What IS it with pig farmers?!?!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by snoozy, May 15, 2004.

1. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I am having the hardest time getting ahold of weaner pigs. The Durocs crosses I had all lined up a month or more ago all went to 4H-ers, and about the next litter she most irritatedly said I"LL call you -- which means: not likely. People advertizing weaners & BBQ hogs actually haven't got any weaners. Then I get a bead on Hampshire crosses, have a great talk on the phone with the guy. I call him back the next day and leave a message to say we'll pick 'em up next Saturday (that's today) around 2pm, if not OK just let me know. I get no call, so I assume it's OK. Then I call today, and he says we're leaving for 14 days. At noon. Oh. (His farm is almost 2 hours away.) I said, so, shall I come and pick them up in 14 days? No that's too long to hang on to them. (Well, now if you're going away for two weeks, and no one's going to be around to hand 'em over to me, then why is it going to be too long to hang on to them?...)

I have been just as nice as pie, not rude or demanding or anything -- how can I be during this apparently region-wide shortage of weaners?

I think I've been blacklisted in the Pigistan.

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Found the same kinds of things, people in general cant be counted on. That's why years ago I decided to have my own breeders, do my own butchering etc. That's one of the reasons I have smaller stock (potbellies).

3. mtfarmchick

mtfarmchick Well-Known Member

I seemed to have the same problem. I finally found someone that will sell me 7 pigs. I'm picking them up tomorrow. Have you tried all of your local butchers or vertrinarians? That's how I found mine.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

how far are you willing to travel?? are you planning on breeding hogs later, would seem a good idea by the lack of feeders for sale? are you set on a particular breed/type? try the agriculture paper put out by your state, they might list pigs for sale. also check the livestock auctions and put up a reserve bid on the type you want that might be the way to go.

5. cashcrop

cashcrop Well-Known Member

Snoozy,

Sorry for your inconvience!! I am having trouble myself locating weaned pigs! I finally found some that will be available around June 12th. I had called our local livestock hauler as the neighbor who lives just down the road just picked some weaners up a month ago refered me to him(neighbor said "Nobody around here will sell you one!!"). The livestock haulers kids are in 4h, too. Therefore, he had a better chance of finding somebody with some for sale. Somebody suggested I raise my own farrowing sow. I've decided after all this I want to raise 10 -12 hamp sows(I live in Northern Wisconsin and will have them in a 3 sided shed) sell some for breeding, sell some for feeding out and/or trade for dairy bull calves then whatevers left over off to the auction barn they go!!!

Katie

6. Hi all. I have 24 baby pigs that were born on 4-16-04. We will be selling them as weaned pigs here shortly. This is our first time raising pigs to sell. If you don't mind me askin, what are you payin for those weaned pigs and how old or big are they?. What are the 4h'ers payin for them?
    IF any body want's to drive to southern missouri I will sell them a weaner.
    Thanks
    Travis

7. snoozy

4/16 is my birthday! If only I were going to be passing by MO! The weaners I was supposed to pick up today were $50. In our county, $65 seems to be standard. 5-6 weeks old. Even the guy who works at the feed store is having a friend bring some up from Oregon, they're so scarce.

I've been thinkin' about the weaner biz myself, but I don't think I want to mess with it -- specially the castrating part. Still, if you can get 2.5 litters a year, and if you can get the large litters of a Landrace sow -- the guy I was going to be buying from said he gets 15-17 per litter -- then you're looking at a gross income of say, 37 weaners x $65...that's $2400 per sow per year (approx). Minus costs and food. Shoot, charge $100 -- supply & demand rules the capitalist marketplace, right?

James, I really wanted Durocs, but was willing to settle for Hamps or Berks. Our ag paper lists only swine in Oregon...nobody in WA. (No need to advertize, I guess, since buyers are already standing in line.) I may have to resort to the auctions.

8. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Snoozy
    If that breeder says he is averaging 15-17 per litter I would not buy anything from him :no: If he thinks you will believe that there is no telling what he might want you to believe about the pigs :eek: If he regularly weans this many pigs he would have a standing order for breeding stock that would strech to the east coast :D
    Mr Wanda
    Mike

9. cashcrop

Travis,
    I was quoted $60 40 pounders for this time of year. The local breeder said in fall he expects to get $35 - 40 each for 40 pounders. The breeder I spoke to yesterday afternoon located in southern Wisconsin said that $40 was TOO cheap. I still figure either way I would do well economically. The breeder also said it didn't matter if they were mixed bred or not....they would still command similar or like pricing.

Katie

10. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

By contrast Snoozy I currently have 17 piglets which are not yet weaned and another pregnant sow due in two weeks. The person who originally ordered these (and did not pay in advance) left me stranded with a previous order and now I have piglets and no customer. None of my current ads have been answered. Its just one of those geographic things. No one in his right mind would want a piglet to grow out right now in south central Florida.

11. snoozy

Ha! I bet they get all squishy in the heat like water balloons...(I'm KIDDING!).

Well, such is the nature of feast or famine: location, location, location. Before the British put in the Indian Railway system, one part of India would have famine because of drought or flood, while another part would be having bumper crops. It would all even out over time, but after the railways enabled people to ship their produce and grain to the hungry regions. Then the population of India exploded -- because the natural checks were put out of balance.

12. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We are in Arkansas and paid $25.00 Ea for weaned pigglets that were three weeks old and we put them on hi pro feed cause of their young age.

We have a special diet designed by the "HOGMAN" of Protem MO. He is a good friend of mine and my mentor.

We bought them from a professional hog raiser. We get them from the same person each yr.

They are all healthy, iron shots, tails cut and castrated before we get them.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

13. snoozy

So how many piglets to a litter are typical in your experience(s)?

14. CarolinaBound

CarolinaBound Well-Known Member

Why do they have to be castrated? Aren't they going to be butchered at 6 months? Or is it four months?

CarolinaBound

15. cashcrop

I suspect the reason for castrating has to do with how not being castrated effects the herd, there growth and their meat quality. Typically most folks butcher at 6 months but, you could butcher at any age. It depends what the purpose of it is. Say a caterer wants a small pig w/ an apple in it's mouth as a center piece, maybe one wants a medium sized pig for roasting on a spit or maybe a large sized one to fill ones freezer!

16. snoozy

If one were going to keep sows to raise batches of weaner pigs to sell, castrating the male weaners (is that redundant?...) is part of the job description.

17. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

My breeer claims a similar number ... 12-15 ... some higher ... that's all I get are Landrace. $25.00 each.

18. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

OK, heres what to do, find a small breeder, ( 10 to 50 sows). Volenteer to help casterate boars, (not that hard, just rough and dirty). Tell the farmer that you would be glad to take any runts, ruptures, etc off his/her hands. You will have more pigs than you can eat. Stay tuned, I will tell you how I turned my ex wifes van into a smokehouse.

19. Butcher? haven't seen one within 2 states of here. Veterinarians? only take care of "pets". Not much help

20. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

LOL LOL LOL Cant wait to hear :haha: