Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister had a hystorectomy several years ago and has been taking no estrogen due to it causing cancer. Well now her bones are in terrible shape! A very minor accident from walking cause her to have 5 broken bones, some of which shattered. We realize that she will need some sort of estrogen but we don't want to trade one disease for another. What is the best natural estrogen that you know of? And what can she do, naturally, to build bone density quckly? She is not even 40 yet! Thanks much!!

G

·
Exercise is the best way to increase bone density.

There are a number of natural estrogens. Like black cohosh and wild yam.

·
Banned
7,802 Posts
Walking is the best weight-bearing exercise recommended. Also, compared to other estrogenic plants, Hops has the most natural estrogen in it and a tea or infusion can be prepared from it. However, it is also a sedative so caution should be taken if drinking it during the day-time. Another herb that will help to build bone-density is nettles and an infusion can be made from that as well.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Magnesium - the body simply cannot absorb calcium without adequate magnesium. Citrate is the best. oxide is only 4% bioavailable - essentially, its' useless.

SOme studies that I have read suggest that most osteo-illnesses begin with low magnesium.... Other studies indicate that some 80% of hte nations people are MG deficient.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Also, keeping your body more on the alkaline side than the acidic side. Your kidneys pull calcium from the bones to buffer your blood to keep it in the ideal range for pH. It involves dietary changes that many don't care to make.

The big three which cause acidic tendencies in the body are animal meats, dairy products, and sweets (moderation is the key). Soda pop is a big, big no no. I read somewhere recently to counteract the level of acidity introduced to your body by one can of pop, would require ten equal portions of water.

Also, if walking is giving her shattered and fractured bones, she may want to look into some bone building medications to get her started. They act rather quickly, and once she has built back up to the point where walking is no longer dangerous, then maybe try a more natural approach.

It sounds to me like a big boost from allopathic medicine would do her a world of good right now.

Maybe find a good holistic MD who works with a good nutritionist.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Kee Wan said:
Magnesium - the body simply cannot absorb calcium without adequate magnesium. Citrate is the best. oxide is only 4% bioavailable - essentially, its' useless.

SOme studies that I have read suggest that most osteo-illnesses begin with low magnesium.... Other studies indicate that some 80% of hte nations people are MG deficient.
Phosphorus (sp?) and Vitamin D are important too. All from green leafy vegetables. The calcium in milk is not a good source (despite what the milk producers will tell you) because it is bound on a mollecular level with casein (sp?).

Lots of green leafy vegetables and sunshine and exercise.

Sorry about the spelling, I'm a little braindead today.

donsgal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.