What is the potential market for Nigerian Dwarf bucklings/whethers?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by KanakaNui, Nov 21, 2004.

1. KanakaNui

KanakaNui Member

Hi all,

We're considering getting a few Nigerian Dwarves for personal milk production. This is not a $$ enterprise, but just the same, we'd like to minimise the "fat" in our potential dairy herd (1-2 milkers, and bill).

What are some of the potential markets for Nigerian Dwarf bucklings/wethers? I'm the only one in the family that will eat meat, so I probably won't be eating them.

What could I do to market the bucks that are going to be born?

2. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I don't know where you're located, but around here, I sell weaned and friendly Nigerian wethers for $100 at 8 weeks old, no problem. People love them for pets and companion animals. Bucklings are much, much harder to sell, even coming from stock with excellent conformation and bloodlines on both sides. Because of my experiences last year, any future bucklings here of any breed will either be pre-sold or they'll be neutered at 10 weeks of age.

Incidentally, if you want little family milkers, you might do well to look into the mini-breeds.

3. KanakaNui

KanakaNui Member

Thank you,

We're in N.Central FL. , lived in Kent,WA for years till it turned to malls. Hadn't realized that there was much call for pets, but I guess if folks will keep emus, they might as well keep goats.

Thanks again

4. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Hi, we are in Michigan and have started with Pygmys. I have not yet had my kiddings, but have had many offers to purchase bucks in the 15 to 20 pound range to ethnic groups, primarily Mexican. Apparently they like them on the BBQ and also grind the meat for taco's/buritos, etc.

I also had two offers to purchase small weanlings as young as 8 to 10 weeks old from owners of a Greek restaurant. They are willing to buy small does for their menu items and are not looking for large animals as it would be a specialty dinner item.

You may wish to speak to owners of any Greek restaurant, and check on your ethnic populations there in your area of Fla.

Just a couple thoughts that I have kept in the back of my mind when we have any excess bucks or does (although it is hard as they are soooo cute when they are little).

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I wonder, though, if people would want the Nigerian Dwarf bucklings as much for meat. Pygmies are essentially a meat breed, while NDs are a dairy breed primarily. Have you thought of Kinders? They are dual purpose, still a small dairy breed, but with kids that are good for meat.

Kathleen

6. KanakaNui

KanakaNui Member

Thanx for all the helpful replys,

I had wondered about the ethnic markets. I know Mexicans like cabritos, but had assumed they would prefer larger animals. There is a medium sized muslim community here as well. I'm even less sure what their market is like. Tarpon Springs is not far from here, so I might look into the Greek market.The pet market is an excellent idea, but would have mixed feelings selling a single wether as a pet if that was all I had.

We're not set on Nigerian's as dairy. Kinder's look interesting as well as the mini-manchas. We are thinking Nigerian's mainly because there is a breeeder near by that seems knowledgable and has healthy, well-kept stock. They seem the easiest course for local small dairy goats.

I may be getting ahead of myself, tho. We'd like small dairy goats. I know eventually ( or initially) we will get bucklings/soon2be wethers from the freshening does.I know folks love their critters, but I don't want to wake up every am to feed my 2-3 milk goats and my 16 pet wethers.

Thanx again for all the market ideas