What is the best light weight 22 out there?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bergere, Aug 18, 2004.

1. bergere

bergere Just living Life

OK,,, am shopping for a 22 rifle.

Soooo.... what is the best made, light weight 22 out there?

2. I have a Ruger, great rifle!! Very light weight, I can easily shoot it with one hand. That is how light it is, and I am not that strong.

3. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I have two Marlins. Both are inexpensive and dependable with the shorter barreled one having a lightweight ABS stock and forepiece instead of wood. I can use it one handed with accuracy if I need to.

4. sdrew

sdrew Well-Known Member

bergere - Ruger 10-22 hands-down. There has been this exact discussion in the past,.... most agreed the Ruger 10-22 rules. http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=34500&highlight=ruger. I don't know if that copy&paste of the prior discussion will work , but it was started by "quiet mountain farmer" 11-14-2003. Hope that helps.
    Steve

5. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
  6. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    btw, I have a 10/22 as well. A good rifle but not especially light. If you're looking for a light 22 you could modify a 10/22 with a synthetic stock and lighten it up a bit.

Michael

7. athorne

athorne Member

For my money I say you can't beat a Ruger. I'm partial to bolt actions so I like the 77/22 but I don't have any complants with there semi auto 10/22 either.

8. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all,

Yup, I love my Ruger 10/22. It's light & handy.
    Extra magazines make it really quick to load,
    if you need too.
    Saw one a Wally-wurld the other day for $164.95.
    Can't beat 'em.

9. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

I prefer Ruger brand wise. My dad just got a Ruger 10/22.

We have a Marlin which I is not quiet as expensive but still a good rifle....I call it my "critter gitter"
    which i keep hollowpoints in it. Great for turtle shooting, snakes, coyotes.

10. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

I don't think there's any doubt that the best most accurate .22 rimfire rifle is the CZ.

However, it's a bolt-action, one-shot-at-a-time. Fine for me, but other people have different criteria. If you wanted a multi-shot self-loading, the Ruger would do it. If you wanted cheap good-enough then the Sterling bolt-action would be good enough - Canadian, do the job, who cares whether it's a one-inch (CZ) or two-inch (Sterling) group at one hundred metres.

11. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

I have a lever action Henry youth model that I really like. I guess it weighs about 4 lbs. Cost around $200. Great little gun!

12. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

A 10-22 ruger can be beat, my dad purchased one in 1974 and it drives tacks with open sights, but i can still beat it with my winchester model 06 pump action with a buckhorn sight on it as well.....

the winchester has a falling block style action operated by pump, which lends it to superior accuracy, a real good condition rifle will set a person back nearly $500.00 because they are sought after by collectors and shooters, New England Arms is currently making a copy of the model 06, that i understand is just as good, and around $200.00, it is a lightweight firearm, and has a rather short pull for the stock, fitting most kids women and small men easily out of the box..... mine was handed down in the family from my grandmother as it was her brother's who died in 1928 to me in 1974, it has served me well, and so it will serve my 2 boys also.

The 10/22 is really a bad firearm, depending upon what you intend to use it or any other 22 for it should be alright, the accuracy again is given to the locking mechanism on the bolt, which to my knowledge hgas not been copied by any other self loading firearm after over 30 years on the market. My dad was sold on it cuase a Viet Nam vet put 500 rounds a day thru one for over a year after returning to the world without a problem with that particular firearm........

there are of course other firearms availabe in 22 calibre, the remington model 08 is almost as good as the winchester 06, both being pump actions with tube feeds, the AR 7 is a nice self loading takedown shooter if you can find one, everything fits into the butt stock and it floats.....

another thing to consider is that most of the self loading [but not all] 22's use a clip that can be lost, my preference is a tube feed but it is my preference, the 10/22 has a 10 round rotary clip/magazine and there are folks around who have 50 round replacements that are pre-ban for only the Almighty knows what for.....

anyhow, there are many choices best to get to a sports shop that has a few different models in stock and heft them for yourself before buying.

William

13. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I have several makes and models but I prefer my Henry lever-action for knocking around, and use my Henry AR-7 for backpacking and canoe trips.

Dollar for dollar the Henry makes the best .22 rifle.

14. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

What you planning on using it for. If I missed that sorry. I just scanned all the posts. :eek: Are you a gun nut like me, or is this going to be one of your only rifles? I hesitate in recommending a semi auto for the person who doesn’t know much about guns.

I am a bolt action fan. I have 7 bolt actions and 4 autos 1 lever and a falling block single shot in .22 rimfire. Of course I am counting the ones I have bought and given to my 3 kids.

I have a Ruger 10-22. I am not a fan of it. Although it is a light weight semi auto that is accurate. I think the light weight makes it hard to hold still while hunting squirrels. This may be the rifle for you.

Savage makes some nice accurate rifles bolt action and semi auto.

It all goes back to what you want to do with it.
    Steve

15. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

I bought a Marlin Model 60 last year, and of all the 22's I have, it is by far the best I have. Cost about $110 at Wally World. Has a tube feed, and holds about 16 LR. Fastest little shooting gun I have ever seen.

16. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Hi,

Ya, should of stated that. Sorry.. :eek: Will need it for dogs or coyotes that go after my livestock.
    Have been shooting since I was 12 years old... ask DH how accurate I am. Can put his long time hunting family to shame, if I have too. I dislike doing it,, but I will when given no choice.
    I was raise with single bolt action 22. But for the life of me, I do not remember what model it was... other than by now, it would be,, hummm,,, rather old.
    It has to be light weight, because my body can't tolerate kickbacks or heavy weight any more.

I have a old BSE pellet rifle, that I use here,, because I am not out in the country enough for it to be safe to use a 22. Shoots just like a good 22, but with less than 1/2 the range.
    I will be moving to a place down in Oregon in Oct,, that I will need a 22 again.
    Also have a Shotgun that we will use if needed, but it is heavy,, and more kickback than I like. Is DH's gun... we have another heavy rifle, which is also Dh's... but the stock needs to be fixed.

Does anyone have links to sites with info on these 22's??

17. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I moved to centerfire for coyotes but if a .22 is all you can handle then (considering the task) get a semi auto. You'll want follow up shots no matter how accurate you are, a .22 won't deliver a lot of energy. I have a Ruger 10/22, next to Browning Ruger is my favorite. Check out Ruger

18. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

I looked around and found this.
    Hope it helps Nan.

This new single-shot combo rimfire rifle/shotgun is an excellent
    first gun for the youngster as well as a great utility tool for the experienced shooter.
    -----------------
    The new Rossi Matched Pair is exactly that—a lightweight, very accurate .22 Long Rifle/.410 (Modified choke) shotgun package with an innovative and deceptively simple design. And it retails for just $119 (blued version) with both barrels!

For more..
    http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/Articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=759

19. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

20. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I was just looking through the Ruger site and was wondering if anyone had tried the Deerfield or the PC4 rifles shooting 9 mm 40SW 44 magnum etc pistol rounds. They should have enough thump to tip over coyotes and still not kick too bad.