What is this

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Unregistered-1427815803, May 20, 2004.

1. HI,
    I don't know if anyone can help, but here goes. I have a bird feeder in the yard. It appears that some of the seeds that fall to the ground are sprouting. The little sprouts are about 1 inch tall, with 2 leaves that are kinda fleshy. I carefully dug some out of the ground with my fingers and put them in a pot to see if they grow. Only thing is I have no idea what they are. The seed mixture contains millet, milo, sunflower, wheat so the sprout should be one of these, only I cannot find any pictures on the web to compare them to. Anyone have any ideas what they could be?

2. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

Its could be Purslane, here's a picture
    http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/purslane.html

3. chickenman

chickenman Well-Known Member

I would bet they are sunflowers......

4. stuckinsd

stuckinsd Well-Known Member

millet, milo and wheat all look like grass when they come up. if they are rounded leaves, it would have to be sunflowers stuck...

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Yea, sunflowers, those pop up no matter what it seems.

6. Hi,
    I planted the 'sprouts' that from the previous posts were sunflowers. They are along the garage, actually I had to climb over the lavendar plant, hold on the fence, hoping the next door neighbors dog did not come an bite me, pull up all (most of ) the weeds, cut through the black 'paper' that my mom had put down (the one to keep weeds from growing but really seems to be a good place for weeds to grow), plant the sunflower seedlings, get covered in mud, working in a space that is about 2 feet wide and about 15 feet long. but hey, the birdies should like the sunflowers when they grow and maybe that way we will save money on buying sunflower seeds for them.