What is the best firearm for…..

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cabin Fever, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Am I the only one or do others of you get a little concern when a person asks, “What is the best firearm for (you fill in the blank)?” It’s kinda like a 14yo asking what is the best vehicle I should buy? It seems to me that if a person has to ask what is the best firearm for a particular purpose, it is likely he or she is a novice and isn’t quite ready for any kind of firearm purchase yet. Rather than suggesting a particular type, model and caliber of firearm, perhaps the best advice we could give the questioner is to take a gun safety course and seek out friends and/or an organization where he or she could actually handle and shoot all styles of firearms. By doing such, he or she could make an informed decision on their own. Besides, it seems that when one of our forum members asks a firearm question, he gets opinions ranging from .22 single shots to elephant guns and everything in between.

2. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

LOL I agree whole heartedly with ya on this one.

3. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

My first instinct was to agree, then I thought about this board in general and the same would apply to most things covered: What kind of vegatable, what kind of chicken, what kind of cattle.... Maybe the best thing is to educate new folks AND suggest a firearms class before purchase. I'm still mulling it over though. Picking the wrong kind of turnip or the wrong style of pruner isn't very likely to get somebody hurt or killed.

4. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

guess I always assumed, oooops, that anyone would take classes or get practice before walking around with a weapon on theur hip.
    you are right! take a class get some practice and then you don't really need to ask the question.

5. mmbawden

mmbawden Member

Hey cabin fever my answer to that is a 50 cal gatlin gun. They just look back with the same dumb stare we all love.

6. I agree with you also. I've gotten to where I don't even try to answer that question anymore. Everyone has their own opinion that's far worthy then yours. Not to mention that here in about another 3 weeks someone will ask the same question again. Here we go again!!!! :duel:

7. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I just can't decide!

(is there a class for this?)

8. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Might be a good place for one of those sticky do dads. Break it down for folks and leave it at that.

9. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

well a gun class proably wouldnt hurt would it? But Thats not the question that they ask.I figger that anyone that would seek advice on slection would seek advice on use.
    To be honest the unique circumstances of homesteading are not a thing that is coverd in gun classes .

10. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Good point.

11. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ok, I will be the red-headed step-child in this discussion...

I think it is a very legitimate question depending on how it's framed. To me I see ignorance in someone assuming that a safety class is going to provide all the answers that I might have for a gun. I would hazard that I have shot more rounds in more calibers than 90% of the folks on this board, but I still ask questions, for example, I had a post on pro's and cons of the sks, fal, and the ar-15.

Should I have attended a class for that? I mean, I have been through multiple hunters safety courses, took general firearm safety in some scouting programs, was taught by my daddy, currently beginning by ccw permit, does that mean I own and know every gun? Nope.

When I ask a question I want real world experience, which of course because we are on a public forum means you have to wade through the .22 to "elephant gun" (which caliber is that?), but I think there are some very wise posters who have helped me out quite a bit. Of course if I am going to ask firearms question I go to the Self-reliance board because it eliminates MOST of that crazy talk. I appreciated the info I got from Comfortably Numb on what to look for in an sks, never had one before, but now I do. So I have experience in that particular gun and can give my advice now to those who may ask.

Of course I suppose we all have questions that get under our skin, like almost any question or debate on SSS...

All right, beat me like the red-headed step child I am!

12. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

I guess there must be two of us then, I totally agree with you zyl, I was asked not long ago "What kind of gun should I buy?" I must have looked blank, trying to figure out where to start, when they said "For a handgun safety course." Oh, then I recommed a gun and that was that. Some times you have to wade thru alot before getting the right info to make a recommendation and sometimes not. Give them a break.

13. country_wife

country_wife Evil Poptart

Having just asked a similar question in another thread, I have to respond to this..

Assuming that someone asks what firearm is best means that they aren't ready for one is unfair. True, many people don't know anything about firearms and may be looking for an easy answer. I can only speak for myself and why I asked the question about what firearms people prefer to carry on the farm. I am simply looking for opinions, and maybe someone will come up with something I had not thought of yet.

As for being a novice, I will admit to being a novice farmer/homesteader; and as such think the opinion of other famers/homesteaders may hold some wisdom gleaned from experience.

Yes, I am, in response to my post, getting "opinions ranging from .22 single shots to elephant guns and everything in between" but they are just that, opinions, and I am intelligent enough to weed out the ones that come from people that have obviously never fired a weapon.

I am not a novice with firearms, but I have certainly not fired every weapon available. By asking for an opinion on this forum, and then following that up with some research, I can narrow down the weapons I would like to test for my own purpose, and then make an informed decision.

14. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've always kid of assumed (there's that word again) that someone would get the requisite training or had already received the training they needed.

And as much as we would like to make out that they require some advanced degree in operations and theory, firearms aren't the most complicated devices in the world. If you practice the 4 basic rules of firearms safety and read the instruction that come with your weapon anyone who isn't wearing helmet and riding the shortbus to school should be able to safely operate a weapon without hurting themselves or any unintended targets. With a modest amount of research you should be able to figure out what you need to buy too.

We certainly do get wide range of responses when it comes to "which should I buy" or "which is best for" questions. Some are well thought out and reasoned. Some...not so much. Like all techie types the gunnies tend to geek out a bit when discussing subjects like that. Of course gunnies probably don't lie any more than other techies except other techies lie about mythical hacking and overclocking and gunnies lie about mythical 300 yard handgun shots and shooting deer in the eyes at 700 yards with their uber sniper rifles.

15. AnEarthMonkey

AnEarthMonkey Member

good point

16. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

In a way, I agree, but I see it as maybe a person that just needs to know what type gun to do a specific job with.
    I have grown up around all types of guns, but if I were to go after a moose, I'd ask what I need to use. In Alabama, we have very few moose.
    Cabin, yes, a person needs some schoolin in guns and their use. A 250# man will be able to handle a larger frame gun than a 95# woman .... in most cases. A person wanting a gun to protect themselves will need a different gun that a person who wants to kill a bear ... or maybe not ....
    Anyway, I like to read most of the gun information and I generally like the suggestions. In the end though ... it's just someones opinion.
    A gun, like a tractor, is a tool and some folks just don't have as much experience as others with tools.
    However, just like a tractor .... a gun user needs some training before being turned loose with it.

17. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

"Can I get me a huntin' license here"?