Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1409063770.360008.jpg
One of the Fresian mares I work with gets this every spring and it usually leaves in the winter. The vet doesn't seem to know what causes it. Treating with MTG has stopped working.

This lesion is midline just ahead of the udder, and is about 6in x 18in.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Summer sores or sweet itch. Have your tried Swat or kept fly spray on the area? I use Pyrahna, it is the only fly spray that works.

She could also have an allergy to late summer plants? I have two geldings who are fine until late July, early August, then they both rub manes and tables out and break out with patches of dry, irritated skin on their backs and under bellies.

Hope you find the cause/cure. It is probably pretty uncomfortable for her..

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had a mare with the same problem. I tried everything and could not get it to go away. An old-timer told me to spray it with Listerene. I did, twice a day and it went away within about 2 weeks. I repeated every spring it showed up, and it usually only took a few days to go away. Lost her just shy of 34, but the Listerene kept working.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
There's no cure for sweet itch, it's an allergy to gnat bites.

Treatment is multifold- use a good fly spray (Endure, Absorbine black bottle, the one in the bright orange bottle who's name escapes me... etc.) in my opinion the homemade fly sprays just don't work, depending on where the irritation is you can use fly sheets/masks, a goopy cover like Swat or Gnataway, and it severe cases an inject-able or feed through cortico-steroids.

Good luck.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Some of our horses have had terrible insect problems on the midline of belly all summer. I do the cheap, Dollar Store Vasaline on them about every other day, to keep the crust gone and skin soft. Some have rough patches behind the girth area, another will have the whole stomach line crusted.

I have been getting the creamy Vasaline, has added Vit E, because it comes in larger tubes than the boxed, plain Vasaline stuff, found in the Baby section. For $1 the tube, I can afford to get LOTS of the Vasaline and grease the horse stomachs as needed. The creamy stuff seems to stay in place, not get runny, like plain Vasaline.

They also got some terrible bites up between the hind legs, both mare and geldings, that I just slathered the Vasaline on and they cleared up. Chests, armpits, between jawbones, also were bitten off and on as the insects changed during summer, so those parts also got greased as I found bites or scabs. Oddly enough the two younger horse have had almost no bites! We are blaming their color, not as dark of Bay as the older horses.

Ours are stalled in daylight hours, which helps reduce bites too. Fly spray of any kind doesn't really seem to help much, even the PRICY Endure spray. Have to soften the crusts and cover skin to protect the locations with the greasy layers of Vasaline to get ANY kind of improvement.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Ours are stalled in daylight hours, which helps reduce bites too. Fly spray of any kind doesn't really seem to help much, even the PRICY Endure spray. Have to soften the crusts and cover skin to protect the locations with the greasy layers of Vasaline to get ANY kind of improvement.
I've found that none of the fly sprays work well on gnats. I use Gold Nugget G Natural Cream, it used to be called Gnat away, and it does help.

Neither of the two mares I have now has any reaction to gnats, thankfully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts