what is the cause?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Oct 16, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

When milking my saanen doe Nanny last night and I always ya know hit the first two squirts to the side to make sure no gunk in there. Well when I went to get it out of the right side last nigth it wouldn't come out and when I looked at the end of her teat there was almost like cream cheese type stuff coming out. Maybe 1/4" worth then regular milk. I tossed the milk to the chickens and didnt save any and then tonight when I milked nothing at first but right in the middle of the milking! She has no fever, acts normal, no lumps, no hot spots on the udder, nothing that would indicate mastitis or anything but that just seems REALLY strange to me.
    Any thoughts?

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

One of my girls did this after getting into a tiff with another goat who butted her in the udder....the next milking it was fine....but I thought the same thing oh no here we go with mastitis but it wasn't ....I rubbed her with bag balm pretty heavily for a couple days just to be sure...

3. allenslabs

Oh well that could be the case here as she is bottom of the pole here in order.

4. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

Would have to agree with the butting, we were milking a doe who was also being used by a calf and well you know how a calf rams and had the same cottage cheeseish stuff in the udder. You can feel it moving through there, pretty gross.

5. allenslabs

Well there was nothing last night thank heavens!!