What is this big fat caterpillar?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Raftercat5, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

OK, this thing was in my sandy yard today. It's huge!! Please, someone tell me what it is. It's about 7-8 cm. long and 1.5 cm diameter. We're in northern South Carolina.
    - Kathy

[​IMG]

2. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Raftercat5

Hey, Thanks, Danaus! You sure are quick! (and smart!)
    - Kathy

4. Danaus29

I knew what it was as soon as I saw it, I used to find and raise them. Took me a while to find a good link.

5. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

You still went up two cool points with me Danaus29 LOL If you had said you were an entomologist with an advanced degree I would have fallen hook line and sinker. I have never seen the caterpillers but I have seen the moths in KY when I was little.

6. Raftercat5

Jnap: I agree with you! LOL
    - Kathy

7. Danaus29

Thanks for the compliments. I've studied insects for as long as I can remember but don't have a degree even though I would really like to earn a doctorate. Too much math is required. Math and I don't get along, even if I use a calculator.

We used to get those caterpillars along with Luna, Cecropia, and Polyphemus in the trees in our yard. I love those big bugs. I once got an award for a Tomato Worm exhibit when I was in 4-H. I still raise the caterpillars when I find them. Had over 50 Monarchs this summer and some really cool moths. Unfotunately for my Hickory Horned Devil (http://www.shawnolson.net/a/1170/) (that one wasn't mine, cool site BTW) it was infested with parasitic fly larvae. The flies won't be getting out to infest other caterpillars, BWWAAAAHHHAAAHHHH!!!!! I think they are the same species that infests Monarch caterpillars.

Sorry about the ramble. Insects are my favorite critters and I could spend hours chatting about them.

8. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

9. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

Last time I saw one of those was in Mexico in the bottom of a bottle... :)

10. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I cant do math to save my life either, I did math 98 after highschool cause I did not score high enough for algebra then I did algebra and earned a D LOL I had the best teacher in the world I just have a math deficit. I got A's in just about everything else and have over 4 years of college and a 3 year elementary ed degree,but I will never have a BA cause i cant do high math "oh" well I dont need a 4 year degree to homestead and be a market farmer. I remember when I was 4 or 5 we were visiting my italian family in long Is NY and I saw a huge praying mantis under a bench someone had stepped on I was so sad mom told me they were protected and beneficial and they should not have done that. When I was in first grade I stood up in the auditorium full of teachers and parents and we were suppose to say what we were going to be when we grew up, I said I was going to be an entomologist LOL I remember that like yesterday. Soon I was way more into reptiles I spent many hours catching and observing them growing up use to keep loads of them at home also.Also Was a member of the dayton herpetelogical society for a few years when I was young. I use to look for arrowheads also in farm fields and was a member of the archeaology society also. I still am fascinated by all sorts of critters I still cant see a lizard with out trying to catch it for old times sake, I am sure my kids are going to have lots of fun with me when I get home, DW said my daughter wanted to find frogs a few days ago and DW said there were none to be found well DD age 3 and a half went out and found 3!! one on the widow frame one on the tarp over the wood pile and one on a tree! can you believe that, ALso DW says that the boys also catch all sorts of critter they come in with walking sticks and they had a huge caterpiller the other day they came in the room with it when I was on the phone with DW and she screamed She is scared of caterpillers LOL go figure she will help me butcher chickens and cows and a caterpiller will send her running LOL Uh oh I am rambling also

11. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Hey, isn't a prop in a Japanese horror film????

12. Greenhorn13

Greenhorn13 Member

Chicken food??

13. lonelytree

lonelytree Guest

When I lived in NC, those were bass bait. One guy used a hook and turned them inside out.

14. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I used catalpa worms for bait also

15. Danaus29

And I won't kill a tomato worm because they turn into such lovely moths!!! I don't think I could ever use a caterpillar for fish bait.

jnap31, I grew up close to Dayton. We lived in West Alexandria when I was a kid. Grandma still owns a farm down there.

16. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

it's green with yellow highlights, I'd say it was made by the John Deere tractor folks

17. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I spent 4 years in fairborn 2 years in troy and one year in Bellfountain. I use to go hunting for critters a lot in Glen helen at yellowsprings OH.

18. Danaus29

What a coincidence! We lived in Troy from '79 to '83. I kept threatening to run away and go back to the farm. I took the Environmental Occupations class at the JVS in Piqua. Sure was a lot more interresting program than anything Troy High had to offer, although I did get them to finally allow girls to take shop classes.

19. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

LOL your right its a small world! I lived there when I was in the 5th and 6th grade so I guess I was 11 and 12 that would have been in 87 -88 I liked the strawberry festival down on the levvee it was not to far away from my house. seems like I use to fish a lot ride down on the bycycle to the dam on the little miami and catch sunfish for supper LOL your bringing back memories. I liked the mountain man ruendevous in Piqua.

20. Danaus29

I never got to go fishing in that river but I walked across the levy many times on my way home from school. Did you ever visit Ludlow Falls to see the Christmas lights? Those were just beautiful!!! Never did see the Mountain Men rendezvous.