What is it?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Shagbarkmtcatle, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

I live at Harpers Ferry Wv but on the Md side. We are in the mountains with the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers at the foot. Mostly during March - May, I wake up at night to hear something screaming, it does not sound like a woman screaming or a baby crying but a weird echoing scream, going thru the upper part of the mountain.
    It has walked down the road crying and even came into our front yard to chase our cat. The cat had a bell on his collar and you could hear him running for the house. I let the poor thing in, he was plastered up against the garage door, while dh let our rottweiler out. She chased the thing back up to the road, she is trained not to leave our property. The thing ran across the road and screamed again. We found footprints in the garden the next day and they looked like a cats prints but bigger.
    I didn't hear it scream at all this spring. But the day before one of the hurricanes hit us in September, I heard it crying at 4:00 in the afternoon. Then my son saw a bobcat on the road 3 days later running up the mountain. Does this sound like it could be a bobcat or coyote or something else. We have had coyotes in our yard in broad daylight. Also some have been run over on the road here too. We took pictures of them.
    My neighbor says he had old deer roasts out in his yard defrosting one day and he saw 3 mountain lions come and take the roasts. The game warden took pictures of the prints but won't say what they are . " Just some kind of cat" was the only answer he got. Anyone have any ideas ?

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like some kind of cat! Probably mountain lion or bobcat considering both have been spotted in the area.

By the way, I love Harpers Ferry! I used to live in northern VA and the kids and I went to Harpers Ferry every chance we got.

3. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Cougars sound like that. Probably what it is if they are known to be in the area.

4. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

I'd bet it was a bobcat, they have a scream that'd stand the hair up on a bowling ball.

5. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a hyena spotted in Maryland !?

6. groovy mike

groovy mike Member

Both cougars and bobcats can sound like people and both will eat a cat. bobcat would probably run from a rotty - not sure if a couger would.

7. Hurricane Kurt

Hurricane Kurt Well-Known Member

OOOooohhh that sounds like the Mothman!!! :)

Seriously though I thought bobcat as soon as I read your description of the scream. While fishing on the NC outerbanks one night me and my bud heard the same type of screaming/wailing you describe at about 2am. At sunrise we found large cat tracks about 100 yrds away in the dunes, a ranger confirmed that it was a bobcat. The next night we left the remains of dinner (a 5lb bluefish) in the dunes where we saw the tracks and never heard it.

Kurt

8. CarlaWVgal

CarlaWVgal Well-Known Member

I'd say bobcat too. They can sound just like a woman screaming, gives me chills every time I hear one. When I lived in Berkeley county we had tracks in our yard all the time. I haven't seen one here (yet) but I hear them often enough.

Carla

9. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

Thank y'all for all of your replys. We have tried to shine a light on it but to no avail. Maybe someday.
    Carla, I have 2 sisters in Berkley co. In Martinsburg. And my parents and 1 brother live in Shepherdstown. Our farm is in Pendleton Co so it's 3 hours away from where we live in Md. The neighbor that said he saw the mountain lion has been know to be juiced at 10:00 am so I don't know if he's believeable or not LOL