What is the best gift you ever got at Christmas ?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by COUNTRY WISHES, Nov 30, 2006.

1. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

I was inspired by the other Christmas Gift thread to start this.

What is the best gift you ever got at Christmas time?

For me it I have two things. The first one was my youngest brother. He was born a week before Christmas and came home Christmas Eve in a little red and white suit. He was a big baby over 10 lbs and I was 11 that year. I really enjoyed helping take care of him and count him among my best friends today.

My other great gift was to become formally engaged at Christmas. Dh and I talked about doing it and had ordered the rings in November but we did not announce nor did I wear my engagement ring until Christmas Eve.

2. hmsteader71

hmsteader71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Last Christmas, the Lord allowed our mother to be here with us. She passed away just 3 months later. I am so thankful we had her with us for the holidays.
    I would say anything that my husband or kids gets me. I would rather have something small or handmade.

3. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

My best Christmas present ever was when I was thirteen and got my first horse, Royal. :hobbyhors He was my best friend for five years.

4. COUNTRY WISHES

So sorry for your loss.

5. COUNTRY WISHES

A horse is definately an awesome gift.

6. jessin

jessin Well-Known Member

Last year my mom and dad got me a Grace quilting company foldable,tiltable quilting frame.My mom and I had wanted one for years but they were to expensive untill she happened onto a discount website that sold them for half the price. I was so excited when I opened it.

7. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

My Dh bought me a family ring last year. It has all of our birthstones in it. It even has his daughter's birthstone. She's in heaven playing with the angels now.

8. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

I don't remember if it was my birthday or Christmas, but DH got me a good quality sleeping bag. I LOVE camping and the outdoors and had always wanted a good bag.

Every time I snuggle down in that bag it's like he's giving me a hug. I love it.

9. Billie in MO

Billie in MO Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was 13, it was having my father home from the hospital, just for the day. He had been injured in an accident on 2 Nov and spent the next 3 months in the hospital. He was allowed out on Thanksgiving for just a few hours(went to my grandmother's since she was only a few miles from the hospital). Our house for Christmas day and finally came home at the end of January, right before my birthday, Best birthday, too.

2001---being home for my granddaughter's 1st Christmas, not knowing that it would be the last Christmas I would spend with my mom and grandfather. They both died less than 4 months apart.

10. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

There are 2 that stand out. When I was 10 I got a piano and the second was a positive pregnancy test with my youngest DD. :baby04:

11. COUNTRY WISHES

Everyone has such nice responses. It is good to see that what is the most valued is not neccessarily the highest monetary value. :)

12. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

My Mother gave us a check that we used to buy a number of used cookbooks from Amazon.com. We went from having a few to having quite a rich feeling library that spans most of what I'd ever want to cook. They fill several shelves on a bookcase in the living room right next to my favorite reading chair. I browse them most days and get all sorts of cooking flavor and technique ideas - even though I rarely follow actual recipes. :)

They more than make up for that much wished for Easy Bake Oven I mention in the other thread.

Lynda

13. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

In 1971, my wife got me a garage door opener. For 33 years it opened and closed our old wooden 16 foot garage door. It isn't worn out yet, but I had to put up a new door, so also put a new opener on it. That saved me a humongous number of oppenings, and closings of that door by hand.

14. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

My husband bought me a troybuilt tiller about 6 yrs ago :) I am kind of fond of the three stone diamond pendant I got last year too.

15. HomesteadBaker

HomesteadBaker Working toward the dream

Every year I get a pair of fleece lined moccasin slippers, which is almost always my only request.

This year, I will get a wonderful gift .... this year is Wilhelm and my first Christmas together! :) Christmas at Paradise Canyon Ranch..... wow.

16. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

Some of my best gifts came from our children. They are still "our much loved children". They made Christmas Tree Ornaments in Pre-Sunday School. A little foil; a little bell; a piece of pipe cleaner; part of a egg box and some are paper cut-outs of a Tree and are colored with crayon. All are made with so much love as to make a parent humble.

I still put them on the Christmas Tree. I will till I can not do it anymore. The "boys" ask me, "Why do you still do this"? I answer, "Because you made it and I still can". Our youngest is 33 this coming March.

What they made isn't important. Why it was made and how it was given with so much love is why they are still on the tree. This old man can trim the tree with moist eyes and smile and be very thankful.

17. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

When I was 11, we moved back to Ohio from Calif. My dad wasn't working (work always gets in the way for a drunk) and mom had a hard time finding anything either. Finally she got a seasonal job at a dept. store and tried to save enough to buy presents for us. You know the story, car broke down, water heater went out, so on the day before Christmas eve she had nothing. She told a co-worker about her problem, and it was suggested she open a charge acct. On Christmas Day when we looked to see what santa brought, there were two brand new top of the line bicycles with streamers and bells and big white wall tires. That was one of my most memorable christmas's

18. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Member

A memory.

One Christmas Morning, my younger daughter woke up, went into the Living Room, and woke up all of us while she was running back to her and my older daughters bedroom, yelling at the top of her lungs "YOU GOT YOUR BICYCLE, YOU GOT YOUR BICYCLE".

If I had to pick the the best of the best, that would be it.

19. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

My hubby. :)
    Anniversary is December 23rd, so it counts, right?

20. mom2girls

mom2girls mom2girls

we spend very little on fany food. every year my dad gets our family a chistmas sausage basket, it has sausages, cheese, fancy crakers and mustards. it is heaven. this year dad asked if we would like something else, no way!