What is it?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by BamaNana, Dec 3, 2006.

1. BamaNana

BamaNana Well-Known Member Supporter

A few hours ago I noticed this huge “bubble” thing on my leg. I don’t know how to explain it, but it looks like when you baste a turkey and you stick the baster under the skin, then insert the juices between the skin and meat. It bulges the skin a bit and the juice jiggles when you lightly touch it. That how my left leg is. Just a bit to the left of the shin and a few inches above the ankle. The “bubble” is about 5” x 4” and when I lightly shake my lower leg it jiggles a lot. I have not had any problems with water retension since menopause but when I did, I never had anything like this. I took a couple of asprins because, well, I felt I should “do” something. :shrug:

What could this thing be?

I have insurance, but the co-pay for an emergency visit is
    extremely high. Is this something that I should worry about now or would waiting until tomorrow be ok.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    This could be a hemotoma (sp), a gathering of blood under the skin, was there any injury recently? Watch for better medical opinion very soon here, this could be very dangerous.

3. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

It could be many things. have you noticed any stiffness or discomfort along with this swelling. My father had a cist (sist) come up on his ankle and he never noticed it untill we went swimming one day. The thing was as large as a gulf ball. it moved around when he touched it. We found out that he had broke his ankle (unbeknown to him as he had trouble with arthritis anyway) and a bone sliver had come lose. The body kind of does the same thing a clam does with a peice of grit. It starts putting fluid around the sliver in order to cushion it. The cist had to be surgically removed, and his ankle re-broken and set. Not saying you have a broken leg, but a bump could have cracked a sliver off at some point. there are other things that it could be as well...even as dangerous as a clot. I'd deffinately get it checked out.

4. BamaNana

No injuries, no pain, no nothing except I do know it is some kind of fluid from the way it jiggles. When I poke at it, it actually ripples in sort of a "wavey" action. When I walk it slaushes. I take no medications. Have no history of high blood pressure or anything. I am over weight, but have been healthy as a horse for 53 years.
    :help:

5. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

hmm sounds like some kind of water retention or a blister.. does the fluid look clear? I don't know if it was blood color i don't think i would mess around to much.. or if it pops is it that thin? you have to worry about infections.
    strange that it came on quickly. Is it red? could it be gout? I don't know i'm not a doctor.. just throwing some stuff out there.. good luck maybe tomorrow it will be gone, and you will wondering what the heck it was. :shrug:

6. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Please think About going to A Doctor A S A P.

7. BamaNana

No, it's not thin at all and you can not see through it. It doesn't resemble a blister. More like water retention but in an oblong area of approx 5" x 4".

My initial concern was if this thing was serious enough to go to the ER. But it's been there for about 6-7 hours and nothing else seems wrong.... I'll call my doctor first thing in the morning.

8. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually best advice: call your doctor's answering service now and ask them for advice from the doctor (yours or the one on call for yours) tonight.

DISclaimer: don't sue me for medical advice, and no guarantee it is worth more than you pay for it: sounds like localised edema (water retention); from an infection is common cause.

You should see a Dr soon- tomorrow please- but maybe even tonight if you have fever or redness spreading around it or streaking up your leg (could be very dangerous blood infection requiring antibiotics quickly) or diabetes or other chronic disease. Please do not pop/unroof it at home where you might be less clean/sterile than at ER or Dr's office. Will your Dr get you in same day or make you meet him at ER and pay that fee anyway? THis might help decide if any savings from waiting until tomorrow.

9. BamaNana

Thank you Jenn for your advice! I have no fever or redness. I called my DR and am waiting for a call back.

10. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

Probably best to see a doc.

Have you ever had a similar 'bump'? Guess not or you would've said so. I've had these on the top of my hand, they're cysts of fat deposits, easiest way to explain 'em. Had someone take a book & swat it & it disappeared.

If you find out what it is, next time you'll know what to do. (duh-what great advice!)

Anyway, let us know!

Patty

11. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

If (that is a big "If"-I am not a doc.) I am understanding you correctly, I had a friend who had something similar. They did treat it pretty seriously. It was an anaerobic bacterial infection. They had to expose it to the air to kill the bac, and they used a pic line to drain it, and also antibiotics. She said it sounded sort of "squishy" when she moved it. She said she had no symptoms at all except the "bubble" that was growing.

I could be VERY WRONG, so don't worry, but it is worth a phone call to the doc.

Cindyc.

12. AR Cattails

AR Cattails Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a squishy bump that came up on my leg several years ago. I went to the doctor and after some questions it was determined that it came up after an injury to my leg and doctor said there was nothing to worry about. He said he could drain it but that the fluid would just come right back again and if it doesn't bother me, then just leave it alone. So I decided to do just that and it's still there after all these years.

It doesn't sound at all like what you have though. I can't wait to hear what that could be. I hope it's nothing serious but agree that the doctor should check it out.

13. mellba

mellba Well-Known Member Supporter

BamaNana did you go to the doctor? I hope the bump is better today.

14. BamaNana

Well, still don't know what it is. The DR never called me last night, but his nurse called me this morning and said that it didn't sound serious and made an appointment for me to go in tomorrow afternoon.
    Thanks everyone for your concern, I'll let ya'll know what it is as soon as I get back.

15. mellba

mellba Well-Known Member Supporter

BamaNana, we never heard about the place on your leg. Hope all is well.

16. olehippy

olehippy Well-Known Member

Bumping because I'm curious.

olehippy

17. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a similar area after a car wreck....area actually sloshed when I walked. ER doc said it would recede on its ow but you know,the swollen area is still noticable after 12 years! At least no more sloshing! They took xrays and no underlying problems found. Always say if not for all that goats milk I'd have broken my leg! As a nurse I'd tell anyone with such an area and no rememberance of hitting it to call their doc. If it was a hematoma it would generally be dark,discolored,bruised appearing...would slowly resolve and probably no problem unless you were on blood thinners. Did you ever see doctor??? DEE