What is this plant?

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by hawkeye, Aug 5, 2006.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye Well-Known Member

I used worm castings this spring to repot my lemon tree before setting it outside for the summer. We feed kitchen scraps to the worms. Soon, a small tomato plant, and what I thought was a cucumber came up in the pot, so i just let them grow. Now, both are healthy and have fruit, but I have my doubts about the cucumber. What do you think I have?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, can someone tell me how to imbed pictures in a post? I followed the directions I found in a sticky here, and this was the result.
    :shrug:

2. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

What kind of melons do you usually buy? Bloom looks like a cantalope, second picture looks like a small honeydew.

3. hawkeye

We've probably had both, plus other kinds of melons from the Korean grocer, in the last year. Any could have ended up in the worm bin.

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Gee, you do better gardening by accident than I do on purpose...........

5. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

Looks like honeydew or cantaloupe.

I looked at the code for your pics and it appears it's right. I have no idea why the pics didn't show up.

6. hawkeye

Yeah, I do betterf gardening by accident than I do on purpose, too. The tomatoe plant on this lemon tree is the only one I have that doesn't have severe wilt problems, and now it looks like I might have a cantaloupe in the lemon tree, too!

We had a pumpkin vine a few years ago that climbed up an apple tree. The pumpkins up in the tree did much better than the ones on the ground. I would have thought the vine wouldn't be strong enough to hold heavy pumpkins hanging from a limb, but they did great.

Gardening can be a crap shoot, can't it?