What is the significance of "adjacent to state land?"

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jun 6, 2004.

1. I see many real estate ads that read "adjacent to state land." Is this a positive or negative situation? Why would a buyer need that information?

2. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

nobody will build next to you. land is probably for public use whether it be a park or hunting and fishing ect.

3. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Public land is a double edged sword. On the positive side, the property will likely never be built on. Unless it is traded, it will remain an undeveloped property.

Undeveloped doesn't mean it won't be used. If it is forestry land, the state will likely have the property logged on a periodic basis. It may even be clear cut. Don't assume anything.

The bad thing about being next to "public land" is that during hunting season......you will inevitably have hordes of hunters crossing your property.....thinking they are on public land. The fact that you have no trespassing signs every 18" and an 8' high prison fence means nothing to these interlopers!
    If you think I'm joking.....ask someone that owns property next to public land.

Generally, property that adjoins public land have a premium price placed on them.

4. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Hoop, Don't know where you are located, but my property adjoins Forest Service land and in 14 years I have never had a hunter on my property. My biggest problem comes from the Nat. Guard exercises for 2 weeks in the summers. Those guys and gals think nothing of climbing fences and trespassing. One year 3 came onto my property, changed into civies, stashed their uniforms, and left the area to apparently train for a marathon. Too bad when they came back - my dog had brought me their uniforms and password notebooks which I promptly drove over to the command area and turned in. I just happened to be watching when they came back from their run and boy, were they frantic. The Forest Service here does not allow much logging and never clear cuts. I will always try to adjoin public lands.

5. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

my place is surrounded by public lands both state and federal. pluses, no neighbors and the hunters are noisy but not troublesom though i must keep track of the critters so they dont wander and become "deer". minusus, 7miles of our road is not plowed in winter and snowmobilers are noisy too. permit to plow road to specifications of forest service is a grand per winter and you gotta have a big plow. so access is not great. plusses outweigh the minuses unless you intend to build and resell.

6. cashcrop

cashcrop Well-Known Member

Hoop,

My property joins county forest. Never had an interloper come from that way. Did have one come from in from my cousins property, through my sisters property to mine(aproximately 1 mile). You should have seen the look on that hunters face when I told him I was the owner! He had that deer in the headlights look! :haha: Took him 1 - 2 minutes before he was way out of sight!

They haven't clear cut anything county owned around here as far I know/seen but, there was so much damage from the two big storms in the last 4 years it looks like it because a lot of loggers went in and cleaned up the blow downs.