What is it with clothes nowadays?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jen H, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Bit of a rant...

I have a bunch of meetings with various state agencies coming up, and a business conference in England to go to that will involve a nice dinner. So I was looking over my closet and I could really use another dress. Something plain, black or navy blue that I can coordinate with shawls or jackets. Definitely something modest, skirt below the knees, long sleeves so I can wear it year round. Nothing tight fitting or provacative.

Last weekend I went through the entire mall. Every single clothing store. I found nothing fitting the above requirements. Not one single dress that wasn't cut way too short, showing cleavage, sleeveless, tight fitting, or flashy. Unbelievable.

I found plenty of suits, but I was looking for a dress so that I could jazz it up easily for going out (just in case hubby gets nuts and takes me on a date or something).

So I left the mall and went by JoAnne's fabrics for a pattern and some nice navy blue fabric. I should have just gone there in the first place. Buying a dress just seemed convenient, but ended up being a lesson in frustration.

What do business women wear? Where do they find their clothes? I realize I'm a rural hick and all, but I don't think I'm THAT stodgy. Most of the dresses and skirts I saw I wouldn't even consider wearing to the office for work.

I'm all for expressing yourself, but there is a time and place for very conservative clothing. Am I really that out of touch?

2. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

You're ot out of touch, people's ideas of what the newest trends are are just plain stupid! I watched the Tony Danza show......that's another rant for me.....and this lady was showing off the jewelry waiting to be worn by the actors and actresses on the red carpet. This woman was so pretentious about what was supposed to be in style. It was horrible, and most of the jewelry I wouldn't touch in a million years!
    It's them that's wrong, not us!

Tony Danza rant: A talk show is a talk show is a talk show is a talk show!!!! I'm sick of them all. Who cares anymore. Oprah is still the best, but after hearing that she wasted a good few minutes of air time to get her ears pierced at AGE 50!!!!!! Come on, is there that little to talk about??? Give me a break!
    That's my rant for the morning!
    Michelle

3. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

I had a similar situation last week. I was looking for something to wear to a business meeting and most of the suits had short skirts or pants. The fabrics are too clingy and sleazy. At 45 I am not a frump, but I do not want my ta-ta's hanging out! I do think that the classic styles need a comeback. Luckily they can be found at re-sale shops and thrift stores if you have enough time to look around. Sewing is a great skill to know.
    Jodi

4. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Do you have a ladies shop in your nearby town? Of course, what you buy there may be an "investment" outfit, but, at least you'd probably find something more appropriate for business. Years ago, I had to do the same, for an award ceremony for my hubby's invention, and the shop did also have tailoring and dyed the shoes I had to buy to match. the dress was beautiful, elegant in a way, and covered all strategic areas. :haha: It wasn't a bridal shop, though that would be another idea, because they do feature "mother of the bride" clothing. or sew it yourself like you did. shame that you have to go underground to find something decent........Margo

5. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

I mostly wear pant suits and slacks/sweaters to work but I have bought a few dresses for work and I always end up at our local consignment shop. I have also purchased dresses at Belk (on sale, out-of-season clearance rack) and have found that they carry a few brands that are more 'classic' style clothes. The trouble with shopping consignment stores and clearance racks is that you if you are looking for something specific, you usually won't find it-you kind of have to look for the deals that will work for what you need.

6. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

7. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Ok... I can't stand it any more.

I spend money on clothes and gosh darn it... I'm proud of it. Yep... I'm the person buying cashmere. I'm the person the J Peterman catalog was written for. I have a budget for clothing that would rival most family's food budgets.

And you know what? Darned if you can't find fabulously cut conservatively styled clothing any day of the week...

IF you are willing to pay for them.

If you are going to insist on cheaping out, shopping at the mall, shopping at K-Mart, or Wal-Mart, whatever, then no, you are not going to be able to find what you're looking for. You have to shop high end and you have to be willing to pay for it. There is a reason Pendleton has been around forever. Geiger. Laura Ashley. They're classically cut, flawlessly tailored, beautifully constructed garments made out of natural fibers. In short, you'll sell them or pass them down long (LONG) before you've worn them out. Unless you spill coffee down the front. So sip your coffee nice like a lady.

