to protect one man. Xi would sacrifice millions to protect himself.

I think the widespread shortages show very clearly how we have become overdependent, by a large measure, on China.

·
Registered
40,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They never dive deeper than "supply chain issues"

seven states had between 40-50% of baby formula products out of stock as of early April, 26 states are now struggling with supply.

"This issue has been compounded by supply chain issues, product recalls and historic inflation," Datasembly CEO Ben Reich said. "Unfortunately, given the unprecedented amount of volatility to the category, we anticipate baby formula to continue to be one of the most affected products in the market."

Reactions: Cornhusker

·
Registered
40,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Abbott makes Similac

NUTRITION, HEALTH AND WELLNESS | Apr. 15, 2022

Millions of parents rely on our formula to feed their babies. And we know that our recent recall caused additional stress and anxiety in an already challenging situation of a global supply shortage. We are working hard to help moms, dads and caregivers get the high-quality nutrition they need for their babies.

Abbott is working closely with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to restart operations at the Sturgis, Mich., facility. We continue to make progress on corrective actions and will be implementing additional actions as we work toward addressing items related to the recent recall. In the meantime, we are working to increase the supply of infant formula by prioritizing infant formula production at our facilities that provide product to the U.S. market.

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Number

·
Unapologetically me
21,804 Posts
This administration has done nothing to help the people of this country and they've done everything they can to throw us all into poverty. Then they'll tell us it's somebody else's fault and if we keep voting Democrat we'll be saved.
Since last January, the supply chain has been getting weaker, prices are soaring and in less than 2 years they've taken us from energy independence to diesel shortages.
Now we have baby formula shortages which seems to tie into the abortion riots/insurrections.
They've been trying to remove women from sports, attacking Christianity and generally wreaking havoc with our way of life.
Less than 2 years.
Imagine what it'll be like after 4 years.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
okay, so you know me, but I am going to put a positive spin on this.

1. shortages happen - people can't get what they need
2. people realize they can either do without it or make it themselves (like formula can be homemade)
3. people feel a bit of joy from doing something for themselves
4. joy is uplifting
5. more people feel uplifted, and the feeling spreads

(as a side note, there are very few bare shelves in this area. I don't know about formula because I have no need for it.)

Reactions: nodak3

·
Registered
391 Posts
The political nitwitery and conspiracy theories notwithstanding, what is being seen is the result of a poor-conceived inventory management system called "just-in-time". It's hardly a new concept, but it really took hold in the US during the 1980s (the "Decade of Greed"). In its basic form, the end receiver keeps little to no inventory on hand and reorders inventory as needed—often multiple times per week. This works when there is no disruption to the supply chain, but, as is seen, it completely breaks down if the supply chain has issues (transportation of goods, manufacture of goods, etc.).

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
The political nitwitery and conspiracy theories notwithstanding, what is being seen is the result of a poor-conceived inventory management system called "just-in-time". It's hardly a new concept, but it really took hold in the US during the 1980s (the "Decade of Greed"). In its basic form, the end receiver keeps little to no inventory on hand and reorders inventory as needed—often multiple times per week. This works when there is no disruption to the supply chain, but, as is seen, it completely breaks down if the supply chain has issues (transportation of goods, manufacture of goods, etc.).
BS...The system works just fine until somone purposely impedes it....It's just like prepping for disaster by storing your own food-- no matter how much you store, it WILL run out if the situation lasts long enough and you don't have a continuing source to replenish it.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts