Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this? I found it on the bottom of this page.

ℼ潤瑣灹⁥瑨汭㰾瑨汭㰾敨摡㰾瑳汹㹥筡潣潬㩲〣〰昰給潢祤琬扡敬搬癩甬ⱬ楬浻牡楧㩮㬰慰摤湩㩧細潢祤扻捡杫潲湵ⵤ潣潬㩲牴湡灳牡湥㭴潦瑮昭浡汩㩹刢扯瑯≯愬楲污猬湡⵳敳楲㭦潦瑮眭楥桧㩴〳㬰㱽猯祴敬㰾捳楲瑰⠾畦据楴湯⤨睻湩潤⹷獳昽湵瑣潩⡮笩㭽⥽⤨⠻畦据楴湯⤨登牡挠琽楨ⱳ㵥畦据楴湯愨笩慶⁲㵢祴数景愠椻⡦漢橢捥≴㴽⥢晩愨笩晩愨椠獮慴据潥⁦牁慲⥹敲畴湲愢牲祡㬢晩愨椠獮慴据潥⁦扏敪瑣爩瑥

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
What it really means:

Back in the stone ages of computing, a wee bit after the eugenics freaks at IBM were helping Hitler find efficient ways to exterminate Jews, they came up a dandy way of taking the 128 possible combinations of 7 1's and 0's common in the computers of the day to represent useful symbols, like the ALPHABET, and numbers, periods, commas, punctuation, etc. This chart of 128 binary values eventually became what is known as ASCII and was adopted world-wide, at least the English speaking parts. Eventually, 8-bit computers would rule the world and extra column was added to the chart so cool symbols that made things like single and double-lines boxes which could be added to computer displays. Wow! Flashy!

The world did great things with this 8-bit ASCII chart. Bulletin board systems. Pong. The internet.

Enter Bill Gates. Ever wishing to usurp IBM's OS/2, he eyed the massive population of China to finally give him global market dominance of Windows 3.0. He had one problem. He could never get the Windows License Agreement (which literally states: "you agree to accept and use the generous donation of vaccines from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for your entire household. Please stop overwhelming Mother Earth with your ballooning population.") to appear on a Chinese computer terminal in Mandarin with it's 1000's of alphabet characters. Problem? Solution! Another byte added to the chart! With an extra 8 bits to play with, we can cram any character into a chart with 65,536 slots. Mandarin, no problem! Anything you can conjure will fit there. (Unless it is extra-terrestrial. You're gonna need a bigger chart. Sorry.)

So my beloved, simple, 7-bit ASCII chart of letters and numbers eventually got replaced with some impossible to decipher 16-bit thing called "UNICODE". Perfect name for a one-world symbol table for a unified one-world government with transformed citizens placing one-world currency into the collection plate to the one-world religion.

But ASCII still lives on. And somewhere between the Google ad server dishing out placements for "RussianBrides.com" on HT and scooter's web browser whose job it is to decipher the bits and place them in an orderly fashion on screen, a bit was dropped and the browser mistook plain ol' ASCII from the Russian e-commerce site for Kanjii and rendered the bits in Mandarin.

Whatever you do, don't click "I Agree".

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Can you put those questions in the Support and announcment forum at the bottom of the index?

That is an ad we are trying to identify so we can shut it down. It seems to be a remnant of an early set of ads.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
I don't have it on my computer so you must be hacked by a person that likes to play jokes on you or it may be a Trogan horse that will blow up on you when you prest the wrong key.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Abe, you are Awnry!

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Mine has it too and I also tried to translate it. It is actually a very large page of carp (pun intended) placed there by the Chinese as an ad for the movie dragon day! Which I will be watching next week, read the book last year.

·
Registered
285 Posts
So, so glad to see this thread because I, also, have this dratted Chinese nonsense on my HT. I have been assuming that it is a virus and that I should delete HT from my computer. Following that assumption, I've been running all sorts of anti-virus programs to get rid of it. So, I should have the cleanest computer in existence. But, still it persists. Now, I'm figuring that it is really part of a WM-financed spy system (probably linked to the IRS)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts