What is happening with this Forum?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Little Quacker in OR, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

Just wondering what is going on. Opie can't get any help from anyone that I can tell? Maybe I just don't know what is really happening?

We no longer get e-mail notices when we are watching a topic. That is a real pain. There seems to be "no one at the helm" here anymore.

Are we missing something? Should we be going to the admin section for all of this stuff?

Did aliens really make off with Chuck? :p

Is it going to get better?

Thanks much....... :p LQ

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I notice a good number of topics started here that probably belong on one of the other formus such as 'General Chat'.
    Is that what you mean LQ?

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Almost any subject is relevant in this particular forum in my opinion. G\C is for the political\religious\philosophical debates which eventually turn into a Liberal vs. Conserative series of personal insults masquarding as responses to the the Thread Subject .
    ..............Homesteading questions can apply to just about any subject area as LONG AS the responses are void of any political\religious debates that degerate into the G\C insult Motiff . We are supposed to BE NICE when we participate in Homesteading Question(s) , and really , we Should be "Nice" ....ALL the Time. ..fordy... :eek: :)

4. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Been wondering the same thing myself. I noticed that Opie finally got the help he needed, that's good. As far as the email notifications, I'm wondering if they're going the same path avatars went.

I'm in agreement that there seems to be "no one at the helm" anymore.

5. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

I REALLY miss email notification....

6. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

I thought it (email notification) was a pain in the rear.
    I love the wit & humor here, but I COME HERE to read it. My inbox used to get spammed even if I had not opted for notices.
    Just my two cents... :)

7. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Good grief.........why can't people just get over the email notification? I guess opie found help by making a post that screwed up the whole board. That got attention alright.
    There are over 9,700 people going through here at one time or another. Things go wrong, features have to be dropped to make the board keep running without costing an arm and a leg.

8. oz in SC

Easy enough to simply opt out of email notification....

I LIKED having it so I would like it back.....

9. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

What happened to our e-mail notification was the question: what is the answer????

I would like to have e-mail notifications.

Thanks,

Alex

10. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

I thought my email program had gone screwy.

11. RMShepp

RMShepp Active Member

What is the answer to email notification? You've made a policy decision not to do it? It just won't work and no one can figure out why? What???

12. oz in SC

I believe that somehow everyones email notifications were sent to Mean Dean or something like that.

I am sure that would have been 'interesting'.....LOL

13. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

quite a while back (and I can't find the post now) chuck posted that for some reason the email notice was not working right. It was causing people to get tons and tons of spam so it was done away with. this was a month or more ago

14. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I guess I am wondering why, if other more specialty oriented forums can handle the e-mail notification business, then I expect this one to be able to do it too. I consider this the "premier forum" after all! :p

E-mail notification is important, it lets us know when we ask a question that someone has answered it. And to follow threads that we are interested in. I know nuttin' 'bout these 'puters, even though I am attending classes at our university, it still seems like magic to me. :eek: LOL

I also would love a general dog forum but what's the point if things don't work right on the ones that we are using now?

Maybe I am just spoiled? :(

I am happy that Opie FINALLY got some help!

So, my questions still stand. And I don't remember saying anything about anyone being or not being nice. Not anything at all to do with my questions or Opie's problems re getting some help here.

Thanks! Now I've got to remember what thread this is! LOL I envy those of you who have a memory!

LQ :yeeha:

15. Randy Dandy

Randy Dandy Well-Known Member

Hello Quacker in OR. Its me...Opie. Sorry if I got anyones panties in a wad. Thank you so much and those others that help send messages. I was pretty sure that all I needed was a password, and when I finally recieved it, I went straight to this forum and logged right in. Thanks again, Randy

16. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

I'm with Diane, whatever Chuck & Dean need to do to keep the board up and running is fine with me. I've never used the email thing. The Forum works fine for me, really fast, no problems.

If you want to follow a thread, simply make a folder in your Favorites called HT Forum, and bookmark the threads. When that thread is done, delete them from the folder. Its quite easy really.

17. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

Kyhippie is right. It wasn't more than a week or two ago that there was an admin post explaining why e-mail notification was temporarily down. Things like that happen, and given the fact that the administration of this board is largely a labor of love, I'm just happy each day to be able to find it up and running.

This forum is, in my opinion, extraordinary. There are a lot of really dedicated people behind the scenes making this all work, and as far as I know, they're not on anybody's payroll. I know for a fact that we, as members, are certainly not (absent the occasional contribution) keeping food on their tables. To see members asking petulantly, "Where are they?" makes be wonder why our admins would not just throw up their hands and say, "Screw it."

The consistent quality of this forum speaks highly of the people behind the scenes making it go. It also speaks highly of the members whose day-in-and-day-out presence on the board keep it vital and on track. I am not troubled by the occasional "off topic" post. Generally posts bear at least a tangential relationship to a subject of interest to homesteading types (e.g., discussions about movies and books with homesteading themes, internet access, health insurance) or have involved subjects of general interest about which homesteaders would be expected to have a special perspective (e.g., social security reform, liability insurance). Did you ever think a post about the price of TP at Walmart would generate such an elightening discussion of outback wiping techniques? It will be a sad day when this forum is so restricted as to admit only questions regarding fencing methods and hog feed. I am continually amazed by the fact that this board remains as vital and on-topic as it does. There's very little chaff, a minimum of idle chatter, and very little rancor. I don't know of another site that even comes close.

18. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

19. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Heck, I didn't even know that Opie needed help! :D

20. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

There have been lots of things going on in the lives of Chuck & Dean. Dean moved a few states away from Chuck and has started a new job. He was getting 700 e-mails a day. I think something like a trojan horse attacked the site... I know we were attacked & that's when the e-mail broke. Dean will get it fixed, we just need to be patient.

Chuck is a super busy guy. Check out his website if you want to know just how busy he is.

We had something like 10.4 MILLION page views last year. I think for THAT many views, we're doing good. We're averaging about 450 new members a month. The site is huge.... and it takes a lot to keep it running...

If you have a problem with something, PM Chuck or send him an e-mail Chuck@homesteadingtoday.com or PM another moderator, & we'll see what we can do to help you.

Check the Admin board. Your answer might be there, too...