What is JDM and how can it help you?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Janon, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

JDM = Japanese Domestic Market

Some background :
    - North Americans, on avg., drive their vehicles great distances each year, 15k miles/year
    - a ten year old North American vehicle may have 150k miles on it
    - the Japanese drive their vehicles very short distances/year, 2k miles/year
    - a ten year old Japanese vehicle may only have only 20k miles on it

There are now many importers of "JDM" engines and transmissions. Most of these engines are "cut outs". i.e. they just cut the entire engine out of the Japanese car, almost everything is still attached.

If you have a worn-out Honda Civic or whatever Japanese vehicle... or want to build a Geo/Suzuki Metro with a "like new" engine/transmission for about 1/4 of the price of a rebuild, JDM engines/transmission may be for you.

For example: My Geo Metro - transmission $120us + shipping - complete engine $300us + shipping.

cheers,

2. wendle

wendle Well-Known Member

Janon,
    I bought a JDM long block d16b engine off ebay from a guy in Chicago for about 350.00, great service and delivered for about a hundred dollars. It was a used Japanese engine less than sixty thousand miles with a 6 month warranty. I put it in my civic last easter. It runs great doesn't leak any oil, and the oil always looks nice when I change it. Couldn't be happier, and couldn't get as good of a deal if I rebuilt it, don't know what the cost of other types of engines would be. I would get one again from there for sure.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Every once and a while a very interesting and helpful thread comes along that just begs to be stuck to the top of the forum for a while. I think this one merits hanging around. Thanks Janon!

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Been there,done that.Excellent engines.

BooBoo

5. djb473

djb473 Well-Known Member

any web sites

6. wendle

wendle Well-Known Member

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

The automotive 'Recycler' series of magazines,you can get them out here at 7-11,stopNgo places.Lots of full page ads.I ran my old Mazda B-1600 truck engine all the way up to a 2.2 liter if I recall.They come with carbs,alternator,exhaust manifold,pumps,the whole shebang.The outfit I bought from also sprayed them with like an acrylic sealer too,no leaks at all.Great engines!

Whole truck just finally disintegrated from old age or I would be driving it still.

BooBoo

8. jefferson

jefferson fuzzball in the Cascades

been there done that too. Can be a great way to save a buck and get your car running again. But I just can't find one for my MBZ. Guess the Germans melt them down

9. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

Heck we import the whole car into this country! 5 year old Japanese top spec vehicles in practically as new condition for a fraction of the price of a new model.

10. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Sure would like to get my hands on a nice Nissan diesel.

11. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

Janon, could you tell me where to get the engines you are talking about? I need a 3 Cyl. Geo/Metro engine for an ultra light airplane but I can't find a good one with everything on it. I have searched the net, I thought from top to bottom. Anyone else know where they are?