What is this?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Wilbursmommy, May 31, 2005.

1. Wilbursmommy

Wilbursmommy Well-Known Member

I recently got 2 nzw bunnies. 1 male and 1 female. I have them in seperate cages and I forgot who was who, so I checked this morning to see which one was the male. He had alot of little pus bumps around his penis. I am new to raising bunnies and I don't know what this is. If anyone does know, is it something that can be cured? Is it contagious to the female? I have 2 other females and would like to breed them soon, but don't want them to catch something. Thanks for any info!

2. Wilbursmommy

Wilbursmommy Well-Known Member

Well, I think I may know what is wrong with the bunny. Been doing some research, and it looks like its vent disease or bunny syphilis. Can be treated with antibiotics. Now I just have to find a vet in this area who treats rabbits.

3. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Sounds like vent disease. I can't recall what we were putting on them, but it was in a tube, and I think you put it on two times a day, and it clears it up. Don't breed him until you get rid of it, or it will pass to the does. You don't have to take him to a vet, just find out what treats it and get it from the vet or local feed store, etc...