What is in your library?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Mar 11, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

What favorite books do you own in your personal library about homesteading, gardening, animal raising, farming, etc.?
    Do you remember the first ones you got, and how long ago?

Rich

I can't remember the first ones, but I think it was a taxidermy course as a kid that I really never developed further, but then also about that time I had the ARBA rabbit book and things went chaotic from there. :haha:
    I don't have that many books, but probably about 30 or so on poultry, beekeeping, ducks, guineas, incubation, garden and landscaping books, cold climate gardening, putting food by, encyclopedia of organic gardening, a mess of books of westie terriers (showing mostly), hungarian dog breeds.....gosh more even I'll stop there.

2. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

my very first one was the "Foxfire" book..........things just rolled on from there.

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I have at least 2000 books. It would be easier for me to measure by volumn or weight. By the by, I don't own any "fiction" other than the classics.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
    --Marcus Tullius Cicero Roman statesman, scholar, orator

:worship:

5. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I have the C D L manuel, and hazmat books and there are the books from gardenway, also the F M C S R book collage text books on live stock as I collect books of interest to me along those lines,theres books on corn alfalfa and other crops to boot.

6. stonefly71

stonefly71 Well-Known Member

I have books from gardening,compass reading,animals,flyfishing,flytying,Hunting ,camping,homesteading and the list goes on. There are some on prospecting for gold also. Along with tons of mags on the same subjects. Any books I find on how to and books related to homesteading/self reliance typs I buy. Also have books on knife making and how to make a homemade long bow from scratch.And almost forgot wine and beer making some pasted from my Gpa who was and old bootlegger/runner back in his youth. Later Matt

7. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I couldn't possibly list all of the books I have because I have stacks of books on gardening, food preservation, butchering, guns, homesteading, animals/animals care, etc. I do remember the first ones I got was Storey's Basic Country Skills, Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living, and the Foxfire series and it just grew from there.

8. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

first homestead book: grow it! by richard w langer
    a lot of the fox fire series, ken kerns owner built homestead,loius bromfields farm series.plow mans folly .sheep and dog books occupy a lot of space as well as vet texts
    like haggis we measure books in weight(have to make sure the floor and shelves will hold them!!)

every thing from ag texts from 1920 too present day texts too waste water training and regulations with murder mysterys ,tractor manuels ,animal stories ,history, encylopedias classics etc.right now about half are stored waiting new book shelves

some day hope to have enough time to read :reread them!!
    always seem to be adding more as time flys by

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Most are packed, I have boxes and boxes of books.

The very first homestead type book I bought was John Jeavon's 'How to grow more vegetables.......etc.' That was in 81 and the first time I tried organic gardening. (I had garden conventionally.) I was also getting MEN then and a mag on alternative energy.

I have books on Theology, Medicine, herbal medicine, chemistry, physics, engineering, math, anatomy, nursing, identifying wild plants, growing just about anything, preserving food, caring for nearly any animal, some good fiction that I have read over and over, good nonfiction and history, home repair, wiring, plumbing, carpentry, quilt making, stained glass, painting, ............

10. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

#1 Favorite - Square Foot Gardening

This one book single handedly changed my black thumb to green.

11. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I'm like Redneck Woman..have so many books..The first one was probably John Vivens Practical Homesteading..remember milking our first goat with that book in one hand and the other literally on the "udder". Country Women book I have a couple copies of and give them away to women I met that want to get into homesteading. Has some adventure fiction books. Like to have books about people that accomplish things against the odds..Back to Bear Lake etc. Fox fire type books, Nearings books..on..on..on..Have a huge book case that takes up one whole wall in the house and a couple smaller ones also. My husband is getting good at building book cases. But I do enjoy my back issues of MENS, Countryside Magazine, Dairy Goat journals, Country Living, and of course Back Woods Home Magazines , Back Home Again. Have way to many magazines..back to the 1980's !!! I just love having books and magazines..never lonely. Have learned mostly everything about homesteading from reading and doing.

12. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Yup. We too have the Foxfire set.
    Also books on gardening, composting, canning, bee keeping, solar & wind power generation, horse shoeing, kayaking & navigation (terrestrial & marine).
    Collecting some pulp serials from my youth & older classics.
    Ah, yes... and Louis L'Amour!

13. DwnByTheCreek

DwnByTheCreek Mom of 2 boys(5 & 3)

Have lots of books too, collect them, but I have a weakness for Steven King novels, and love horror/suspense but I have also alot of refernce on horses, gardening, sewing and the like... oh yeh, lots of kids books for my 3 & 5 year old boys Have some classics... really like JRR tokken as well!!

My favorite book on homesteading would have to Storey's Basic Country skills

they have everthing and then some in that book

JoAnn
    :)

14. Ragamuffin2004

Ragamuffin2004 Well-Known Member

I don't remember the first one I bought. Must have been an organic gardening book.

Some of my favorites are: The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Insect and Disease Control;Chicken Tractor/Strawbale Edition by Andy Lee & Pat Foreman; The Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow (a must for anyone with chickens); Permaculture:A Designers Maual by Bill Mollison; How to Grow more vegetables by Jeavons; also The Backyard Homesead Mini-farm & Garden Log Book by Jeavons; How to Build Animal Housing by Carol Ekarius (just came out last year); The New Organic Grower by Coleman; John Seymour's The Self Sufficient Life; The Encyclopedia of Country Living; Fences for Pasture and Garden; The Complete Book of Edible Landscaping by Rosalind Creasy; The Handyman's Book; and the Storey's guide books, so far I have the ones on Poultry, turkeys, ducks, dairy goats, and pigs. And the Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook.

I have also have lots more on gardening, wilderness survivial skills, pet rabbits, alternative construction including building tipis and yurts, caring for livestock and poultry, alternative pet care, cooking and food perservation, crafts, a book on winemaking, some on natural cleaning, and natural health care. Oops, fogot one to name one of my favorites, The Green Pharamacy.

15. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Same here. I first read Carla's book when I was 19. I believe the first book I got though was a paperback freebie on gardening from the Louisiana Agriculture Dept. I still have it.

16. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

many years ago, my oldest daughter, for a school assignment was asked to tell how many books you have at home, and she guessed 200, and came home and started to count in the library and we also went to the shop and counted the books on the shop shelf, and she went back to school the next day and told the teacher she had guessed wrong, the teacher was prepared to lower the number (as a lot of kids were asking if they could count the telephone books and like), and she reported at least 5000, LOL,

a good number of the books are on how to, and a lot are classics and good reading, no romance novels or like, all good quality study or liturature or reference.

17. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Well-Known Member

My house is a library. I have been collecting books, magazines and other printed material for about 20 years, and I have over 10,000 books. I have an extensive collection of homesteading books that I keep adding to every chance I get. I don't watch TV, so I read about 5 books a week. Buying books is the one addiction I can't seem to kick, but then I don't really want to. lol

18. TC2

TC2 Active Member

Let's see....

Books on Poultry, gardening, guns, Foxfire, ect...
    Also like to read things a/b homesteading, living off the land, ect...
    Jane Kirkpatrick, Homestead
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander series
    William V. Reynolds, River Pilot series
    ??, Ecology of a Cracker Childhood, Wildcard Quilt

19. TC2

TC2 Active Member

Aha!

Janisse Ray is the author of the Cracker childhood books. Don't ya hate when that happens?!

20. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Vena and Bradford Angiers, At Home In the Woods, Living the Life of Thoreau Today, 1951, 1972, Sheridan House, New York

“Leave the city and go to the wilderness”, the book said. “I found a ‘fun’ book in the Banff bookstore,” Nancy said: she started reading to us while driving. We were on vacation in 1972 from my engineering job in San Francisco.

That is how we came to Canada and Homesteaded -- because of that book.

How about that -- well, you asked about books?

All the best,

Alex