what is the best oil/grease for seasoning cast iron?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I used mostly olive oil for several months and then got a new grease keeper - so now I've been using a lot more bacon grease.

With the olive oil, the seasoning seemed to come off pretty easy. Like if somebody fused something to the pan and it needed to be scrubbed. With the bacon grease, it seems that stuff does not get accidentally fused to the pan as easily and when it does, scrubbing doesn't seem to take off the seasoning as easily.

Anybody developed a preference?

Any guesses as to why?

2. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

I have been using peanut oil for years on our cast iron cookware. The skillets are slicker than cat crap onna Cadillac windshield :p :p ......some folks swear by Crisco as well. :hobbyhors

3. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

Crisco.
    IMHO it's only good for seasoning cast iron, soap and greasing the sides of a dough bowl.

veme

4. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Peanut or grapeseed oil. They are both very high temp oils so they hold on better to the iron. Trouble with bacon grease is the salt can pit the iron.

5. mj1angier

mj1angier Well-Known Member

We have a lways used lard ( pig fat).
    But that might not be kosher :)

6. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

Must agree with Veme, Crisco. My gandma used lard until Crisco came out. Then all the grandkids learned to use Crisco to seasons cast Iron. I have never used anything else. You know grandmas know everything. :)

7. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

We used bacon grease for years and struggled getting a good seasoning on the pans with deeper pitting.
    Then we found instructions that suggested veggie oils because they leave more residue that fills those "pores" quickly.

We gave it a try and there was an instant improvement in the quality of our pans.

8. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

Peanut oil. It takes a very high heat to make it smoke which is why most Chinese cooks use it for wok's which reach a high temp.

9. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I've not tried it, but somebody here sometime back suggested bees wax was way to go....

10. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

I made caramel in my cast iron skillet a few weeks ago and now I have a seasoning to die for. Water beads and everything. I suspect it was the butter that was slowly melted in the skillet.

11. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

I use bacon grease. Thats all I have ever used so I cant compare it to any other product.

12. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

I use bacon grease or canola oil.

My favorite way, esp. for pieces destined for long strorage, is canola (rapeseed) oil.
    I bake it in the oven on a low heat, around 250 deg., for a long period of time. I wipe down the pan with a light coating, cook it for at least half hour to an hour, then add another layer, and so on.
    This leaves a resin like finish.

But be warned that it can really stink up a kitchen after a couple of hours of seasoning all of your pans. I have a lot of pans to season!

13. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    I think bacon fat is best. I've used veg oil and crisco before, but it seems to make a weird layer that scrapes off. I think the bacon grease soaks in better. It also works better seaoning an old rusty one too(after you brush it with a steel brush).

14. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

15. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

16. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Quite awhile ago I used Crisco only because I didn't know what else to use. The pans have really held up well ~ it make a good 'seal' for all of the cooking we have done. CAST IRON IS THE BEST!!!! :dance:

17. Jeff54321

Jeff54321 Well-Known Member

Refined almond oil can withstand heat higher than any other oil that I am aware of. Season with this at high temperature and it makes for a seriously durable finish.

18. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

The way the pioneers did it and the way our parents and grandparents did it for many generations....rendered lard.

19. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

I think we need a barf smiley :)

veme

20. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I think any kind of animal fat would be best. I use coconut oil, because that's what I mostly cook with now. (I still use olive oil for low temp stuff.) It works pretty well, and I always put a thin layer on after every use. I used to use Crisco, but I don't keep that garbage in the house anymore. Blech.