Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bunny Poo Monger
3,067 Posts
I don't know what kind of moth it is but it sure is pretty. It's got to be 5 to 5 1/2 inches across. I don't recall seeing a moth that big here in central Florida.

The largest moth I've seen here is about 4 inches across and has a more V shape to the wings. I hope for your sake it isn't a destructive type.

·
Registered
48 Posts
gmom said:
The beautiful moth is an owl moth

Owl Moth (Thysania zenobia)
Background Information

[/IMG]

San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX
September 26, 2003 (K Martin)
Gmom
[url]http://home.satx.rr.com/txento/zenobia.htm[/url][/QUOTE]
when you go here click on "live photo from texas"

·
Registered
700 Posts
what type of bugs do Moths eat, we got a garage by a flood area and a slew. It gets BUGGY and these big moths flying around annoys me when I'm working on my truck(just outside the garage)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! It is an Owl Moth and after going to the link below my husband noticed they wanted spottings reported. He emailed Mr. Mike Quinn who was very appreciative and asked to use the photo. The photo is now included on the same link!

Keep your cameras ready!

·
Registered
48 Posts
JAS said:
Thank you! It is an Owl Moth and after going to the link below my husband noticed they wanted spottings reported. He emailed Mr. Mike Quinn who was very appreciative and asked to use the photo. The photo is now included on the same link!

Keep your cameras ready!

Wonderful!!!!
I Love that.
Gmom

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Maybe someone knows our mystery bug...........

Our property is in West Virginia- growing zone 6. A few weeks ago, I was in our out "porch", when I noticed an insect. It appearred to be a mosquito hawk, but it's body was extemely thin- the wings were too thin also. Lots of wings and legs. It seemed to be trying to escape from a spider's web- but there was none. It was just flitting up and down, and back and forth. Every so often it would stop, and then it folded up and looked like a tiny bit of debris. I could not get a picture, as you might imagine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rick said:
Maybe someone knows our mystery bug...........

Our property is in West Virginia- growing zone 6. A few weeks ago, I was in our out "porch", when I noticed an insect. It appearred to be a mosquito hawk, but it's body was extemely thin- the wings were too thin also. Lots of wings and legs. It seemed to be trying to escape from a spider's web- but there was none. It was just flitting up and down, and back and forth. Every so often it would stop, and then it folded up and looked like a tiny bit of debris. I could not get a picture, as you might imagine.

Any ideas?
Hard to say without the picture. Try this site it's great.

http://www.enature.com/search/show_search_thumb.asp?curGroupID=4

Gmom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts