What is ONE electric thing you can't live without?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by largentdepoche, Jan 12, 2007.

1. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Mine is the internet (and the computer that goes with it LOL!). I use it for everything just about, keeping in touch with my folks-recipes-forums, you name it.

I was just thinking about this throwing my clothes into the wash. I remember not having a washing machine and it wasn't such a biggie, and I wash our dishes by hand so that's not a big thing either. They are nice to have but not a neccessity.

Kat

2. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

Refrigerator/Freezer. Can't do without! The rest can go as far as I'm concerned.

I'm on the computer at work so much anyway.

3. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

there is too much that i can't manage without right now. this requires some serious thought on my part.

4. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Following hurricane Katrina, it was the refrigerator I missed the most. I cook with propane. We used candles and oil lamps. Until we were able to buy a generator, living without ice, milk, eggs, margarine, etc. was very hard.

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

There is nothing electric that I can't live without. There are several things that I'd rather not live without. But can't?

6. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

Refridgerator. Gotta have it!! Warm milk BLECH PTOOEY AAAHHH!!! :grump:

7. diamonds

diamonds Well-Known Member

Hard chioce.....It is between the internet and fridge :)

8. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

9. Farmerwilly2

Farmerwilly2 Well-Known Member

Our electric meter. Wish I could but the alternatives are out of our price range right now.

10. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

When we moved to our property, we bought a cruddy old singlewide, 27 years old. NO electricity on the property until we dug the trench ourselves, and could afford it. 18 months we lived without electricity. I missed ICE CUBES the most and still consider them a modern miracle!

Pat

11. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Like Meg, I don't NEED any of the electric toys.

Which one would I miss the most?

My 'puter for sure. :)

Pony!

12. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Hmmm, can't really think of anything - we lived without power for quite a while (and even longer with limited power) while we were building here... I think EVERYONE should learn to live this way for a short time in their lives - it sure made us appreciate the "easier ways of modern life" more!

13. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

TV, can opener, microwave, fencer, mixer… oh you said one thing:)

Hmmm... read the post wrong - these are electric things that I can live without.

14. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Have a propane fridge, and older model without a 12V control panel.

Not sure if this counts, but I got one of those hand crank lights for christmas, has a FM radio AND an adapter to charge my phone. I have internet on my phone.

Due to various storms, we have been without power for over three weeks this year. It's been inconvenient at times, but there's been nothing we "needed". We're pretty well set up.

15. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

I really don't need anything electric. If I had to keep just one I would choose my CD player. We really enjoy our music.

16. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

I think I'd give up my well pump LAST. I'd miss the computer for sure. And the fridge and freezer make life pretty good.

I'd hate to do without fans and a/c, but it could be done.

But running water is pretty important to me...

17. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

I didn't realize how much I missed my microwave until it went out before Thanksgiving. I told my husband as long as we have electricity I want my microwave. Being without a fridge. would be incovient, but we have one that will run off 12 volts. Also have one in the camper that will run on propane. But I really missed the microwave.

18. chickenmommy

chickenmommy nosey, but disinterested Supporter

I did two years without power. I missed hot water the most. I guess I should say I missed turning on the tap and getting hot water. Boiling on the wood stove took forever for a bath.

19. KCM

KCM Well-Known Member

Water can be drawn from a well with a picture pump. Propane refridgerator is an option. Oil lamps for light. Propane or Kerosene for Heat. Wind up radios are common. Can rig up generator to stationary bicycle for TV if wanted to. Several options available to cook food.

I can't think of anything I'd have to give up if there were no electricity. Might have to alter lifestyle a bit, but wouldn't have to give up a thing.

20. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was younger we lived without Electric for Quite A while we just bought Ice by the 50# block for the icebox .That would last about 4 days. So there really is NO electric appliances I need. After all I have A working kerosene incubator and A brooder too.