Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This plan will have to include tex messanging. I know a friend who has cingular which is now at and t ,I think. She signed up for 2 years a year ago and now is stuck for another year. Or can she get out of the contract. She messaged 200 dollars worth last month plus the 75 dollars reguar bill.Why do people do that. Is it an addition?Help me to help her because I dont know anything about a cell phone .I dont have one . Looks to me like a lot of people use them for toys. Ican see a lot of people would need one in certain situations but why do some people have to have one glued to thier hand at all times, Nancy

L

·
0 Posts
NancyinArkansas said:
She messaged 200 dollars worth last month plus the 75 dollars reguar bill.
Good grief. That sounds outrageous.

I don't know anything about cell plans. My brother put our mother on his family plan. He says it costs an extra $10/month on his bill to add her. But I don't know if it would cost extra for texting. The company is US Cellular, I think.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Your friend needs to get a unlimited text plan. DW and I have 3000 minutes with unlimited text and data plans and it is about $300 a month after taxes and all. But we own our own business and travel alot. I can tell you that we never use all of our mintues we gt close sometimes if we have alot of shows but not over yet. Have a cellphone for the last 17years I have been through the ringer with it, but they have always been in my comapny name and mostly used for company business, especially back in the day when we had to pay by the minute!!
I just never want to be in a situation again where I get hit with cellphone overages, this way I can budget that our bill is going to be and plus at the end of the year it is a write off for us, so my experience may not be as relevant to your situation.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I use alltel here in NC. I get unlimited text messages for $19.95 per month. I have the plan with 1200 anytime minutes. However, due to the fact that I can pick 10 people to call for free and then the fact that all alltel to alltel calls are free I am going to decrease my anytime minutes. Also with alltel, you can change the plan at any time and no time is added to your contract. I get the best service with alltel here where I live also. Suncom, cingular and [email protected] signal suck in my area. Just my two cents worth though.

www.alltel.com

·
Registered
322 Posts
I also have cingular/At&t, have had them for years. I like the rollover minutes. Our plan includes 700 min per month and 2 phones for about $70 per month. I don't use the text feature, but I think it is about $10/month for unlimited texting. I use the phone a good bit, since we don't have long distance at home, and I still keep 2500 or so rollover minutes in reserve, hard to beat. Never had an issue with billing or coverage.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
NancyinArkansas said:
She messaged 200 dollars worth last month Looks to me like a lot of people use them for toys.
At ten cents per message (which is as high a rate as I've seen) she would have sent 2000 messages divided by 30 is an average of 67 messages per day or 4.2 messages per hour (roughly one every 13 minutes) if she sleeps/showers/eats/actually TALKS on the phone or anything else that would preclude the use of the phone for texting for 8 hours per day. Someone needs to have a heart-to-heart talk with her...

Your service provider options are going to be somewhat limited by your geographic location - not all providers have service to all areas. So that's where you would start. Once you've determined what companies service your area, go to the websites or give them a call and see what plans they offer - take careful notes for each and always end the conversation with the question "What will the amount on my monthly statement be if I don't exceed any of the limitations of this plan?" There are apparently no regulations requiring the providers to quote prices [including taxes] for their service. Hold their hands to the fire on this one - it's the only way you can compare apples to apples....

Good luck - it's a daunting task

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
we have Cingular/ATT....we have 600 anytime minutes and 3 phones.....only DH's phone has a media package that has 1 MB internet and 400 text messages....

.................Plan.......after taxes/fees
DH's phone = 49.99.........61.44 (he has a $9 discount for being law enforcement)
my phone = 19.99 ........28.39 (I had a couple pay-per-texts)
GPa's phone =19.99.........27.16 (someone ordered a game and the media pkg was canceled)
Total billed for July------116.99

each phone has a 4.99 insurance charge on them (we have used it pretty extensively)
the media bundle is 9.99 (DH's phone)

·
Registered
199 Posts
The cheapest cell phone plan is none at all! What is wrong with Americans, particularly of the "homesteading" ilk, that they think they have to have one of those "yuppie" phones? What makes you think you are so important anyway? For most of the history of the United States, the President didn't have such omnipresent communications! I've done the "executive" thing with 500+ people ultimately reporting to me and never felt the need to pack around a cell phone!
If you need communications that quickly, YOU have a problem!

Bob

·
Banned
6,049 Posts
morrowsmowers said:
We use TracFone: check out www.tracfone.com

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)
So do we and we average $10 a month for ours. We don't text though. :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Bob_W_in_NM said:
The cheapest cell phone plan is none at all! What is wrong with Americans, particularly of the "homesteading" ilk, that they think they have to have one of those "yuppie" phones? What makes you think you are so important anyway? For most of the history of the United States, the President didn't have such omnipresent communications! I've done the "executive" thing with 500+ people ultimately reporting to me and never felt the need to pack around a cell phone!

Bob
Some of us work or have family members that work third shift. My DW has to travel through some bad neighborhoods sometimes on her way to work. Also rural roads tend to not be maintained well at night during winter.

We have a Virgin Mobile prepaid. I paid $20.00 for the phone and I buy $20.00 worth of minutes that are good for three months before they expire. Usually we find ourself calling everybody we know, just to use up the minutes the day they expire.

Anybody running up that kind of phone bill isn't connected, they are addicted. Someone needs to take the phone away and they need to get a life. Sorry if you don't want to hear that, but, I watched a kid lose 2 fingers because he was so busy with his phone when he was supposed to be running a milling machine.

·
Registered
199 Posts
woodsrunner said:
Some of us work or have family members that work third shift. My DW has to travel through some bad neighborhoods sometimes on her way to work. Also rural roads tend to not be maintained well at night during winter.

We have a Virgin Mobile prepaid. I paid $20.00 for the phone and I buy $20.00 worth of minutes that are good for three months before they expire. Usually we find ourself calling everybody we know, just to use up the minutes the day they expire.

Anybody running up that kind of phone bill isn't connected, they are addicted. Someone needs to take the phone away and they need to get a life. Sorry if you don't want to hear that, but, I watched a kid lose 2 fingers because he was so busy with his phone when he was supposed to be running a milling machine.
Sorry dude, people have always worked on third shifts and driven on bad roads! Nothing new there. It (cell phone use) is just virtually unjustified.

Bob

·
Thechickenladyxx
300 Posts
Bob_W_in_NM said:

Bob
i have kids, and i like to know where they are, and an 86 y.o. father, i like to know if he's in trouble, and my husband hunts, so if he gets hurt i can go get him. there are many reasons for a cell phone. ours are mostly safety.

jesse

·
Registered
199 Posts
Still no justification! What did people do for most of the period of human existence? One thing for sure - they got by without "yuppie phones"! Having a cell phone on your belt on in your purse is a sure sign of total insecurity!

Bob

L

·
0 Posts
Bob_W_in_NM said:
Still no justification! What did people do for most of the period of human existence?
A lot of people died who didn't have to.

How do you justify having a computer, electricity, car, and running water?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Bob_W_in_NM said:
Still no justification! What did people do for most of the period of human existence? One thing for sure - they got by without "yuppie phones"! Having a cell phone on your belt on in your purse is a sure sign of total insecurity!

Bob
How can you determine who is justified or not? What did people do before landline telephones, which you yourself must be using to get an internet connection? Perhaps you're not justified in using that either. Maybe, we all need to go back to the good ol' days and just send Bubba running a few miles into town to fetch the doctor when Paw cuts himself with the axe, huh?

Please, what you don't justify for yourself, doesn't disqualify the necessity to someone else. Diversity makes the world go round, ya know.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Cell phones aren't necessary, but they darn sure are convenient. I have one in case of car trouble, or if we come across an accident.

Cellular One prepaid offers 300-minutes for $50 expires after 90 day's.. or 100 minutes for $20.

·
Debbie
263 Posts
depending on the coverage mostly for us, but I had a T-Mobile prepaid phone for several years. I think it was the best prepaid coverage you can get. If you only want a phone for safety, it is a good way to go. I sent that phone to my son and he is still using it. The minutes you pay for will last up to a year. Other pre paid plans I noticed run out in a month if you havent used in a month. I sent it to my son in Nashville, Tn because here where we live I only had spotty service and couldn't use it much, but I had that phone for about 5 years. Really good services, worth a look into, even texting to recieve was free and to send didn't cost that much either.
When we couldn't get good service here we went with Verizon wireless regular service, texting is to send $1.05 a text and .45 to recieve one :grump:
My daughter needed a cell phone and she likes to be on the phone 24/7 so t-mobile or verizon would not work good for her so I went with a local company and their pre-paid service "Corr Wireless" Their plan was unlimited calling and unlimited texting for 49.00 a month. Now that works great for her. I think it all depends on the need.
My daughter in law and my son didn't have a phone and I wanted to be able to call them so on her birthday last year I bought her a prepaid T-Mobil and they are still using it, if they can't afford to get minutes we can put them on there for them and are alway able to get intouch with them. They have small Children and that service works good for them.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Bob_W_in_NM said:

Bob
Say that.... while EMS is administering CPR to your loved one because you were a ½ hour from the nearest land line.
"Having a cell phone on your belt on in your purse is a sure sign of total insecurity!"
I look at it more like total communication, If my wife has gone to town on errands or to pick up supplies and I think of something else that is needed I call her before she returns...that saves $$ in gas and travel time..what's so insecure about that?
I do believe that people with cell phones need to exercise etiquette in the use, nothing I hate more than someone driving down the highway doing 40 MPH in a no passing zone with a phone stuck to there ear or someone at a grocery store standing in front of an isle gabbing and in my way, so involved in the conversation they don't realize 4 people behind them are there to shop...... :rolleyes:
Back to the topic of the OP, I use Alltel/simple freedom prepaid but I would say that that's not a good choice for someone that spends there entire day text messaging.
I would see what it would cost to break the 2 year contract and seek another service with unlimited use.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I was listening to Clark Howard the other day and he said of the prepaid plans Net10 was the best.

If your friend is going to do a lot of texting maybe one of those plans that has unlimited texting for a set price.

It might even be worth paying the $200 (or whatever it is) to get out of the contract and sign up with a different company.

Anita

1 - 20 of 34 Posts