Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so sick and tired of reading these stories about the government taking children away from loving families because some bureaucrat somewhere thinks he/she knows better ....

Isaiah Rider

Kayla and Hannah Diegel

Kathryn Blalock

There are many more cases out there, I do not have all the links ... these are just the ones I saw today. Stuff like this makes my blood boil.

At least Justina Pelletier and Baby Sammy are now home.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Back in the late 80's, early 90's I worked for DYFS (Division of Youth and Family Services) in NJ as an Investigator. At that time, we would do everything we could to keep a child with his/her family, relative, etc. rather than take them out. We would put as many services as we could into place to accomplish this if at all possible. I still know some who work in child services, and I know this is still the case. To take a child out of his/her home, there has to be something extreme going on...and you seldom will hear that side of the story since there is a confidentiality clause that the agency and workers have to keep.

·
Voice of Reason
52,183 Posts
To take a child out of his/her home, there has to be something extreme going on...and you seldom will hear that side of the story since there is a confidentiality clause that the agency and workers have to keep.
That's what I make of it. We're only hearing one side of the dispute. You have to believe that judges are being reasonable in these cases.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Well, there are millions of children, who are NOT being taken away from their parent's custody, and a few that are.

These one's being take are away, are involved in what appears to be very complex medical cases.

We are supposed to base our opinion off of news stories?

Allegedly, One child was in ICU for 30 days, then the mother took him from hospital to hospital to get him pain killers.

Was this the right thing to do? how are we supposed to know?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
http://www.legallykidnapped.net/

I've been following this guy on FB for awhile. We was with the DSS and quit because of the corruption and mistreatment of children involved in social services. Like many things the gov't has a hand in, it's a racket. Shameful and disgusting tactics are used to remove children for their homes is commonplace.

Read up on the experimental HIV drugs tested on kids in the foster care system. Doctors will go to extreme measures to have parents rights removed for the sake of drug trials. Or, for money.

I can't believe you still trust the gov't.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
CPS "experts" in this field should all be named 'Mengele'.........

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
http://www.legallykidnapped.net/

I've been following this guy on FB for awhile. We was with the DSS and quit because of the corruption and mistreatment of children involved in social services. Like many things the gov't has a hand in, it's a racket. Shameful and disgusting tactics are used to remove children for their homes is commonplace.

Read up on the experimental HIV drugs tested on kids in the foster care system. Doctors will go to extreme measures to have parents rights removed for the sake of drug trials. Or, for money.

I can't believe you still trust the gov't.
Personally, I didn't say I trusted the government, i just stated it's a bit difficult to base a view on a news story, which don't always contain all necessary facts.

Maybe "the government" was wrong - I don't know and certainly there are problems, but here are surely many instances where CPS does the right thing, or should we just get rid of CPS altogether and let all parents have their "rights"?

This could be more lies. but it look like the vast majority of HIV infected children, receiving test drugs, were NOT in the foster care system.

Officials estimated that 5 percent to 10 percent of the 13,878 children enrolled in pediatric AIDS studies funded by NIH since the late 1980s were in foster care. More than two dozen Illinois foster children remain in studies today.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7736157/n...t-tested-aids-drugs-foster-kids/#.VEubVMlNxm0

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
And when you're talking HIV-infected children, I'll bet in 90+ percent of the cases, the mode of transmission is from a drug-addicted mother who obtained the virus through needle-sharing or sex work. Of course, drug addiction also makes it more likely that a woman will lose her children to the foster care system ... thus I'm not surprised that the stated percentage of children in the drug trials were foster children.

That doesn't necessarily mean that something evil was going on, or that children with no one to protect their interests were being used as guinea pigs.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I make of it. We're only hearing one side of the dispute. You have to believe that judges are being reasonable in these cases.
Honestly, that is how I felt up until some time ago. I felt that a judge would certainly be reasonable and impartial. But I have lost that trust. Aside from these particular cases, it seems that all you hear about are decisions that are slanted due to political or personal beliefs of the judges. You can almost predict which way the Supreme Court will rule, who is going to agree and who is going to dissent. The 9th circuit court tends to hand down more liberal rulings, the 6th circuit tends to go slightly more conservative. Judges let convicted child rapists off with a few months in jail or on probation - obviously, they do not feel that sexual abuse of children is that big of a deal. Other judges put them away for a long long time.

I believe that we need child protective services because there are many children that need all the help and protection they can get. I also believe, that most parents love their children and care for them best they can. However, every now and then it seems that there are cases of someone going on a power trip. I am not familiar with all of the details of the cases I posted links about in the OP but I have followed the Justina Pelletier nearly from the start. I have not seen anything that justified her removal from her family. The Boston Globe has a long article on their website about the details (here is a link to part 1).

It seems that these cases often involve children with disorders that some doctors do not believe in (things like PANDAS come to mind) but others have found ways to treat and can show improvements in their patients. And then there is always someone with agenda (one of the articles in the OP mentions a genetic research). In Justina's case there was a psychologist who believes that 50% of all illness in pediatric patients is just in their head and that they just burden the healthcare system by going to the doctor (see link to her study here, the psychologist who saw her is Dr. Bujoreanu ) . So naturally, she was predisposed to believe Justina was making everything up and her parents were supporting her in the "pretending". How do you then explain that a girl who was able to participate in physical activities was confined to a wheelchair once they stopped her treatment and started treating her for a psychological disorder. Even before the CPS released Justina back to her family, they started secretly taking her to her old doctors who were treating her for mitochondrial disease!

I can only speak for myself but I can only think of occasion when I took a child to the doctor and the doctor could not find anything wrong. My son woke up crying that his ear hurt (he was 3 or 4 years old at the time). I took the complaint seriously because he has a history of recurrent ear infections and had a surgery at 2 years old for that. When the doctor looked into his ears, they were fine. Later that day he stopped complaining about ear ache. Could he have made it up? Maybe ... But our pediatrician actually said that it was better to have it checked out than not. And this one incident certainly does not make up 50% of our doctor visits.

And then there is the whole issue of gag orders on parents. Why are parents of these children not allowed to publicly express their opinion or tell what is going on with their family?

I feel like little by little parents' rights are being eroded. Before we know it someone will slip in the bill like the Children and Young People Bill in Scotland where every child is assigned a social worker who gets to check how moms and dads are parenting their children (they are referred to as "named person" in the bill). Imagine if someone was checking every parenting decision you make ... SCARY!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts