What is the best herb book?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by frontiergal, Dec 3, 2003.

1. frontiergal

frontiergal Well-Known Member

I would like to find an herbal book that not only tells you about the herb but will tell you what it can be used for and how to prepare it. I'm not asking for much :haha: Thanks,Heidi

2. Swampdweller

Swampdweller Well-Known Member

I would start with Euell Gibbons, "Stalking the healthful Herbs", and a copy of Peterson's Wild Herbs guide. That combination would give anyone a huge jumpstart into herbology.

Swampdweller

3. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Today's Herbal Health by Louise Tenney. Gives cross index with herb/illness, parts used, what it does, nutritional values, preparations/combinations. I have used it in my herbal classes for many years.

4. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

I have 4 I depend on ...

Encyclopedia of Herbs and their Uses by Deni Brown.... has wonderful pictures as well as histories about herbs.

Healing with Homeopathy by Wayne B. Jonas MD and Jennifer Jacobs MD ... this one doesnt have pictures, but does have some descripitions on how to prepare the different "medicines"

The Master book of Herbalism by Paul Beyerl - this is a good guide to uses of herbs, but again few drawings...

Magical Herbalism by Scott Cunningham - this book has taught me more about preparing the herbs for use than any of the others.

I really use all 4 all the time... and as I said on the other thread, I am always looking for more Herbals... I have dozens... right now I am looking for a Herbal that has to do with just Texas plants.

No matter how you believe (except perhaps the big bang theory) ... it seems that whoever guides life on earth, has made sure we have the plants we need to heal ourselves... its just being open and aware and LEARNING first before jumping in both feet.

Lynn in Texas

5. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I love DK's Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine. It is huge, and has just about everything you could hope to use in it. It also has a section that classifies herbs by ailment. I just got Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal. It is fabulous. She has a very holistic attitude towards care. She talks about nutrition, spirituality, and ecology in addition to herbal medicine. From a gardening standpoint, Richard Bird and Jessica Houdret's Kitchen and Herb Gardener (published by Lorenz) is really good. The Herb Quarterly magazine is also great, and keeps me up to date on new studies. I recently started my own herbal (for personal use). When I find something that works for me, I write it down in a pretty journal. I include its medicinal and magical uses and preperations, when it is in season, and where I found it (if it was not from my garden). It's been a lot of fun, and a learning experience.

6. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Copyright 1987:

Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs

Each herb has a: description of how it grows and looks in the field;
    Flowering, range, habitat

ALSO, each herb is either sketched or photographed somewhere in the bookand has the following info on each:.

History
    Uses: Medicianal, Culinary, Ornamental, Companion Plants
    Cultivation; Growing Conditions

There are additional chapters on JUST using herbs for
    Cooking, Companion Planting, Crafts, Dyes, Gardening, Growing, Healing

That should keep you busy??? :):) If using for aromatherapy/healing, you might want something more in depth as to THAT use in particular. My favorite for that: Aromatherapy: A Lifetime Guide To Healing With Essential Oils by Valerie Gennari Cooksley.

Happy Herb"ing"

7. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

I know, I know!!!

However, it's unpublished. Why don't you send culpeper (note: single "p") a PM, and ask her if she knows who has the best herbal. Tell her I told you to ask her. Might get her off her duff. She SHOULD find a way to get the thing printed - somehow, anyhow. Not easy, I know, but she just SHOULD!

8. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what Don is referring to, but there was an old English herbalist called Culpeper. What DID you mean, Don?

Check out James Duke's work called "The Green Pharmacy" now in paperback for easy instructions. For more complex descriptions, try David Hoffman's "New Holistic Herbal". Both are more science-oriented.

I find Scott Cunningham's books entertaining but with little science background for those interested. Certainly, they are perfect choices for pagans or earth religion practitioners.

9. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Well-Known Member

The Rodale Herb Book copyright 1974 is one of the best I have seen. Rodale publishing is so ahead of their time with a lot of homesteading books. I bought mine at a used book store, but I am sure you can find it on amazon.

10. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

We have a member who takes her user name from Culpeper's Herbal. She knows a great deal about herbs, answers a lot of questions on them here. I've seen a bit of her books, and they SHOULD be published. If only she could find a publisher.

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

a trwo book set called "a modern herbal" by mrs.M.Grieve, publisher id Dover publications INC.
    it is very detailed and has everthing you could want to know about each listed plant, cultivation history uses chemical make up doseage preperation ect.
    it really good.. my set is almost worn out...

12. Grizz

Grizz Well-Known Member

Back to eden by jethro kloss i think is the best