Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past week, because of the heat, dh and I have been taking boxes over to the homestead in preparation for moving. There are several spots along the way when we drive through the most wonderful fragrance. It is obviously a night-flowering plant of some kind.

The frangrance is very thick and heady and sweet. It smells a tad like Honeysuckle-mixed-with-Jasmine (If I had to try to describe it). It is STRONG, man.

We are in the Missouri Ozarks SWMO. I notice that the smell seems to come from areas which are wooded rather than brushy or open. There does not seem to be water, such as a pond or stream nearby.

Can anybody offer a guess as to what kind of plant this could be? I would do anything to be able to actually PLANT some at the homestead. And NO, I can't go investigate and try to find it. First of all it is private property, (complete with barbed wire fence), and I am told the copperheads are bad this year, and I have already seen two on the road at night driving home. No way am I going to go trapsing through the high grass and woods in the middle of the night).

Somebody? anybody? I have to know......... :Bawling:

donsgal

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Night blooming Jasmine?? Im not good with flowers or plants but one time I smelled what you are describing and that was my friends answer.
But isn't it nice to be out in the country where you can smell these things and not car exhaust??? :) LOL
God Bless,
Michele

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Probably honeysuckle, its blooming, very fragrant, and spreads everywhere..

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I would think it's honeysuckle and night blooming jasmine. I have them both on my property and boy do they smell good. My little neice calls the jasmine, perfume flowers. :baby04:
P.S. I was also expecting it to be an unpleasant odor by your title. :)

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
MicheleMomof4 said:
But isn't it nice to be out in the country where you can smell these things and not car exhaust??? :) LOL
We lived in the city about 8 years ago, just outside city limits actually. Once I was taking a walk pushing a baby stroller, in the evening, and caught the most wonderful aroma. Floral and sweet. I sniffed, inhaled deeply, tried to pinpoint what wonderful flower it was coming from so I could plant one of my own. Sniff...sniff...finally I found the source: My neighbor's dryer vent. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts