What is it?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ravenlost, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We have some shrubs at the pasture/wood line that are very tall and bushy. In the Spring they have masses of white blooms and now they have clusters of pale green berries on red stems that are turning a pale blue color as they ripen. The berries are very soft and have a "green" smell to them.

Anyone know what it is?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

What do they taste like? Do the clusters of berries have a multitude of small berries? Do elderberries grow in Ole Miss?

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Google "elderberry" and you should find a pic that will help determine if they are (or are not) elderberries.

If they are, :D . I've got elderberries, too, but am planting some more next year up close to the house. LOVE elderberry --- it's very good for you, too. I'm making elderberry extract right now --- got it bottled up, I shake it a few times a day and it should be ready in another 4-5 weeks, just in time for winter. :)

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Sounds like elderberry to me, too.

taken from Rodale's Growing and Using Healing Herbs , page 132:

The elder was a favorite remedy of European gypsies, and in fact, the plant was so widely used in Europe that it earned the epithet "the medicine chest of the country people.'

It's wood has been used in Russia, Bohemia, and Sicily to drive off evil spirits and harmful creatures. In England, the tree was cultivated as a protection against witches.

:) My wife is from Romania and according to their customs, you must bury a loved one with a bottle of elderberry wine and since their spirit doesn't depart until six weeks after they've died, you must keep a glass of elderberry wine on the dinner table for them for the entire six weeks in case they should get thirsty.

5. Ravenlost

LOL...it's not elderberry. I know what elderberries are...made jelly again this year! These berries are in much smaller clusters...maybe 25-30 to a cluster and very PALE blue...baby blue, not deep purple blue like elderberries. They are turning from pale green to pale blue with no inbetween color.

I'll try to post a photo in a day or so.

6. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

My next guess is, naw, you probably already know it's not poke salad.

Boil it twice in salt water, drain it well and scramble it with eggs. Homemade biscuits, sweet butter and blackberry jelly.

7. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe its huckleberry? Do you know those? Sorry I couldn't find a pic to post. :(

8. Ravenlost

No, it isn't Poke Salad or Huckleberry. I know those two. And it isn't the plant in the links. The berries are round and PALE blue when ripe. PALE green before ripening. The leaves aren't shiny and the stems are red. I've got to take a photo and post it.

9. Ravenlost

I think I found it! It may be a type of chokeberry. This photo looks very much like it and the info I found said it will grow in damp places (our woods are very low and marshy much of the year). Maybe the berries on mine haven't completely ripened yet:

[​IMG]

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Well I'd sure rather have choke cherry than privitt! Choke cherry makes much better jam!

11. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Well that's just great.

Now I have to stop everything and go make some biscuits.

:p

12. Ravenlost

I hate privitt hedge...chokes me to death in the Spring when they're blooming.

13. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

What flavor jelly do you have?