What is the price of a bred cow?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by GR8LIFE, May 2, 2006.

1. GR8LIFE

GR8LIFE Well-Known Member

I have been toying with the idea of buying a cow so that we could have our own raw milk. Raw milk cannot be bought or sold in Virginia so I either have to buy cow shares or the cow. Since buying the cow shares is a long term commitment anyway, I thought maybe I would go ahead and buy my own cow since we have a stable and six and a half acres of nice pastureland. My neighbor used to milk goats and would be willing to take care of the cow if I had to be away. So, my question is, how much should I expect to pay for a bred cow?

2. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

Depending on local prices and availability, you're probably looking at $1500 minimum. I know I'd want that for minimum for my bred cow that is very noisey when in heat and AI breeds easily, too.

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Depends what you want, Jersey, Holstein, Ayshire, Brown Swiss, Guernsey. Also if they are registered or not.

Jeff

4. kgchis

kgchis Well-Known Member

I deal mostly in beef cattle, but the sales I go to also sale dairy cows. These are just cows not registered.

It depends on the cow. Here a good looking young bred cow will bring about $1,000 - $1,400. However, it you have good land that can support a broke mouth or short mouth cow that can come down to $600 or so. Also, if she has a hefier, you could have another great milking cow in 2 years.

We go buy 3 to 4 month bred short mouth or broke mouth cows, let them have the calf, and sell the calf the following spring or fall. It's a good way to turn a profit, but you have to have the right land or be willing to feed (i.e. no sandy soil, plenty of green tender grass they can easily eat).

5. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

What is a 'broke-mouth' or 'short-mouth' cow? Is it a broken jaw?

niki

6. GR8LIFE

GR8LIFE Well-Known Member

This is helpful. I guess you can all tell I'm a novice since I didn't even say which breed of cow. I expect it would be a Jersey since they are pretty docile and are good milkers. But, I am also attracted to a smaller breed such as a Dexter just because of my inexperience and I think it would be a breed that would be easier for me to handle. I like the idea of a cow with a heifer as well. I guess I would feel like the cow wouldn't be lonely if it had another cow. Also, how much does it run for AI? We have done AI with dogs but I have never owned cows so I don't know.
    Colleen

7. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

It means an older cow.

8. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

I have eight Jersey heifers that are being bred to my Dexter bull. I also have two that are bred to a 3/4Jersey 1/4 Angus bull that will calf any day.
    I am asking $1200.00 to $1600.00 a head. Hope this helps. Jim

9. kgchis

kgchis Well-Known Member

Broke mouth means that the cow is missing at least one tooth maybe more. Short-mouth means the teeth are worn down. Usually this happens in older cows, but they can be young too. If your pasture has sandy soil, it will wear their teeth quickly if you are not careful.

Here when they come through the ring at the sale, they will have a sticker on them with an BM or an SM indicating the teeth problems. If there is no sticker, then the teeth are fine.

We recently bought a 4 year old short mouth cow 6 months bred for $650. She already has a great heifer calf. We hope to sell the calf in the fall and get $400 or more. We will have mom bred back soon as possible if she isn't already.

10. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

Where are you in VA? I seem to have become the local cow matchmaker, so if you are indeed looking, and somewhere near rocky mount/roanoke, let me know......

I just got a scrawny (actually very nice but thin!) 4 year old about to freshen Jersey for $700.