Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,396 Posts
Think you are confusing Xmas and New Years. But hey if you want a drunk Santa, more power to you, let it be on you to clean up after him.

By way you can tell this isnt an American cop or Santa be shot and bleeding out on sidewalk.

• Haha
Reactions: link30240

·
Registered
512 Posts
On the agricultural side of our county, we have two bars/liquor stores for many, many square miles.
And we kinda like it like that.

Reactions: 67drake

·
Super Moderator
13,523 Posts
Posted 11/21/22 11:51 PM CST

Back in 1990 before a snow event both me and my live in gf were interviewed on the news about snow in prepping . At the grocery store , while folks were scampering for bread and milk, she was loaded down with steaks , potatoes , beer ,soft drinks and 1 pound propane jugs for our hibachi grill. The same channel news caught me leaving the ABC liquor store with 6 half gallon jugs of bourbon.

We knew living in an apartment then , if we died in a snow in we would rather have steak between our teeth and bourbon in hand instead of froze milk :)

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
3,472 Posts
I used to drink some, but I stopped about 18 years ago. I had already cut back some, and we were in a fancy restaurant with some family members. The women were ordering cocktails and the waiter asked me if I wanted anything. I just said, "Yeah. I'll have a glass of wine."

My 4-year old grandson (whose daddy was a sorry POS alcoholic) looked at me and said, "You aren't going to get drunk, are you Granddaddy?"

It shook me to the core, and I realized how important it is for us to be role models for our kids and grand-kids.

But my life now sometimes kind of reminds me of the Toby Keith song - "You Ain't Much Fun Since I Quit Drinkin'":

·
Registered
16,625 Posts
Alcohol will always be with us.
Note who the target audience is for beer. It isn't the 60 year old guy. He has been drinking Hi Life since highschool and the only way he changes brands is because he can no longer afford his Miller. Boomers aren't the demographic for Bear Claw and fruity whiskey.
It is the youngest adult generation that are still trying to figure it out and make life choices. But that is true about most all marketing.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I used to drink some, but I stopped about 18 years ago. I had already cut back some, and we were in a fancy restaurant with some family members. The women were ordering cocktails and the waiter asked me if I wanted anything. I just said, "Yeah. I'll have a glass of wine."

My 4-year old grandson (whose daddy was a sorry POS alcoholic) looked at me and said, "You aren't going to get drunk, are you Granddaddy?"

It shook me to the core, and I realized how important it is for us to be role models for our kids and grand-kids.
This is so true! A tad off topic..
So my dad stayed with us for a month this summer. Our two year old had never met him before and it was a nice visit. My husband had been dressing her in a pair of overall pants off and on for the past few weeks now that it is cold. Every time he would dress her in these she would say phone phone. He had not a clue what she was talking about. Yesterday we were going for our walk she did the same thing.
So he gave her one of her purple play phones and she put it in the front pocket on the bib of the overalls. It just dawned on me that everyday my dad was here he would wear overalls and have his phone in his front pocket on his overalls.

It has been 3 months since he was here. She never said anything about while he was here, but she was watching...at just 2 years old!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
This is so true! A tad off topic..
So my dad stayed with us for a month this summer. Our two year old had never met him before and it was a nice visit. My husband had been dressing her in a pair of overall pants off and on for the past few weeks now that it is cold. Every time he would dress her in these she would say phone phone. He had not a clue what she was talking about. Yesterday we were going for our walk she did the same thing.
So he gave her one of her purple play phones and she put it in the front pocket on the bib of the overalls. It just dawned on me that everyday my dad was here he would wear overalls and have his phone in his front pocket on his overalls.

It has been 3 months since he was here. She never said anything about while he was here, but she was watching...at just 2 years old!
Kids are sponges.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts