What is this bug??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Leah IL, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

There are hundreds of these black beetles with red markings on the wings sitting in the sun on the side of my house and back door. They have shown up regularly the past week or so in the warm sunny afternoons. Before that I have only seen a few of them around. It's some kind of a beetle, but I can't seem to come up with a name for them. Any ideas? I live among cornfields, so maybe it's got something to do with the harvest stirring them up.

2. Gayle in LA

Gayle in LA Well-Known Member

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

just what I was gonna say.

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

If you can't post a photo here...go to bugguide.net and check out their photos of who is what. There are lots of possibilities!

5. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

I have a photo in my documents on my computer, but I don't know how to get it from there to here. When my husband gets home I'll ask him :)

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Instructions on posting pics, copied from what I wrote on GC.

First you have to download the picture to a website. Try www.photobucket.com or www.snapfish.com.

Then you have to rightclick on the picture when you are viewing it, at the website you downloaded it to, and click "properties".

This will pop up a window with the "url address" Copy this url address, starting with http:// .

Then paste this URL address to your message here.

Finally select it, and click on the little mountain picture button above where you type your message.

7. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

boxelder bugs... looking for a warm place for winter. Like the lady bug/ japanese beetles they will find a place to stay in your home for the winter and come out when the temps warm up. You will probably have them all winter.

8. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

My guess is Box Elder bugs. They are quite a nuisance. They infest box elder trees and silver maples, and here in CO they seem to like scrub oak. They can have multiple generations through the summer and in the fall the adults look for a spot to hibernate. I believe they can see heat. They usually show up now on the sunny south side of a structure and get into litter at the base. If the house has siding they can get inside the walls. If the windows are not tight or calked poorly, they get in that way. Once they are inside, they will emerge all winter. If you squash them they stink and stain. Here in CO they will move around outside on sunny winter days and new bugs come to the house. Most pesticides don't work because of they don't last through the winter. A strong pyrethroid applied now may cause them to leave before they enter the structure. The most effective strategy is to spend the time and effort to completely seal all entry points on the sunny side. This will save you heating money, so you get a bonus. Also, clear the litter from the base of the house. My text says to cut down the tree!! This usually isn't possible because someone else owns it. You can have the tree sprayed, but the timing is in the spring and summer, not now.

9. dla

dla Well-Known Member

GoBug always knows!

Do they actually eat your house, or just share the space with you in an aggravating way?

10. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

Wood is not their source of food. They just want a warm place and are a nuisance. When the lady bugs/japanese beetle come around they will leave a nasty trail on anything. Uncertain if the boxelder bugs do this or not.

11. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

Ok, they are for sure box elder bugs. I did an image search on google and there they were. YUCK! They're all over the place! I must have killed a hundred of them today in my mudroom. They don't seem to be getting inside other than the mudroom, so I am going to try and seal it up back there pretty good. We're getting all new windows this month, so maybe that will help.

Thanks for your help identifying my pests :)

12. gobug

Box elder bugs, lady bugs, elm leaf beetles, and clover mites are all hibernators that just spend the winter waiting for spring. They don't really damage anything or bite. Just a big nuisance. Maybe the japanes beetle mentioned is the same as what I call the elm leaf beetle. (japanese elm?) I never heard about the trails. There may be others, but these are the common hibernators that enter homes.

13. gobug

Oh yeah! How could I forget cluster flies?