Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
It is a wild strawberry.
I haven't found them to be all that tasty, but I think it may depend a lot on which soil they grow in.

I do find them to be a fantastic ground cover though.
Very non-offensive and a great shade for the ground in the garden.
They fill my pathways and cover my pepper and tomato beds in the summer.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
All of my life I have heard how good wild strawberries are. I have tried hundreds and found them bland. Not worth bending over to pick. Recently I found out that there are wild strawberries (that are supposed to be delicious) and "indian strawberry" which are bland.I have never found a wild strawberry. If it's good it must be the "wild strawberry" Is it?

Wade

·
Registered
229 Posts
If it's hiding under the plant a bit like a regular strawberry would, it's a wild strawberry. If not, and it's sticking straight up announcing its presence to the world,it's the bland kind. At least that's what I read when I looked it up a few weeks ago. ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All of my life I have heard how good wild strawberries are. I have tried hundreds and found them bland. Not worth bending over to pick. Recently I found out that there are wild strawberries (that are supposed to be delicious) and "indian strawberry" which are bland.I have never found a wild strawberry. If it's good it must be the "wild strawberry" Is it?

Wade
No idea. Haven't tried one yet.

·
Premium Member
25,235 Posts
If it produces yellow flowers it's Barren Strawberry or Indian Strawberry. Actually a type of vining cinquefoil. IMO a nuisance weed but some people like them.

You know they taste bad when the rabbits won't eat them.

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
Looks like a wild strawberry to me?

We have them all over and they are not Bland and much better then any cultivated ones I have ever had. Though so much smaller!

I think part of it is on how much light they get.

The ones that are somewhat shaded by the Grass and brush seem to be the tastiest.

May have to do with how quickly they grow and ripen?

Just a theory I have.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Not a wild strawberry. The leaves are too small. Plus wild strawberry doesn't produce fruit at this time of year.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
That looks like my ever-bearing strawberries on the runners at this time of year. In the summer a lot of the berries were bigger but the ones growing now on the spreading runners are all small. Even the leaves and the flowers on the runners are a lot smaller, but there's lots of berries growing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts