Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i get this weed around the stead' every year. i think it may be a type of dock, but i really don't know. i let this one grow all season long until it started to seed just to see how big it would get. it was 14 ft. 6 in. from base to tip and 15 feet if you measure the root ball that came up with it.

since you are here and willing to help, what is this nasty weed? another type of dock? it is a serious problem in the pasture and a bit of a pain in the garden. when green, it has leaves that resemble horseradish.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well....both weeds seem to have interesting uses. i should look into selling the yellow dock, lol. i could be rich!

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'm trying to find a photo of the "wild lettuce" I'm thinking that is but I can't come up with one so its not the wild lettuce I had thought it was. I'll keep looking. Maybe someone else has some thoughts.

As for the dock, you are talking about the brown seed heads right? If that's the case I'm pretty solid on that one, I've got tons of it. When you pull it up it has a large tap root and the green leaves are big and pointed with a little wave, right?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
"those brown seeds are edible if you are willing to winnow them out" ... can you explain (give directions) on this. Pass quite a few farmer's pastures that have these rust colored plants growing. Was thinking that it was a form of amaranth (sp?).
Always love free food.
TIA,
~~ pelenaka ~~
http://thirtyfivebyninety.blogspot.com/

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
those seeds are the scratchiest, nastiest seeds i know of, lol. kudos to anyone who can winnow those out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts