what is the university website with all of the building plans

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by greenacres, Nov 9, 2006.

1. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

I had it in my favorites and now we have a new computer and the old one is unhooked. I think it was Washington maybe? My in-laws are going to build a greenhouse and I suggested looking at it. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou

3. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

Thanks!!!! :dance:

4. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

5. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

6. SolarGary

SolarGary Well-Known Member

7. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

Hey SolarGary,

do you have any sources for building materials (for the window part)?

I want to put a greenhouse off the south side of my garden shed. I have plenty of lumber and such, but am looking for a source for the window panes. I live in SD, so insulation factor is important.

My DH has pretty much given the go ahead for this for spring, so now I'm looking for supplies.

Thanks
    Cathy

8. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

9. SolarGary

SolarGary Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have been using twinwall polcarbonate lately, and like it a lot. It runs about $1.5 per sqft, and has an R value similar to a double glazed glass window.
    Be sure to get the kind that is treated to be resistant to UV (which is almost all of it). Its a joy to work with compared to glass. Very tough -- its the stuff they make football helmets out of.

Some glazing suppliers listed here:
    http://www.builditsolar.com/References/supplierrefs.htm#Glazing

I got mine from the outfit called EnviroCept: http://www.greenhouses-etc.net/glazing/twinwall.htm
    They were fine to deal with, and prices with shipping were the lowest I found at the time.

Sundance and the GreenHouseMegaStore (listed at the link) are popular places. Be sure to get a quote for both price and shipping -- shipping varies a lot. If you can find a local place, you avoid the shipping, which is high.
    To the best of my knowledge, there is not a lot of differences between the different brands of twinwall polycarbonate, so you can shop around for the best price, and not worry much about quality differences.

Another possibility is the SunTuf corrugated single glazing. Home Depot sells this for $1 per sqft in 8 ft and 12 ft panels. I have used it for a large solar collector, and I like it. SunTuf is polycarbonate -- the best of the plastics -- you can get PVC and other materials a bit cheaper, but I think the polycarbonate is worth paying extra for. SunTuf is guaranteed for "life" :)

Gary

10. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter