What is the price of land in your area?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bercado, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Bercado

Bercado Well-Known Member

I am just looking for a general idea here. Give the high and the low ends of what can be expected for an acre of rural, somewhat arable land without improvements. You might want to break it up in terms of quantity.
    For instance in Missouri I have found the following:

1- 20 acres would be around 2000 to 6000 per acre
    and
    50 to 200 acres would be around 1000 to 3000 per acre

I am not really concerned with land prices that are driven way up because of urban proximity.
    Don't forget to mention the state or area.

2. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Smack dab in the middle of Il from $900 to $4500 an ac

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Indiana - Farm land averages above $3500 per acre statewide. Be hard to find anything under $2000 even if it wouldn't raise thistles.
    Buying less than 20 acres puts you into a different catagory. Home building sites would start at about double the farm land price, and depending on location can go up to unbelieveable prices.
    When a farm with a fair amount of acerage sells, it is common for them to survey it off into small acreages, then auction them off individually. They keep trying to auction these lots in different combinations until they reach the highest total amount for the whole works.
    Buying an older home on a few acres is about the cheapest way to get a country place. The miles it is from a place that offers decent employment pretty much sets the price.

4. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Depending on where in Missouri. You can still find a bargain once in a while. We picked up our 26 acres for less than $1,000 an acre a year and a half ago, but there was defintely divine internvention as far as I am concerned.

Otherwise, I'd say your figures are pretty darn accurate. Just depends on the quality of the land, proximity to water, etc.

donsgal

5. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

You are about right on the prices of land. Its about the same here in Alabama. Land has gotten to be the new investment around here and is going up in price every day. We have had four people in the past month seriously makeing offers to buy anything we wanted to sell. A year ago it was worth $1500 today we are turning down $2200 per acre in 50 acre lots. Last person said it was worth probably $3,000, and he would tell the person interested that price if we were interested in selling. My wife said there was nothing we needed the money for and if we had the money and the land was for sale she would probably want to buy it but since we already owned it ------------

6. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Suburbia of Helsinki Finland

1/2 acre - around 45,000 euros.

I'm not kidding, land is stupidly expensive around here.

Edit: That's just a good "prime" piece of land. I think yoy can get lots from anywhere around 15,000 and up.

Kat

7. Ohio dreamer

Ohio dreamer 1/2 bubble off plumb

My in-laws bought their land (3+ wooded hillside acres) about 6 yrs ago. Then it was going for about $7000 and ac, now closer to $8000. That's in the southern part of NE Ohio (Amish country). If you can go another 50 miles south or 20+ miles further from the interstate it starts to drop. Auctions can go cheaper (unless a developer is there).

8. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

Seeing as how we are actively shopping for land I can answer this for our area
    Marquette county, MI *rural land*
    Averages
    1 acre $5000
    5 acres $15000
    20 acres $30000
    40 acres $45000
    From there it drops to about $1000 an acre. Once you get up over 80 acres it slowly drops down to around $750 per acre.
    If you are not concerned about finding work many areas of the three surrounding counties are priced about half of that.
    Oh yeah, you must love the 6 month long winters with tons of snow! :p

9. Phalynx

Phalynx Well-Known Member

It's hard to not find a place in TX that isn't next to a major city, but in Sealy, TX (65M West of Houston) it is around 9-10k per acre up to about 20, and then about 8k to 50 acres.

In East TN where we are looking about 1.5 hours north of Knoxville, it's about 4-6K per acre up to 30.

10. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

in my neighborhood, depending on the lay of the land, it is anywhere from 1000 to 10,000 per acre.

example- 3 years ago, i paid 50k for a dw on 5 acres. bought an adjoining 10 acres for 19k. tax assessment last year said it was now worth 90k. 5 acres across the road, with no access road, not cleared, but logged 20 years ago, about 1/2 level and usable, with some kind of problem that needs a new survey is priced at 35k. prime farmland right down the road is averaging 10k per acre. so, it's very variable depending.

11. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Northern Illinois.
    There is a 105 acre piece of good farm ground and a little bit of timber for sale real near our place. It's offered at $735,000. Locals say that this is too high and it won't sell at that number. I've heard that 6,000 per acre is reasonable.
    Ten acres of good ground and a good 3 bedroom house is upper 200k to low 300's, depending on the home and outbuildings.

12. Jex99in00

Jex99in00 The Angry One

Here in NJ land is unaffordable. My fiance's parents got offered $800,000 for a 3 bedroom house and a barn on 10 AC. Stupidly expensive.

13. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

14. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

The problem we are seeing in southern Missouri is the folks from Florida and California who are moving there. They have lots of cash in hand from selling their high dollar real estate.

The local Missouri asking price is now often paid without a second thought. No negotiation, so the next piece for sale is higher. It spirals up and up.

15. RLStewart

RLStewart Well-Known Member

Around here in NW PA the price is probably about 1500 to 3000 if you are a ways out from the bigger cities. We bought a huge old farmhouse on 65 acres for 155K and its only 1/2 mile off a main road but the land is grown up and some of it swampy.

16. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

One Hill $1,500 an acre,next Hill $3,000 an acre.Southern Missouri.

big rockpile

17. DoubleBee

DoubleBee Well-Known Member

The big move to the country began here about 11 years ago, when they ran city water into the countryside.
    Ten years ago we bought our land at about $1500 an acre. We looked at other land that was $3000 and $5000 an acre.
    I know of one lady that paid $25,000 for her 1 acre in the country and it was a steep hillside.
    Not sure what it's running now, but way too much, I know that.

18. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

Kansas..Western 1/2 anyway 250.00 for grass up to 1000.00 for good farm ground.............idontno

19. Bercado

Bercado Well-Known Member

Quiverof9,What is the land like in northern Maine? How cold does it get? Are there any trees? Do people farm there?

Idontno, Is there water in the area of Kansas that you were referring to? How about trees and rainfall?

20. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

The two acres of woods next door to us in Vermont, sold for 40,000.

Yes, 40,000.

No amenities, no brook, nothing but trees. In a town with no police, sewer, water, fire, etc. 2 acres of scrub woods on top of a mountain.