Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Symptoms:
All over stomach pain - really bad, but not ER bad. Not "writhing on the floor" bad, but nearly.
It lasted from Christmas evening to now. 3 times I thought it was gone - I felt better for 24 - 36 hours, and then it came back. Bad.
A little nausea. I threw up only one time during all this.
BAD diarrhea that entire time, except on those 3 brief reprieves.
No fever that I know of. I didnt check.
Worse at night.
Worse when lying down.
No particular foods seem to trigger it. I cant make out any patterns.

But, I got off of caffeine, sugar, and cut way back on gluten anyway. I am feeling fine this morning after a 4 hr episode yesterday.

I have 3 days of 4-H stock show madness starting today and I cant be sick! I'm scared to eat anything.

Oh yeah - my husband is out of work and we have no insurance and NO $. So, dont tell me to go to the dr because I wont. Cant. :rolleyes::Bawling:

·
Premium Member
9,545 Posts
Could you describe the pain a little more. Where is it exactly? Worst in one spot than another? Where's it start? How long does it last? What seems to make it better? When did it first start and how often do you have it?

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Sounds like it MIGHT be your gall bladder, but I'm certainly not a doctor. Do you have a call-in health line where you could talk to a nurse or nurse practitioner?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I thought it might be my gall bladder, but I dont have pain more on the right side. It's all over - more up high than down low. But, not more on the right side.

I had diarrhea for a week before Christmas, with NO other symptoms. On Christmas day, I ate too much. Darn it. I usually am very careful NOT to do that! And that evening I got a bad stomach ate and just figured it was because I ate too much.

The stomach ache continued day after day, non stop (sometimes worse than others), and my son got a stomach ache and diarrhea at that same time. There was a stomach virus going around the community, so we figured that's all it was.

In a week, my son was better. He has a LOT of stomach problems, all the time because of many food allergies, and gluten intolerance. So I am not really sure if either one of us ever even had that stomach virus. Because my problem is worse if I eat anything that's not really mild. His was not like that.

·
9,934 Posts
Gall bladder pain doesn't have to be on the right side. Most people experience a sharp, almost intolerable pain, high under BOTH ribs and across their midsection. There may also be pain around your back (along and above your bra line and between your shoulder blades) and in your right shoulder area and up your neck.

My MIL, an RN, said they used to say "fat, fair and forty" for the typical gall bladder sufferer. In other words, if you're a bit overweight (you don't have to be FAT, just carrying a few extra pounds), light skinned and forty years old or older, the chances that pain like this is your gall bladder is likely.

I hope it's not -- because you don't deal with that kind of pain by ignoring it, and you've already said you aren't going to the doctor.

Turmeric can help if that is what it is (and I'm not saying that it is, just that it sounds like it might be), but if it's gone beyond just an attack and is approaching the need for surgery, nothing BUT surgery is going to help. Sorry.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
I had gall bladder issues secondary to all those stupid meds I had to take for the Lyme. It was excruciating. The pain was high in the stomach, felt like chest pain almost, and when the pain really started kicking in I couldn't pin point exactly where it was. But I also had the tell tale right shoulder area pain. I was laid out on the couch whimpering for hours at a time. I finally had to get a med FOR gall bladder sludge and once I went off the IV meds, the symptoms disappeared altogether.

My symptoms mirrored yours as follows:

nausea, diarrhea, no fever, worse at night, worse laying down, no real rhyme or reason as far as foods I ate. (though they say to stay away from spicy stuff).

I hope hope HOPE you are just in a prolonged stomach bug, but I am afraid this is way too long for a simple bug. They usually last a few days, max (usually). The fact that you're having "episodes" lasting hours at a time makes me suspicious for gall bladder. Remember, not everyone will have every symptom in the same way.

Hugs and prayers, it stinks to be sick and still have to function.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh my goodness. The right side of my neck was killing me for 2 days, and is just now getting be less painful. I did not connect that pain with the stomach problems at all. I just thought I slept wrong.

Well, I have got all the stuff I need to do gall bladder cleanse, but I need to wait until Saturday night to do it because I have to be up at the fairgrounds for the stock show from this afternoon through Saturday evening. From what I have read, you better stay close to a bathroom after doing a cleanse.:(

Fat-Fair-Forty? hmmm...pretty close to right on target. And two of my sisters and my dad have all had their gall bladders removed.

I will be fasting from all greasy and heavy foods, and living on apple juice and raw fruit and veggies until then. Will stop by the health food store today to see about turmeric - can't spend much...

Thanks for the help - I did suspect the gall bladder, but the major symptoms weren't quite lining up.

·
9,934 Posts
Ark -- If you have an ethnic grocery in your area, turmeric will be cheaper there. Asian or Indian dishes use it a lot, and you should be able to buy a big package of it for only a few dollars. At the health food store, it will probably cost more.