If you can't afford to buy it new, check out ebay. Too many women buy this stuff and then never wear it because it is "too good" to be worn.

The heck with that. The object of the game is not to arrive at the end of it looking lovely... it is to slide in disheveled... but fashionable... yelling WAHOOO!

This simply can not be accomplished in polyester. Real women do not wear polyester. Real women wear wool.

(The National Sheep Breeders Association says so, so it must be true)

8. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

And I thought real women wore jeans and tee shirts. Guess I'm just a phoney. ;)

9. Big Sky Country

Big Sky Country Well-Known Member

With that in mind, do you have an outlet store near you? It would be worth a look into.

10. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Hi Jen,

Have the same problem here.

If you can, find one of the bigger Western Clothes stores, they might have some thing you want. I get my Rocky mountain jeans from there. They sometimes have the long skirts I like. And have seen nice tastefull business suits.

I love tasteful, respectful, yet elegant clothing.. you are right, it can be very hard to find.

These folks sometimes have nice clothes.
    http://www.coldwatercreek.com/home.aspx

There is also another company that makes very tasteful and elegant clothing, but I just can't remember the name right now. Sigh ~~

11. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

Its even harder to find something nice when your are a bigger size. And people who do find something nice wear it completely out so you never find anything at thrift store either. My budget won't stretch to going to specialty stores for large women or cataloge shopping

12. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I'm all for spending money on clothes that are going to hold up. Shopping at Nordstrom's, Laura Ashley, Pendleton, Coldwater Creek, etc. for me means driving to either Seattle or Vancouver. That's 2 1/2 hours with no traffic (we're talking about Seattle here, there's always horrendous traffic). Sometimes I'll make that trip, but not usually. I don't like shopping for clothes through catalogs or online - I need to feel the fabric and inspect the garment for myself.

What I have here is the mall (Macy's is the nicest shop), and a couple of bridal and teen fashion boutiques downtown. I didn't even think to look at the bridal shop - I'll keep that in mind.

ps- the fabric I made that dress from is genuine 100% silk. I sure didn't sew it myself to save money. ;)

13. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

But wool makes me sneeze!! At least colors are coming back, instead of expecting all women to dress like male funeral directors!

14. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I am totally country but do have to attend some pretty fancy dinners on occasion. My "fancy" wardrobe is from Nordstroms and L.L Bean! Fit great, wear like iron and clean very nicely.

I think you are looking in the wrong place as MorrisonCorner mentioned.

LQ

15. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

That last little number cost me $223.54 I hardly consider that wal-mart style.
    We have Macys, Womans World, Robinsons May, Lane Bryant. I see more styles that are for OLDER women. I want good fabric and am willing to pay.Just so you know that in this area they sell very casual gear, you do have to travel far and wide to get something decent.
    Jodi

16. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, I give up on these new styles. I can't believe what women are wearing to church these days. And why exactly do you want your behind to show when you bend down in low cut jeans? It took me two years to find jeans that didn't look fuddy duddy and werent' so low. I bought four pairs immediately. They were expensive.

My daughters don't even like these styles and they are the age group that is supposed to like that. We had a wedding recently and went to a big city to all the department stores and clothing stores and finally gave up. My SIL told me about an upscale consignment store and we found exactly what they liked--and these outfits were modest. But I suspect they were out of date a little.

I second coldwater creek and keep looking in consignments for better wear. Even the department store suits are using awfully cheap material these days. I may be old fashioned, but I feel a professional woman should not be dressed for the bedroom if she would like to be taken seriously in her profession. Life is not like Sex in the City.

17. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

Keep your eye on sales at the nicer department stores. Macy's will mark down different items each week at at least 40%. They also have 40% off coupons each week. Macy's should have clothes in the misses or woman (plus size) department that are modest but still cute.

18. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

19. Sparkey

Sparkey Well-Known Member