Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what medications you keep on hand for your rabbits? (and their uses)--wormer, diarrhea, pain, etc? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Rebar to cull them.

Unless they break a leg by accident or bite each other, everything else gets culled.
Wool block gets cooking oil, if that doesn't help, cull.
Ear mites, cooking oil, again, if that doesn't work, cull.
Mine never got wormed, even on the ground, no worms. But Cocci, that is a real issue and I bred for resistance. Otherwise, you guessed it, culled!

Too many people get lenient with rabbits, unlike other livestock. That just equals crappy animals for others that you sell to. Cull hard and carefully.

Breed the best, eat the rest!!

I never used anything for pain management, because if a rabbit is in so much pain to actually show it to you, that means it's on death's door. Prey animals only show pain when it's truly about to do them in. Otherwise, they hide it and hide it well.
I don't know of any safe drugs for pain management for rabbits.

·
Premium Member
25,223 Posts
There are 2 different types of rabbit breeders. One type is the strict reality type who doesn't baby their animals. Those that don't make the grade get culled and eaten. Nothing wrong with that. The other type is the fussy type who does some kind of intervening care when things go wrong. Nothing wrong with that either, you just have to realize that there are huge differences.

I am not a cull and eat person. I don't like the taste of rabbit. I do occasionally breed them to keep my herd going and might sell some as pets. My rabbits have a use, they break down my weeds and mountains of dried leaves and give me fantastic fertilizer for my garden. I keep baby oil for ear mite treatment, bag balm for wound care, infant simethicone gas drops for bloat, and baby food squash and bananas and a medicine dropper for cases when a rabbit stops eating for a while.

The best medicine for diarrhea is found in most kitchens, rolled oats work as well on rabbits as it does humans.

Both types of rabbit owners usually keep some sort of tool for trimming nails. Dog nail clippers work better than cat nail clippers.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
For ear mites, dandruff or crusty ears we use a dab of Ivermectin. It is put in their ears, usually. You can get it as a gel at the feed store. It's used to worm horses and I like the green apple flavored one since it smells nicer.

Cat/kitten flea drops if they need it.

Vet wrap and a Popsicle stick if there's a broken leg.

Superglue if they need stitches. It glues skin together real well, but be careful not to get it inside the wound and leave a place for the wound to drain.

People style triple antibiotic if it looks like it would be helpful.

Since our rabbits are all English angoras kept for fiber production, our most used medicine is the Ivermection for wool mites.

For wool block, pineapple and papaya, although we take their fiber off on a regular basis so there hasn't been much problem with that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your replies. We don't have enough stock right now to be a strict cull rabbitry, so I was hoping to find out what y'all keep on hand for the what ifs. I've used pretty green banana for baby rabbits we bought at a sale that had a little bit of diarrhea, but wasn't sure what to give for things like worms, infection, and things like that--after all things do happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts