What is it? Unidentified lump

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kathy'sKID, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Kathy'sKID

Kathy'sKID Kelly in Nebraksa

About two weeks ago I noticed a lump on one of our goats. Been trying to figure out what it is? :shrug: It's on her left knee, slightly above and to the right (hers). It doesn't seam to hurt her in any way, I've felt around it and she doesn't seem to mind, doesn't have any trouble jumping up the milk stand, or down. It's not a hard lump, but soft, movable? filled with a liquid or puss? I do think it is ever so slowing growing. :help: Any ideas?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here is one if you'd like to look:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/Lomah-Farm/BethsLump.jpg

2. cdathey

cdathey Member

Could it be an abscess? We've had a strange lump before. One of my goats was attacked by a dog. One of the bites got infected. A huge lump (like your photo) appeared. I had read in one of my goat books or on the internet to stick a syringe in the lump and draw off a bit of liquid. If it looks like infection then it's an abscess and if it's blood leave it alone. Our lump was filled w/ infection. I lanced it, drained it, cleaned it really good and put her on antibiotics. Luckily we didn't need the vet on that one. Sometimes I think the vet should give out frequent flyer miles :)

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Most swelling in the knee like that is casued by stickers when the doe puts all her weight on her knee to lay down, something imbeds into the skin and causes these round type swellings. She could have also have kneeled down on a wasp.

How old is this doe, if she is older than 12 months I would test her for CAE, not because of the swelling, but because she has no knee pads, a classic symptom. Vicki

4. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Vicki, can you elaborate on the knee pad thing? Would like to know more. Thanks!

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Me, too, because my Nubians' knees look about the same, but have tested negative two years for CAE. I always thought it was just callused from kneeling.
    mary

6. Kathy'sKID

She is 2 1/2 years old, we haven't tested for CAE yet, but are planning on it ASAP. However, all our goats were purchased from CAE free herds. Not sure about the pads either? our other goats are the same, as far as I can tell. :shrug:

7. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I have never heard of the knee pad/CAE connection. If you get a moment Vicki, would love more info.

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

We had a goat with something just like that on his cheek. I finally put a scalpel in it and cleaned it out. It was really nasty. I just kept it cleaned and it healed just fine. I found a sticker in it.

9. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

I looked up the "knee pad" connection on the internet. After going through scores of references to knee and elbow pads made from goat skin
    I found a couple of articles saying that often CAE infected goats do not have the typical (hairless) calluses that goats usually have, due to the fact they do not lay down much.

THis is a real irony to me. Many years ago I purchased a few grade goats in somewhat poor condition. After discovering (again, from the internet) that goats need quality hay/supplements/minerals/BOSS, we started them on a very aggressive feeding program. The hair grew BACK on two of the three goats' knees. I kid you not! The third, a LaMancha, still has hairless calluses on her knees. Most of our current goats do not have hairless calluses on their knees, except for our old pet LaMancha. On the other hand, they are still fairly young. They should be CAE free, based on the herds we purchased them from. Their first year's testing came back Neg - though I know a single test is not very meaningful.

How do everybody else's goats' knees look????

Lynn in Mesa County, CO

10. Kathy'sKID

Ha! I tried a search but gave up much sooner in the midst of that 'knee & elbow' pad mess. :p I was looking more closely at knees today, most appeared hairless (I need to check again), some of the younger kids had hair, and I thought a few other does looked to have tougher skin over the knee. We are currently switching our grain feed, as the last was inadequate maybe that has something do with it? Anyways, I need to take a closer look at them to tell for sure.

11. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Regardless, the doe in that picture *does* have hairless knees like normal goats. The picture was taken from the side to emphasis the bump, thus making the knee pads harder to see.....but they are there if you look close. I kinda doubt the lump is from CAE.....usually the swollen knees caused by CAE make the entire knee swell. Its not small and to one side of the knee as in that picture..... :shrug: Maybe a tumor of some sort if its growing....I really don't know.
    Younger kids will have hairy knees, they haven't rubbed it off yet. :)

12. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to imply from my post that a goat with hairless knees has any kind of feed deficiency. It was just a really strange experience - it may have been the increase in oil from the BOSS that softened the skin and allowed the hair to regrow(??). My oldest NDG is only two and does not yet have callussed knees. I also bet it is more evident on the larger goats since there is more weight involved when they lie down. Our LaMancha has always had bare knees.

Lynn in Mesa County CO

13. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I guess I'll be looking at knees again tomorrow. :rolleyes:

In the past, I've noticed that the older does have callused knees. I thought that's what I saw in the picture, and still don't understand what Vicki is seeing. (?)

14. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, my guess would be the first thing Vicki suggested. A sticker or wasp sting or something else imbedded in the flesh. Anything under the skin can cause an abcess there. I had a doe who popped up with a lump on the underside of her jawbone. I waited till it was "ripe", then carefully popped and cleaned it. It was filled with the most disgusting smelling liquid and right in the middle was of all things, an oat hull. Yep, just an innocent oat hull caused all that. :rolleyes:

15. Kathy'sKID

I was doing some looking online about abscess, and there was an treatment that used an Epson salt pack, so I'm going to try that first. A few other places recommended trying to get the abscess to 'burst' naturally? (not sure about that?) And also if lancing to wait until it's 'ripened'. So, yeah, will be doing that. Thanks for all the input! :)

16. ScorpionFlower

ScorpionFlower Insanity prevails

Is CAE the same thing goats can get from sheep???