It doesn't have to be taken in capsule form -- make a curry for dinner tonight and use lots of turmeric. You can also take the turmeric straight in warm water or fat free broth (doesn't taste great, but taste is not why you're taking it, and it's not TERRIBLE)

I often make turmeric rice -- make rice as normal, but with chicken stock rather than water, and add a tablespoon of turmeric. It's nice with a grilled fish fillet or piece of chicken -- or even just a fresh salad. Add some frozen peas while cooking the rice and top with a chopped hard boiled egg, and you've got a lovely simple meal which will help keep your gall bladder functioning well.

I find that herbal supplements work a whole lot better if you incorporate them into your regular cooking and nutrition, rather than taking them as a treatment in capsule form. Maybe it's because it's then a way of life, or maybe it's what they displace in your regular diet (too much salt, fat, etc.).

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oooh! I found some turmeric at the grocery store for $3!

I'm going to make some of that chicken broth/rice - it sounded really good! Also sounded easy on the stomach. LOL - especially with homemade broth. :p

My family doesn't care for curry at all, but I grew up eating it at least 3 or 4 times a month, and I love it! I might just make some for me only. Wouldnt that be weird! LOL

·
Registered
144 Posts
This sure sounds like Gall Bladder issues. If this continues, or gets worse...don't ignore it. My DD was having the same symptoms. She ignored them and ended up in ICU with acute pancreatitis. Her pancreas was damaged to the point that she is an insulin-dependent diabetic now. Gall Bladder issues can be very serious.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not a doctor, so I'm not going to play guessing games. Get thee to a doctor ASAP.
...as I said....... but, thanks.

I explained above why I cannot go to a dr. If I walk in with no insurance and no money, do you really think they will see me?
And no, there is not a free clinic in my area. And I will not go to the ER where they'd HAVE to see me, because the resulting bill would be astronomically outrageous!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This sure sounds like Gall Bladder issues. If this continues, or gets worse...don't ignore it. My DD was having the same symptoms. She ignored them and ended up in ICU with acute pancreatitis. Her pancreas was damaged to the point that she is an insulin-dependent diabetic now. Gall Bladder issues can be very serious.
Thank you Grits57.
Sorry about your DD!! :(

I was really careful what I ate yesterday and made it through the first stock show day with no problems. If I can just keep that up until tomorrow night I will be able to do the cleanse. I am basically on a fluids diet. Lots of apple juice and lots of tea. Kombucha seems to REALLY help as well!

I wont ignore it if it gets worse - hubby says he doesnt care what the resulting hospital bill would be, and that he would drag me there kicking and screaming if he had to. LOL We do understand that life is more important that worrying about $.

·
9,934 Posts
Please be careful doing that cleanse. If you've got fully developed stones (not just sludge), it's possible that a cleanse can bring on an attack. Make sure there is someone around to help you if that happens.

I'd really feel better about this if you were able to get to a doctor. As others have said, this is nothing to mess about with. I'm glad to hear that your DH is willing to drag you there if necessary -- make sure he's around on Saturday while you're doing that cleanse, okay?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Ark - I hate to be the bearer of bad news - but I had the same symptoms and ignored them for the same reason as you - no insurance. I finally couldn't walk upright and went to the ER. It was almost too late. My gallbladder was infected, a stone was caught in the duct, and when it was all said and done, the infection progressed to the point where my red blood cells were dying and the docs diagnosed TTP. My family was called to the hospital and I almost died. In fact, even the doctors are calling it a miracle from God that I survived and most doctors here don't like to credit God for recovery! At the end of it all, I am still weak and recovering and I owed $755,000, give or take. That has been taken care of, but it was humbling. Please, see a doc. Even $20,000 is better than nearly a million or worse.... loss of your life.

Jessie

Edit: read the rest of the thread - glad you won't ignore it. I never thought gallbladder could be so serious. Boy was I wrong!:bash::eek:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Can you recall what you ate in the time frame of the symptoms worsening. The surgeon told dh that if it was gallbladder eating fatty foods would make it worse. Not taking care of a gallbladder problem can destroy your liver so don't mess around with it.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I've had the exact same symptoms since the day after Christmas, only I did have a fever for a few days. My dd and I both got a bad strain of stomach flu that's going around in our area. We both got better for a couple of days, then WHAM, back to the bathroom again. Not fun. The dizzyness, nausea, and weakness reminded me of my pregnancy days.

I've had my gallbladder taken out--this wasn't the same thing. This stomach bug actually hurt worse at night and when I was lying down. I've never had one like this and hope I never do again!

Like the others have said, if it keeps up get it checked out. Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Ark, my Aunt had an infected gall bladder that spread to her pancreas and led to her developing Type 1 diabetes. Do not be stubborn. I too have insurence issues but I went to the doctor in terrible pain with chronic diarrhea two weeks ago and they have scheduled a colonoscopy for Monday. You have suffered long enough just go and get it done. Hospitals have payment plans. It took me 5 years to pay for my daughter's birth. Don't turn something simple into a medical crisis.
Linda

1 - 20 of 33 Posts