What IS this thing?????

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by OD, Jul 12, 2005.

1. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Dh came in today with this on his shoulder. He said "It's some kind of squash, but I don't remember the name." One of his customers gave it too him & said it makes good pies. I don't want to call & ask him about it, because he is a big tease, & I'm afraid it's a joke, & calling would just get me in deeper.
    That's a 12 inch ruler beside it.
    Does anybody know what it is? TIA
    [​IMG]

2. CoonXpress

CoonXpress Well-Known Member

Ain't sure, but it might be a Hubbard.

3. CoonXpress

CoonXpress Well-Known Member

I'm wrong, ain't a Hubbard, but a Banana Squash.

Here's a recipe that I swiped off the 'net;

Roasted Banana Squash Soup with Apples and Ginger

1 1-1.5 pound banana squash (ask your produce manager), diced
    1 whole apple (any type but macintosh)
    1 oz. fresh ginger, peeled and grated
    32 oz. chicken stock
    1/2 finely chopped white onion
    4 oz. heavy cream
    2 oz. butter
    salt and pepper to taste
    For Garnish
    3 oz. sour cream
    choppes fresh basil and parsley

Serves 4
    Sauté onion, apple and banana squash in butter. Season with salt and pepper, add ginger and sauté for a few minutes until tender. Add stock. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 45 minutes. Add cream and pureé entire mixture. Pass through a strainer, then bring back to a boil. Serve with sour cream and fresh herbs as a garnish.

Will

4. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Thank you, Will.
    The recipe calls for a 1 to 1 1/2 pound one, & this one weighs a little over 6 pounds, so it may be just a tad over ripe. :rolleyes: At least, now I know what it is.
    I guess I'll cut it open & see what the inside looks like.
    I wish it had been a watermelon.

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i thought it might be cushaw, but the banana squash is right. cushaw is green and white stripe.

use it in your favorite pumpkin pie recipe, just substitute this for the pumpkin. yummy!! and a nice change from the usual pumpkin at the holidays.

6. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Doesn't look exactly like the banana squash I've grown, but close enough that's what I'd think, too. I also used mine for "pumpkin" pie.
    mary

7. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

It is definately a banana squash. I've grown them before. They may grow up to 24 inches long. They are really delicious. Use it as though it were pumpkin but you'll get a different flavor. And Don't throw out the seeds..Save for planting....If you don't want to plant it.....send me the seeds as they are kind of hard to find....I'd gladly BUY the seeds from you.... :clap:

8. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

you can also cut them into slices, cut off the rind and fry them the same way that you fry sweet potato slices. they are good that way also

9. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Looks like the things my grandmother called a 'marrow'. Not unlike a zucchini or a pattypan squash inside. Mainly used stuffed with a meat or rice mixture, and baked.

10. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Looks like the banana squashes that I have grown too...does it have a pinkish yellowish skin? I can't tell on my monitor? I have baked the banana squashes that I have grown...cut up with brown sugar and butter with a sprinkle of cinnamon. Great in pies. I haven't tried canning them, but they would work just like the pumpkin or cushaw. I mainly can cushaw and butternut(combined) for pies, but the banana squash would be great too! Sounds good fried like sweet potatoes too Hippie! If this squash is something that your friend saved seeds for, it is possible that he got a cross between a hubbard(because of it's bumpy skin) and a banana squash. Squash cross very easily!